Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Kill me now I hate my life cause of my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kill me now I hate my life cause of my exhaust

Tried putting headers on yesterday, the old headers bolts were all rusted, took forever to get those out, had to lift the motor on both sides, put the headers in, my spark plug broke in the motor, got that out, rebolted the headers realized I couldnt tightnen the spark plugs cause of the headers!! it gets worse, right about now I am seriously thinking of killing myself, had to take the headers out, well unbolt them, put the sparks in find the right firing order, pluged everything back in, took another 2 hours sawing all the messed up welding job on my old exhaust, this was an 9 hour job but it gets worse, got up the next morning put all the **** backtogether battery plug wires, started car, it started then quit, tried starting it again, nope didnt start, my fuel pump SH*T the bed, I just stared at the dude helping me, he is a good automachanic, my best friends brother, went around trying to find a holley high capacity fuel pump, nobody had them in stock, finaly found a place that would get them in 3 days paid 150 bucks and my car is sitting outside in a parking lot and I have one huge headace cause I havnt eat drink or slept in 2 days... thanks holley for making the worst installation headers ever, oh and thanks for making your fuel pumps suck SOOO much that they brake... if any of you have worst luck with cars please tell me, im seriously deppressed... beyond the point of reason, im broke I owe 600 bucks and now I have a non working car, and im praying that the dude was right and it was just my feul pump... as I said kill me now
Old 08-04-2001, 03:50 PM

Well, you shoulda checked ur plugs before the fuel pump. By the way, it took me 3 days to put on my edelbrock headers, about 14 hours of installation time so don't fret. When I first put my headers on...I wanted to hear them so bad, well I couldn't because I was running on only a few cylinders due to my gay spark plugs. I think I broke a few during installation. It seems you did fine and it's not your fault the fuel pump went out (if it really did), it was just "that time".

------------------
1990 G92 5spd LB9 - 3.42 80,000 miles

Accel Ignition/Wires (8.8mm), Advanced Timing, TB Bypass, Ported and Gasket Matched Plenum, Synthetic Motor Oil, 160 Thermo, TPIS Airfoil, K&N Air Filters, Centerforce I Pressure Plate and Clutch, Edelbrock TES Headers, Dual Cats, Edelbrock RPM Series Catback, Homemade Ram Air, Bosch +4 Platinum Plugs

14.4 @ 94mph w/2.0622 60ft (w/o headers and catback)

14.426 @ 96.19mph w/2.167 60ft(w/headers and catback)

Also newly modded w/o track times:

Holley AFPR, Underdrive Pulleys, KYB Shocks and Struts, Crane Ignition
Old 08-04-2001, 05:49 PM

Wow, I am not the only one. Dude our problems are exactly the same except for the fuel pump. My original exhaust was like swiss cheese, so many holes. It sounded awful and rattled too. The dealership told me I had a loose baffle or something in my cat. I had them sawed off at a local muffler shop, and turns out the dealership had actually gutted them and welded them back up. The dealership did this can you believe that, and then lied and told me they were rattling when they knew they were hollow. They also replaced the muffler with a crappy Flowmaster. Then the muffler shop put up some pipe in place of the cats. Tack weld here, tack weld there, muffler putty everywhere. WTF!? With school, a rediculous amount of homework, and low cash it took a year to get my SLPs in. Just last week I found a muffler shop that isn't run by retards. Now I can get the cats and muffler welded. I go to drive there and the car will not start. For me it was just a battery. Hang in there you will get it. I know it looks bad now.

------------------
91 Z28 1LE 5.7 automatic
SLP headers, random technology cats, borla muffler, Accel 8.8 wires, Hotchkis STB

boycott Sam Pierce Chevrolet
Old 08-04-2001, 05:54 PM

I hope it gets better, I really do it just makes me so mad, I poored all my money into this car, money that was supposed to help pay for college, now it wont start and the dude said the fuel pump is bad, I trust him he is working for free he is my best friends brother but what if its not, what if I totaly f*ucked everything up and my car is junked, no school no anything god I hope my car is ok, if any of you know anything that would help me out, with fuel pump or whatever I would appreciate it, im lucky its an external one...

thanks
deppressed man
Old 08-04-2001, 06:05 PM

dont feel bad i just put a new motor in my car cuase the oil pump pickup fell off the pump.had to drop the tranny cause the the motor was hitting it got the tranny back in and relized the flex plate was on backwards. took the tranny back out pulled the flexplate off find out it was on right the whole time and had to put the tranny back in

------------------
91 Z28 slp headers adj reg accell cap rotor coil comp cam roller
random tech cats flowmaster catback
new motor almsot in
Old 08-04-2001, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1986 Sport Coupé
Engine: 305-4v
Transmission: 700R4 and TransGo2
I had my Hooker shorties and exhaust put on yesterday: more than $1500 bucks Canadian! Man, I am kind of blue over it all, too

Especially when you were quoted less than $800 ...
Old 08-04-2001, 06:42 PM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 7004r
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sitting Bull:
I had my Hooker shorties and exhaust put on yesterday: more than $1500 bucks Canadian! Man, I am kind of blue over it all, too

Especially when you were quoted less than $800 ...
</font>
if you were quoted $800 then thats all you legally have to pay. Any more work they do they have to absorb if they've quoted you a different number. Unless your a nice guy and pay them the difference anyway

It took me a full day to install my $180 CDN dynomax shorties and I thought that was bad

maybe I will drop the idea of getting different headers for now!

Old 08-04-2001, 07:49 PM

Is it cranking and just not firing, or cranking weakly, or not at all? I can try to help you with more information. Also, what engine/model year is the car? Don't give up yet, man, I'm sure you didn't hurt anything that bad and maybe not at all. Sit back and go over the basics and I'm sure you'll get it running again soon.

------------------
1990 IROC 350
Mods: Too busy trying to make it run right to mod it.
Airfoil, Dynomax cat-back, Accel coil, 180 t-stat, Bald Eagle tires,
Hypertech fan switch, Accel 23# injectors, Holley AFPR, ported plenum,
Ruger P95DC, hot wife, new oil filter, thick rubber floormats, no cats.
18.0 @ 85MPH since I'm one big-a$$ MF
"It's better to have and not need than to need and not have."
Old 08-04-2001, 09:27 PM

JETHROIROC, I would so appreciate any help, I will give you all the details.. ok its an 88 formula firebird, it originally had a 305 but now the women I bought it from said they put a 350 in it, they did tons of work, it has an edelbrock 750 cfm carb and edelbrock intakemanifold, ok ill try and explain this other thing to since im not to good at cars im leaning, I started it, it ran for like 10 seconds and stalled, this is after everything was installed, ok so I started it again, ran and stalled, then it wouldnt start, my best friends brother is a mechanic and is pretty knowledagable he looked at my car and the little plastic bubble thing from the fuel line and there was NO gas in it, he said thats not right.. so he went back to the gas tank, and said for me to crank it, so I did it and he said the fuel pump was not turning on, my best friends cousin also a mechanic looked at it and listened into the gas tank and said the pump was not engaging, its weird its a carb but there is an in-line (out side) eletrical pump, it was a holley, the people at autozone said carbs usualy have mechanical pumps but my best friends brother knows what he is talking about and said it was an outside electrical pump, beats me you guys would probably know why it is like that, I would be so gratefull for any input on my problem, if you think its the pump, or whatnot, maybe its the wire from the pump is not connected to the engine maybe I disconnected it, but he said the pump has its own electrical system so I have no clue, you guys are the pro's thank you so much... atleast there looks like there might be some light
Old 08-04-2001, 09:46 PM

It probably has both the stock in-tank pump and an aftermarket inline pump the previous owner added with the carb for more flow. Check the wiring going to both pumps and look for anything obvious like a cut or disconnected connector. It is a pretty odd coincidence that the pump went out right with the header installation, although I've heard of stranger things. I would retrace my steps and work your way from each fuel pump along their entire circuits looking for something you may have damaged or forgotten. If you put the key in the ignition and turn the switch to "ON" (the position right before start), you should hear a buzzing/whirring noise from the rear of the car for about two seconds. That is the fuel pump priming. However, since they've switched to a carb the stock in-tank pump may be disabled in favor of using just the in-line pump. Jack the car up, get under it with your friend, and try to decide exactly how the system the previous owner installed works, and check for an electrical signal at the pump with the key on. Since it's not a stock system, this may require some experience to troubleshoot. Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bklucas12:
I hope it gets better, I really do it just makes me so mad, I poored all my money into this car, money that was supposed to help pay for college, now it wont start and the dude said the fuel pump is bad, I trust him he is working for free he is my best friends brother but what if its not, what if I totaly f*ucked everything up and my car is junked, no school no anything god I hope my car is ok, if any of you know anything that would help me out, with fuel pump or whatever I would appreciate it, im lucky its an external one...

thanks
deppressed man
</font>
Here is something to help you out: It happens to all of use, and we get just as angry and scared, but in the end it will work, and you will have such a huge smile on your face when you're driving around that you will have forgotten what a bitch it was to get there.

You are VERY lucky if its an external pump. If replacing it does not fix your problem(and I really hope it does), check every fuse you can find, near the battery, under the dash, check the fuel pump relay on the firewall.. trace the power around the car and see if its getting to the pump, you can find a diagram showing the route power follows from the battery to the pump and find where it isn't getting across with a cheap test light. Change your fuel filter, it may be clogged.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:17 AM

Hell guys dont feel to bad my damn camaro has given me so many fits I went and bought me a brand new Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 4.7L 5 speed with 3.92 gears, now I can bust the 'maros **** with it and haul $#it with it too! HAHA! Best of Both worlds! I still have the 'maro though gonna start drag racing her!! Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2001, 11:20 AM

does it start on starting fluid? kind of odd that it happened like it did. if it does start it is fuel problem. mechanics should know how to isolate the problem fairly simple. i am not a mech. and i knkow how to do it.you can get a spark tester and test each plug wire, making sure you have firing order correct, and plugs are good. make sure you somehow did not pinch the fuel line when putting headers in or lifting motor up

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/gdm

------------------
87 z28 bowtie aluminum 420small block dry sump crower lt. wt. knife edged crank oliver lt wt rods brodix track 1's super ram intake slp 1 3/4 headers accel dfi art carr 700 r4 3.42 gears ssm sub frame/ladder bars.....other parts on the way ,soon to be finished!! couple more weeks!!!
Old 08-05-2001, 02:08 PM

firing order is right, fuel lines are good as long as I can see, im pretty sure its a fuel pump problem, its an eletrical in-line fuel pump, connected to a carb, go figure, the guy said it should turn on when you turn the key, he listend and said it didnt, today I went over there to have it towed back to my house and a friend looked at the fuses to the fuel pump, he said the ones inside where good he isnt a mechanic or anything he just checked, he didnt know if there were any in the motor area, I bought a new holley 50 gph fuel pump hopefully thats the right one, it comes tuesday if that doesnt work then it may be electrical I hope it works, I need my car to work bad... thanks for the help guys