Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Cheap exhaust: Can it sound good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans Am
Cheap exhaust: Can it sound good?

Hey everyone, I just have a few questions about cheap exhaust systems. Since times are tough I really can't afford a really nice stainless Borla, Magnaflow etc etc setup...I just want a full system all included. I found a nice Jegs system for 300 bucks. 2.5" pipes, long tube headers, the whole set with turbo mufflers, I'm definitely going with some Flowmaster Super 44's to top it off in back instead of the reg mufflers, but here's what I want to know:

This may sound ignorant but I mean isn't it mainly headers/mufflers/proportionate piping for the HP you're running what really matters rather than the exact material used to make the pipes? I mean besides the headers and mufflers isn't the rest of the exhaust just...pipe...? Is there anything extra I can do with the pipes before installing the system to make them sound better/last longer as far as inner/outer coating is concerned? I'm definitely welding it together instead of clamping so I'm sure that's a plus.

Really guys let me know what's up. I'm just trying to get my car on the road and in good working order, all the upgrades can come later. I'm not being frugal because I want to be, it's just that's how it is right now and I want to ride.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TPI V8
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Stock V6 Rear End
Re: Cheap exhaust: Can it sound good?

Depends on how cheap you are talkin about! My exhaust is custom that I made with a few parts I got on Jegs. Total cost was around $500 for the full system, headers and everything.

As for coating, the main reason you coat it is to retain heat inside of the exhaust, vs letting it radiate out into your engine bay. Mild steel is bad at retaining the heat, while Stainless Steel is better, but Ceramic Coated is the best.

As for welding vs clamping... no real gain or loss! Welding is just more perminant

Why flowmaster? everyone does that! Find some random company and check for muffler price. I seen some $20 chambered mufflers sound better than $200 chambered mufflers.

Exhaust size is proportionate to your air intake. Bigger the engine, or more CFM flowing into your engine, the bigger exhaust you need to flow said air. But do not oversize or the pulses restrict your exhaust, and you lose exhaust velocity for a scavenging effect. I would say go 2.5" exhaust and you should be fine for a 305ci or a 350ci, naturally aspirated.

I am sure you can slap together a cheap exhaust for 400-500 bucks like I did and have it sound MEAN! Good luck on finding the parts!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Car: 91 RS Vert, 87 SC T-Top
Engine: LO3, LG4
Transmission: 700r4's
Axle/Gears: 2.73, not sure yet

I have the cheapest exhaust ever. It costed my $3 from home depot. All I had to buy was a cut off wheel. No mufflers or cats. Sounds amazing!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Racing_Master
Depends on how cheap you are talkin about! My exhaust is custom that I made with a few parts I got on Jegs. Total cost was around $500 for the full system, headers and everything.

As for coating, the main reason you coat it is to retain heat inside of the exhaust, vs letting it radiate out into your engine bay. Mild steel is bad at transferring the heat, while Stainless Steel is better, but Ceramic Coated is the best.

As for welding vs clamping... no real gain or loss! Welding is just more perminant

Why flowmaster? everyone does that! Find some random company and check for muffler price. I seen some $20 chambered mufflers sound better than $200 chambered mufflers.

Exhaust size is proportionate to your air intake. Bigger the engine, or more CFM flowing into your engine, the bigger exhaust you need to flow said air. But do not oversize or the pulses restrict your exhaust, and you lose exhaust velocity for a scavenging effect. I would say go 2.5" exhaust and you should be fine for a 305ci or a 350ci, naturally aspirated.

I am sure you can slap together a cheap exhaust for 400-500 bucks like I did and have it sound MEAN! Good luck on finding the parts!
Thanks for the input man, appreciate it. Yeah I'm going 2 1/2 inch as it's a 350, pretty mild, about 300 hp.

This is the headers/exhaust I want to get.

Headers:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30065/10002/-1

Exhaust:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30559/10002/-1

Idk, I might go with this set of Hedmans for the extra 100, what do you guys think?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/28150/10002/-1
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

I like my $239 LS1 cat-back on my L98. Texas Speed & Performance Rumbler

My Videos
Old 09-07-2009, 11:47 PM

Sorry about the extra post, editing is being weird but I have a second gen btw, just don't want anyone to think I'm senile if they check the links I posted. This site has been a much better help tech-wise than second gen forums I've been too. I'm going out on a limb by saying most third gen owners either own or have owned a second gen. My third gen is complete for now, just messing with the old bird.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TPI V8
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Stock V6 Rear End

By the stuff I saw, you have a second gen camaro? IF not, then those headers wont fit (I tried full length second gen camaro headers on my third gen, one fits, the passenger side one does not fit, if I Remember, drivers side does... or other way around... bah ONE side doesnt fit)
Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Racing_Master
By the stuff I saw, you have a second gen camaro? IF not, then those headers wont fit (I tried full length second gen camaro headers on my third gen, one fits, the passenger side one does not fit, if I Remember, drivers side does... or other way around... bah ONE side doesnt fit)
79 Trans Am
Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 PM

Car: 1991 z28
Engine: 5.7 tpi
Transmission: th700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I got the Dynomax cat/back kit from Summit. I realize that the "I" pipe is "only" 2 3/4" diameter, but, this combo is "quiet" during normal driving, but, under accelleration, it will bring a smile to your face and make others take notice.I love it! Randy
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 PM

Should I go with an H pipe as well?