Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Need to plug the smog pipe holes on the stock manifold

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro TBI 5.0
Transmission: Auto
Need to plug the smog pipe holes on the stock manifold

I have a 1987 trans am and im clearing the engine bay as much as i can. Im eliminating the entire smog system and i need to plug the 4 holes on each of the two stock exhaust manifolds. On each manifold there were three on the side and one on the top all the way towards the back. It looks like a brass npt fitting would do it. Anyone know what size it couuld be?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?
Re: Need to plug the smog pipe holes on the stock manifold

1/4" NPT , available at most hardware stores . good luck .
Old 05-18-2011, 11:59 AM

Car: 91 Camaro TBI 5.0
Transmission: Auto

Excellent, thanks, do you believe aluminum plugs will be fine?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '99 Cobra
Engine: 4.6 DOHC 32V
Transmission: T-45
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Originally Posted by Excellegions
Excellent, thanks, do you believe aluminum plugs will be fine?
probably, but I think you'll find brass before aluminum at a hardware store. use some copper RTV on the threads if you like, just to be sure they are sealed for good
Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 PM

Car: 92 L98 Z28 Heritage Hard Top
Engine: L98 350 w/ HSR,24lbs inj,AFPR
Transmission: TCI Super Street Fighter W/3300 sta
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Detriot NoSpin,LPW cover

I used brass plumbing fittings, and it works very good
Old 10-09-2017, 09:22 AM

Car: 1994 firebird
Engine: 427ci lsx bowtie block
Transmission: tremec t56 micro edged gears
Axle/Gears: Strange dana 60 with racing spool

Originally Posted by ScottyRock
I used brass plumbing fittings, and it works very good
Lowes has the 1/4-18 npt drill and tap set as well as the brass plugs in the plumbing ilse just in case they break like they did on my car. Had to take the manifolds off Drilled them out, tapped em, plugged em and it works great. All so i could put some nice spark plug wire dividers on.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 580 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

[QUOTE=sofakingdom

The correct plug is not ¼" pipe, although that will usually somewhat sorta kinda almost work for the most part without leaking too bad (that is, not too much worse than most engines with this kind of "maintenance" already leak elsewhere). Correct size is 5/16" inverted flare.
[url]https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-46696-785-452.aspx[/url]
Old 10-09-2017, 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=Tuned Performance;6175055]
Originally Posted by sofakingdom

The correct plug is not ¼" pipe, although that will usually somewhat sorta kinda almost work for the most part without leaking too bad (that is, not too much worse than most engines with this kind of "maintenance" already leak elsewhere). Correct size is 5/16" inverted flare.
[url
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-46696-785-452.aspx
I took a few of the un broken smog pipes with the threaded ends to lowes and they thread all the way in tight to a female 1/4" npt steel fitting by hand. Im not sure how they'd fit into a 1/4" female threaded piece of steel when they are 5/16" inverted flare... I started the car up and have 0 leaks at the plugged smog tube holes or anywhere else in the manifolds or collectors, at least none that I could see, hear, or feel. Oh and when i chased the threads of the undrilled holes that the tube ends didnt break in, the tap went in without taking metal out like thebthread pitch was different just some of the soot and wasnt loose like its the wrong size. Just saying.

Last edited by polygaryd; 10-09-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Im not sure how they'd fit into a 1/4" female threaded piece of steel when they are 5/16" inverted flare...
Because the thread pitch is the same, or at least close enough over the short length involved; and the diameter is close enough that they go in far enough before the straight flare-nut thread bottoms out on the tapered pipe thread, or vice-versa depending on what combination of mismatched parts you're screwing together, especially with all the rust and soot and whatnot, to where they seal more or less well enough that you don't too much notice the difference. Even more so if you spoooooge em up real good with sealer.

They're 5/16" inverted flare.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:36 AM

Because the thread pitch is the same, or at least close enough over the short length involved; and the diameter is close enough that they go in far enough before the straight flare-nut thread bottoms out on the tapered pipe thread, or vice-versa depending on what combination of mismatched parts you're screwing together, especially with all the rust and soot and whatnot, to where they seal more or less well enough that you don't too much notice the difference. Even more so if you spoooooge em up real good with sealer.

They're 5/16" inverted flare.
I guess i wasnt clear, i was at lowes with a brand new steel 1/4npt female adapter with no bottom for the pipe to bottom out on and seem tight. i threaded it in by hand not a wrench, no rust, no goop. 4 of the holes that didnt get the pipes broken off into i chased the threads with the same tap and it had very little resistance vs chasing the holes that i had to drill out. Also the 1/4" plugs used arnt even close to long enough to bottom out and then tighten up because of force vs a good seal. On top of that i had my neighbor who is a machinest that measures and inspects thread pitch, diameters angles, etc all day long for over 30 years. He was the one who found that 1/4 npt would work, also he said that the end you call a flare (and i agree it looks like a flare but im not a machinest) is not tapered like npt but the female side is tapered which seems to be true in this case. Regardless other ppl in this thread have said 1/4npt and I have perfect results with it also. Youre saying it only works with a lot of force or goop or whatever but that's not true regardless of whether youre right about the diameter and thread pitch.

1/4"-18 npt doesnt just kinda sorta work as you stated, it works perfectly with no leaks, no extra sealing provisions needed. Im trying to help other ppl know where to get the tools and materials they need to do this job, youre telling them it doesnt work well when it does work just fine.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

They're 5/16" inverted flare. PERIOD. That's the reality.

¼" pipe is close enough that it will screw in... it's not "right", but it's usually "close enough".

I didn't "tell them it doesn't work well"; what I DID say was, the right size is 5/16" inverted flare (that being what the tubing is), but that ¼" pipe is "close enough" to work in most cases. Please don't put words in my keyboard that I never typed.

There's a difference between RIGHT, REALITY, etc. on the one hand, and "close enough to work" on the other. I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself, I prefer to get things RIGHT when practical.

In this case, RIGHT is 5/16" inverted flare, but ¼" pipe is "close enough to work most of the time". If that worked for you, then, great.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Why do people bump a six year old thread just to post some dumb stuff?

Yes, you can cram any old garbage in the hole. If you want a fitting that exactly and properly replaces the AIR fitting and seals on the flare instead of the threads, it's an inverted flare fitting.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=Tuned Performance;6175055]

"will usually somewhat sorta kinda almost work for the most part without leaking too bad (that is, not too much worse than most engines with this kind of "maintenance" already leak elsewhere)".
[url
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-46696-785-452.aspx

That isnt telling ppl it works its telling them it doesn't work well like i said you said