Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

egr system

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egr system

I have an 83 with a 305. Daily driver. Is it possible to simply remove and plug the egr rails going into the manifolds and leave the rest off the system intact and still have the engine run correctly. I know this is a simple question but I haven't fooled with any of this stuff in 30 yes lol.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: egr system

egr rails going into the manifolds

EGR is the thing right next to the pass side of the carb, looks like a UFO sitting on the intake.

Yes you can remove it, plug the lines, and make a cover plate out of strip stock or something.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:52 AM

Thanks for your reply.
I'm speaking of the 4 metal tubes coming off of the manifold that in turn ties into the vacume system and the return tube going to the cat. If removed and the 4 holes plugged with 1/4 inch plugs will the motor still run correctly. Should have called it the vacuum system not the egr system sorry. There all tied together so...
Old 08-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Oh that...

That's the AIR (air injection reactor) system. It forces fresh air into the exhaust to provide oxygen so that the cat can do its job.... after all, it's tough to convert carbon monoxide or other products of incomplete combustion into carbon dioxide, without oxygen. Can't just miracle up oxygen out of nothing... gotta have some thin air for that.

Kinda depends on your definition of "run correctly". In general, yes the engine itself will still do so. However in whatever state you're in, depending on its emissions regulations, maybe not.

The correct plug is not ¼" pipe, although that will usually somewhat sorta kinda almost work for the most part without leaking too bad (that is, not too much worse than most engines with this kind of "maintenance" already leak elsewhere). Correct size is 5/16" inverted flare.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:08 AM

I appreciate your response. Was rough guessing the size of plugs I would need when I wrote 1/4 " but I thank you for letting me know the correct size and technical name of said plugs. As I said in my original post I haven't fooled with this stuff in 30 yrs. Everything I work on is typically 1930-1974.picked up the 83 camaro with 76k on it for a grand from a lady who's husband passed and her grandson cut the tubes because he was convinced they were associated with a severe loss of speed and carb loading up,if he had only checked the left front caliper before he started cutting.... Other than that the cars pristine right down to all the original msrp and bill of sale,owners manual etc. IT WILL BE REPAIRED CORRECTLY. Just need to drive it for a few miles. Again my apologies for not being as astute and learned as your self in this matter, if only we had been discussing the causes of quasiperiodic oscillations in neutron stars I'm sure I could have made you feel just as humbled.thanks again
Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44

Originally Posted by camaroken83
Again my apologies for not being as astute and learned as your self in this matter, if only we had been discussing the causes of quasiperiodic oscillations in neutron stars I'm sure I could have made you feel just as humbled.thanks again
Don't take Sofa's comments personally. Most of the time this type of question comes from a 17yo who thinks ripping this off, or replacing fuel injection on their 305 with a 1000cfm carb will give them a 9 second drag car.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 AM

I take no offence to his reply. Simply put I appriceate the help. I learned long ago some people have a reason for the nature of there response to interactions with others ( valid or not ) and some just enjoy or can't stop themselves from talking down to others. Subtile pointing out that the only stupid question is an unasked question and that all of us are ignorant of something unless we know everything in which case we are a simple fool. Thank you again and god bless his ill patienced little heart for tolerating those of us with a lesser knowledge than his and sharing his wisdom and experience.