Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Wanting to change muffler from Aerochamber to Dynomax Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA Drag Radial Car
Engine: F-2 Procharged 18* 434 sbc on Alky
Transmission: Powerglide,Neal Chance Converter
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" Ford 3.50's,35 spline axle
Wanting to change muffler from Aerochamber to Dynomax Questions

Hi, our 1986 Trans Am currently has a Hooker Aerochamber 3" Catback on it, #16823(I believe) with dual 2 1/2" tailpipes (driver/passenger exit), single cat (hollowed out), and we are getting a Resonance throughout the car that we can't stand for. We would like to just change the muffler for something that has as close to zero interior resonance as possible. So far, the Dynomax 17227 muffler looks like it would work as far as fitting in the place of the Aerochamber, the only thing we would have to do is weld a 3" 3 bolt flange on the Dynomax muffler inlet, since the Hooker uses it to bolt the inlet pipe to the muffler. I think we should be able to reuse the tailpipes from the Hooker system?

Does anyone know if the Dynomax 17227 muffler would be better than the Aerochamber as far as interior resonance? Was originally thinking Super Turbo , but Dynomax does not make a Super Turbo for 3" inlet. We need something that has next to zero resonance, but not stock of coarse. What about MagnaFlow, how would it compare? What muffler would you recommend for us that will fit our application? Thanks

Last edited by Procharged GTA; 02-17-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:32 PM

Re: Wanting to change muffler from Aerochamber to Dynomax Questions

Ok, Ive done alot of research here this evening for mufflers that have the lowest interior resonance, and finally decided on the MagnaFlow 12267, so I got one ordered already. We will just have to add the 3 bolt flange to it so it will bolt back to the Hooker 3" inlet pipe, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Hopefully, it is quieter than the Aerochamber, especially interior noise. From what I've read, it should be I believe. Anyone care to share your MagnaFlow experience is more than welcome.....

Last edited by Procharged GTA; 02-18-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

We are a Magnaflow dealer and even have a system on our 1989 L98 GTA and will say this: at idle it is a little louder than stock (better sounding), and on the gas it has a really nice tone - definitely louder than stock. But it is not too loud like some systems where you can't hear the radio.

Also keep in mind that they make so many different size and style mufflers - from race bullets to quiet OEM replacements.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:19 AM

Thanks Paul! What is your opinion about the interior resonance of the Magnaflow? The muffler we went with is the 12267, it is the crossflow for our camaro/firebirds. We are hoping it's better than the Aerochamber, most people says the Aerochamber doesn't have much interior resonance, but ours seem too have it, although it's not mind knumbing or anything, it makes the car feel rougher driving, instead of smooth, you can feel it resonating through the car body when your driving it, and nothing is hitting the body anywhere either, we have went over it with a fine tooth comb trying to find something....

Thanks
Old 02-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

IM catback shopping right now and cant decide. I have the same exhaust' in mind that you mentioned nd cant make up my mind. I might put 3000 miles on the car a year but I would like a stainless setup that bolts to the dual cat ypipe somewhat easy.

I had an areochamber on my last car and it was loud. Granted, I had LTs, no cats and a 400hp 383. I cant decide on he Magnaflow or the Aerochamber again.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:46 PM

We installed the Magnaflow muffler last Thursday, and for my taste, it sounds much better than the Aerochamber that was on it. It is quieter on the outside of the car, and is even more quiet on the inside of the car, has 0 interior resonance. The Magnaflow is much deeper and smoother sounding than the Aerochamber, we are glad we made the change. Our car has Dyno Don headers and Y-Pipe and is a single cat car, the cat is hollowed out, and has the complete Hooker 16823 system, minus the Aerochamber muffler, it now has the Magnaflow 12267 in its place. Sounds fantastic I think.