Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

L98 Exhaust with T56

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' Camaro
Engine: 2.8L V6 MFI
Transmission: T5 Manual
L98 Exhaust with T56

I've been doing some research in preparation for my engine & transmission swap. My vehicle is an 88' Camaro with the MPFI 2.8 V6 with the T5, and I'm planning on swapping to an L98 and a T56. I've seen bits and pieces of info that make me worry about fitting the T56 in with the exhaust system... I don't know if the worry is well founded, they stem from things people have mentioned in various threads.

Primarily I'm asking people who have done this swap what they have done with their exhaust; Were their problems with fitting everything in (I know space is kind of tight down there)? Were their any modifications you needed to do? Is the stock system best or are there better/easier aftermarket options?

Most importantly my swap needs to be 50 states emissions legal, so as close to stock as possible is my goal. I'm not opposed to some aftermarket suggestions as long as they are pretty straightforward and emissions-legal. Or if bone-stock is the best choice (regarding fitment) then I'm cool with that too.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 11-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: L98 Exhaust with T56

If you're going to use stock Fbody manifolds and ypipe then you wont have a problem. You MAY need to make a bracket though to mount to the side of the T56 that will help hold the exhaust up just after the cats. Im not sure of the OEM mount from your car will bolt to the T56.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' Camaro
Engine: 2.8L V6 MFI
Transmission: T5 Manual
Re: L98 Exhaust with T56

Okay, that is good news. A little fabrication of a support isn't intimidating, so that should be no problem. Thanks!