Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

83 Camaro header fiment

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Base
Engine: 4.8 LS POWA and CHINA boi turbo
Transmission: TH350 w/ Shift kit 3200 stall
83 Camaro header fiment

Help! 350 eng installed, headers installed, motor mounts bolted up but trans is not in car yet and before header install if i let the eng hoist down the eng would sink into the bay and now that i have the headers on when i let the tension off the hoist the eng wont move? I saw the dr header getting caught up on the A arm mount so i had to chop that a little but still seems like everything is just a little to tight. Anyone else had this problem?? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: 83 Camaro header fiment

I am not 100% sure what you are saying or asking. But best guess is your headers are hitting something because your transmission is not installed and that is causing the motor to tip backwards.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 AM

Car: 1983 Camaro Base
Engine: 4.8 LS POWA and CHINA boi turbo
Transmission: TH350 w/ Shift kit 3200 stall

Thanks for the reply. Sorry that post came after a long day of messing around in the garage. I think the better question should have been is if anyone else is having problems with Headman long tube header fitment in their third gen camaro. I have modified quite a few things in the car to this point getting the headers installed.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

It's almost always IMPOSSIBLE to drop an engine in with headers installed.

Lay the headers in the chassis; lower the engine; as it gets close to the mounts, begin trying to bolt the headers up. With poor-fitting headers it may take a few lowerings & raisings of the motor before you get everything hacked up enough for it all to fit. And even then something will probably rub or vibrate or rattle or get burned up once you get it running.

Long-term solution to the short-term problem is, get headers THAT FIT, instead of trying to graunch in something that doesn't.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 PM

I've had those hedman longtubes in two cars and on each one i had to trim off part of the control arm perch on the driver side. Aside from that they fit well.