Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Cat Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Upgrade

Hey all, one of the projects I will be working on a little better sound to the Camaro and some slight performance gains. Upon crawling under it I believe that there has been a new muffler put on but not sure if it is a new cat or the original. I have attached pictures for reference.

Question: If I replace the cat, should I stick to the direct fit, or go with a universal fit? Any suggestions? I know if I do the WHOLE exhaust system I will get the best performance and sound, however I am not looking to spend that much money quite yet.

The cat with what looks like new pipe heading to the muffler

muffler
Old 04-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Re: Cat Upgrade

That looks to be an OE style cat. Mine was missing when I got the car so I just extended the pipe and didn't bother putting a cat back in. Nebraska doesn't test so I don't have anything to worry about, but if I have to add one I'm going to go with an aftermarket performance version.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cat Upgrade

with it being an antique here in Maine I can basically do whatever I want. Some of what I read said straight pipe made it loud but didn't sound great, also read some about the smell without a cat?