Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

TES Header Install questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
TES Header Install questions

I have a 92 TA 5.0 TPI with 330,000 original miles, daily driver. My cat finally went out and when i got the car many years ago i found a great deal on a brand new Jet Hot coated Edelbrock TES header system and have always wanted to install it. Well the other day my original cat finally gave out. So since i have to change my cat i figured its time to install my TES system with the 3" y-pipe.
So i plan on ordering the Catco or Walker 3" direct fit cat to match up to the y-pipe.
My question is which is a good manifold gasket to go with since i know the ones that come with the edelbrock system are trash
Also what is a good shorty plug to use? I plan on doing a tune up at the same time, and was going to order new Taylor wires, im guessing with the 90 degree boots
I also planned on ordering the Stage 8 locking bolts, just wasn't sure which ones, i was guessing on using the ones for the 86-94 vette since they had TPI heads.

Since im messing with the exhaust i planned on getting a cat back as well, maybe the summit 3" since i dont want to spend over $500 for the Magnaflow
Old 04-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: TES Header Install questions

Save your money on the locking bolts. If you look at the manifolds and headers you'll notice several braces to the accessories that mount to studs, and the manifolds/headers will have spacers to accommodate those studs. The point is you'll be reusing several of the existing studs, leaving you with mismatched hardware. It'll only look worse with fancy bolts on half, and old rusty bolts on the others. Generic bolts from the hardware store with the same graded strength as stock will work fine.

Not sure how the Edelbrocks would respond, but with the SLP headers I ran in the past, I just made sure both the headers and heads were smooth, flat, and clean, and installed the headers without gaskets - just like the OE manifolds.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

For the exhaust gasket, get a Percey's aluminum crushable one. Mr. Gasket also makes a set. I had the percy's on my Hooker 2055 Headers for 8 years and they never leaked unless the headerbolts backed off.

I have the Magnaflow, it's really as perfect a bolt on version as you can get.

For spark plugs, I use the Accell shorty plugs. I forget the number off the top of my head but a short search on here should pull them up for you. Don't really need anything fancy.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

have any part numbers for the manifold gaskets? i cant find any Percy's or Mr Gasket specific to a 92 TPI car