Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Problem - Magnaflow Y-Pipe with BMR sub-frame connectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 02:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC Camaro (RHD)
Engine: 350 ci L98 SBC
Transmission: T700
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt BW, Disk, Posi-traction
Problem - Magnaflow Y-Pipe with BMR sub-frame connectors

Hi,

my project is a 1988 IROC with an L98 3e0 and T700 auto.

I bought and installed a set of BMR outer sub-frame connectors, which have been installed but not welded in yet.

Also bought and installing a complete cat-back 3" stainless steel exhaust.

The problem is the Magnaflow Y-pipe can't be bolted up because of interference with the BMR sub-frame connectors on the Right-hand side of the car.

Possibly the BMR sub-frame connectors wouldn't be a problem with the smaller stock exhaust, but there is definitely a problem with the 3" Magnaflow Y-pipe.

Has anyone else had the same problem, or got suggestions?

The only solution I can think of is to cut about 30cm from the front flat steel sub-frame connector.

If I take this approach what would be the best way to cut solid steel that is about 1cm * 3cm?
Attached Thumbnails Problem - Magnaflow Y-Pipe with BMR sub-frame connectors-exhaust_img_2493.jpg   Problem - Magnaflow Y-Pipe with BMR sub-frame connectors-exhaust_img_2496.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Camaro LT
Engine: 383 Twin Turbo - In progress
Axle/Gears: 3.43
Re: Problem - Magnaflow Y-Pipe with BMR sub-frame connectors

Originally Posted by peterc005
Hi,

my project is a 1988 IROC with an L98 3e0 and T700 auto.

I bought and installed a set of BMR outer sub-frame connectors, which have been installed but not welded in yet.

Also bought and installing a complete cat-back 3" stainless steel exhaust.

The problem is the Magnaflow Y-pipe can't be bolted up because of interference with the BMR sub-frame connectors on the Right-hand side of the car.

Possibly the BMR sub-frame connectors wouldn't be a problem with the smaller stock exhaust, but there is definitely a problem with the 3" Magnaflow Y-pipe.

Has anyone else had the same problem, or got suggestions?

The only solution I can think of is to cut about 30cm from the front flat steel sub-frame connector.

If I take this approach what would be the best way to cut solid steel that is about 1cm * 3cm?
Ether cut the exhaust pipe and reroute it to avoid the Connector or mark the Connector for the clearance you need, cut and weld a patch in to clear the exhaust. Ether way you'll have to cut and weld something to make it work if everything is installed correctly.

If you can still remove the Connector easily, being it's not welded in yet, mark it in the car for clearance and then remove it and use a cut off wheel with a grinder and weld in a patch panel where you cut. Then install and check for clearance.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it'll be easier to shorten the BMR sub-frame connector than reroute the exhaust.

The design of the BMR sub-frame connector at the front of the right side is a bit flimsy anyway, so I'll try to find a way to both shorten the strengthen the setup.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Loosened the LCA bolt which now allows some movement in the BMR sub-frame connector.

Seems to give me 2 or 3cm vertical play, which may be enough for clearance for the Magnaflow Y-pipe.

I'll use a trolley jack under the right sub-frame connector to push it up under the sill panel and floor as far as possible to see if that give me enough clearance.