Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

strong smell of exhaust fumes under bonnet and inside car

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strong smell of exhaust fumes under bonnet and inside car

Citroen c3 1.4 hdi 2008.

After driving a while can smell exhaust fumes especially with fan on; much stronger under bonnet.

Fault code produces P0480.
Also P1350

Can't afford taking to dealer, so have to find sollution myself.

Some say blank off EGR valve.
Some say not to.
What do you advise please?
del.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Hot 355ci
Transmission: Beefed TH350
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Re: strong smell of exhaust fumes under bonnet and inside car

Originally Posted by del1000
Citroen c3 1.4 hdi 2008.

After driving a while can smell exhaust fumes especially with fan on; much stronger under bonnet.

Fault code produces P0480.
Also P1350

Can't afford taking to dealer, so have to find sollution myself.

Some say blank off EGR valve.
Some say not to.
What do you advise please?
del.
if you can smell exhaust fumes in the engine bay, it means you have a leak. Could be a gasket, could be a cracked manifold, your going to have to open the hood and look until you find something if your not taking it to somebody else.

This is is also a 82-92 f body forum, you could get better help in a forum designated for your ride.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: strong smell of exhaust fumes under bonnet and inside car

Thanks for your help Jacobaxeman,

I have checked under the bonnet but can't and noticed that oil had been leaking from the turbo charger air inlet hose due to the jubilee clip loose.
So I removed the hose a cleaned inside of the hose and junction leading from the cylinder head. Put it all back and made sure the jubilee clip was tight.
After that everything seemed to be fine for about a week, but then the exhaust fume returned.

So I did some more reading and found that when I turned on the Air Recycle button and the blower to 1 or more, it blocked the entry of air from the outside.
I then took the car for a long run bat varying speeds. Guess what? Not only was there no fumes inside the car, when after 30 miles I stopped and checked under the bonnet,
had a good smell all round and there was only the normal smell you would find in any diesel engine, and no noticeable leaks. When I pressed the Circulation button off, after a while the fumes came back until I pressed it back on.

Obviously that isn't the permanent solution, because that is not normal, but it does give me some time to do some more research, like what you have suggested for example.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
del1000