Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Front or Rear bumper support

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front or Rear bumper support

I have always wanted to remove the fiberglass and plastic supports behind my front bumper cover and fab up some lightweight metal framing instead. Like a wire frame that just supports the nose to keep the shape. I know it takes away from the structure if I get into an accident, but I really don't care about that. The reason I don't just remove the supports and leave nothing there is because I saw a show on TV one time that showed what happens to cars at the top end of the track that don't have any supports behind the front bumpers. The nose caves in and really takes away from the airflow. I have also thought about doing this on the rear bumper as well. I have actually seen that on a website done to a 3rd gen and it looked really trick. If anyone has seen or has done this to there car, please post some pics or let me know how they have done it.
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:07 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think if i were doing it instead of a wire frame i'd use supports like used to mount dzus fasteners on for mounting a lift off front end, only without the dzus fastener.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could lay down a few layers of fiberglass resin and matting to the back of the nose. The only downside to that is that you would have absolutely no flexability anymore.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 S10
Re: Front or Rear bumper support

Originally posted by MCas7
I have always wanted to remove the fiberglass and plastic supports behind my front bumper cover and fab up some lightweight metal framing instead. Like a wire frame that just supports the nose to keep the shape. I know it takes away from the structure if I get into an accident, but I really don't care about that. The reason I don't just remove the supports and leave nothing there is because I saw a show on TV one time that showed what happens to cars at the top end of the track that don't have any supports behind the front bumpers. The nose caves in and really takes away from the airflow. I have also thought about doing this on the rear bumper as well. I have actually seen that on a website done to a 3rd gen and it looked really trick. If anyone has seen or has done this to there car, please post some pics or let me know how they have done it.
Thanks.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/Buildup1.htm

go here, they're doing an insane buildup on a 4th gen that should run 8's, anyways on page 4 it shows they made a one of a kind nose brace, that so far they are not selling, it saved them 20lbs, it is cool, and a good idea, but really is it worth the effort and cost to save 20 lbs? most of us have street cars and 20 lbs doesn't make much of a difference, if i personally was that worried about taking 20 lbs off my car id stop eating mcdonalds...
Old 02-23-2004, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been following that buid-up for a while. That and another site are where I got the idea in the first place. I think it would be great if BMR started producing those braces for our cars. That way, the people that wanted them, such as drag racers, could buy them. I'm sure there would be a pretty high demand for them.