Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Can I have t-tops?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I have t-tops?

I have a 86 Iroc, the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesnt have t-tops. I was thinking if I cut the roof of a junkyard camaro with t-tops, and had someone weld and sand that top on mine then I would have t-tops. Has anyone ever heard of doing this. Obviously I would have mine cut before welding the new roof. Thanks
Old 02-28-2005, 05:18 PM

Car: '86 IROC, '87 Volvo 240, '09 Malibu
Engine: LB9 5.0L
Transmission: 700R4
... I've never heard of a 1986 IROC-Z without T-tops... maybe your car is one that somebody rebadged as an IROC?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:48 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Anything is possible with enough time and money. I considered cutting off my T-top roof a few years ago and weld on a hardtop but didn't bother.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:21 AM

Car: 84 TransAM
Engine: Chevy 355
Transmission: TH350
i'm sure if you search around the boards you will notice that this question has been asked before, it can be done but i don't think anyone has actually ever bothered with it, no one seems to think it's worth it in the long run...
Old 03-03-2005, 07:30 AM

Car: 86 t/a
Engine: 383 turbo world heads ect.
Transmission: t400
sure it can be done. if you look under the paint you will see the factory roof seams. i've don't it to a fox mustang, bought the whole roof assy. with glass t's for $100 just make sure the roof you are getting is cut extra long.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TCI Streetfighter TH350
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
Originally posted by Crayz9000
... I've never heard of a 1986 IROC-Z without T-tops... maybe your car is one that somebody rebadged as an IROC?
my girlfriend has an 86 iroc without t-tops, i didnt know they were that rare. heres is red with a 305 tpi and auto if that matters any
Old 03-07-2005, 09:40 AM

Car: 1988 Pontiac firebird
Engine: '93 LT1
Transmission: Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt
i was searching web sites for KITT parts and ran accross a guy that does it. he had step by step instructions too. it was for a firebird, but there the same anyway. so it can definitely be done.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Do you have info on how I can get a copy of those instructions
Old 03-07-2005, 09:45 AM

Car: '86 IROC, '87 Volvo 240, '09 Malibu
Engine: LB9 5.0L
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by PhantomFE3
my girlfriend has an 86 iroc without t-tops, i didnt know they were that rare. heres is red with a 305 tpi and auto if that matters any
Guess you're right. I've just never seen one before.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: Stock carbed 305
Transmission: Stock 200C
That would be Mark's Custom Kits
Old 03-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
ASC used to make an aftermarket T-Top kit.

I used to work in a sterio/aftermarket shop and we did many T's in 87-89 while I was there for the local GM dealers.

The kit requires cutting the roof (obvious) and pop riveting in a T' framework.

If your serious about it, look for a T car where there is a moulding between the T glass and roof. All factory tops are rolled here, all aftermarkets have moulding. Then drill all the pop rivets, pull the framework. You will also need to make spreader bars to open the door area (bolts to the latch and push against the upper hinge to release the framwork. Make sure to measure between the fender and quarter.. so you can set the car back correctly.

Or... find a factory car and cut the A,B,C pillars and swap the entire roof. I did a 86 GT before using this method.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:54 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac firebird
Engine: '93 LT1
Transmission: Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt
Originally posted by SC82TA
That would be Mark's Custom Kits
yeah, i ran accross that one too, but this one was aimed towards a "do it yourself" website for slightly experienced people in auto body. i found it while searching for KITT stuff, but it wasn't a sight for KITT conversions. that website is basically the same method, only this one is detailed. i'll try to find it again, but can't gurantee anything.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Car: 85 IROC
Engine: tree-oh-five
Transmission: 700, but the T-56 is laying on the floor
C+C did some T-top conversions on new 3rd gens for dealers back in the late 80's. I saw one of their conversions on a 88 IROC that belonged to a friend and fellow TGO member. Easy to spot the differences if you look. Smaller openings and they start about twice as far back and factory T's. I don't recall their being a moulding there either. If the glass is still there the original C+C tops have the Cars+Concepts logo in a corner.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the insite. I would like to cut the roof and transplant one with a t-top roof. I wonder how hard it would be to get all the measurements perfect? That to me would be the most difficult task.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
Originally posted by Steve Guttu
Thanks for the insite. I would like to cut the roof and transplant one with a t-top roof. I wonder how hard it would be to get all the measurements perfect? That to me would be the most difficult task.
Measure 3times cut once.

Your right that would be the hardest part but not that bad.
I went from T-Tops to Traga- Vert.
http://www.cecoatings.com/DropTopZ.html

Now to get motivated again and paint it. and put the rims back on.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:45 PM

Converting the tops is something i do on a regular basis. Its nowhere near as difficult as everyone seems to think it is. As for measuring, what are you measuring??? You can clearly see where the car was originally put together. Cut the t-top roof out of the junked car leaving about 3 - 5 inches overlap. Trim it down to where the factory seems are leaving about 1/16 inch overlap. Cut the top off your car perfectly on the seems. This should NOT be done with a saw of any kind. A saw is going to warp the crap out of the car making it impossible to make a decent weld. Use a simple hi speed angle die grinder. On the 1/16 overlap you left on the new roof, bend toward the inside of the car, slide into place on the back side first. Tack weld to hold until you line up the front then tack it. Lay your hatch and windshield into place to make sure it looks right, then weld both inside and outside seems solid. Here is where most people go wrong, Dont use "bondo" to fill the outside seems of the roof... its going to crack i promise. Check out your local auto body supply house for oem replacement lead filler. It will flex preveting the cracking. I have one scheduled to be done (88 rs convert to t-top) in a couple weeks. If you want, ill post step by step pics to give you an idea. It really is a very simple process. email me if you need some help Admin@remotedsr.com or remotedvr@yahoo.com
Old 03-21-2005, 02:50 PM

PS: Love that targa, that is gonna be sweet when your finished.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Originally posted by lewp
Converting the tops is something i do on a regular basis.

Check out your local auto body supply house for oem replacement lead filler. It will flex preveting the cracking. I have one scheduled to be done (88 rs convert to t-top) in a couple weeks. If you want, ill post step by step pics to give you an idea. It really is a very simple process. email me if you need some help Admin@remotedsr.com or remotedvr@yahoo.com
I’d love to see some step by step pics…

By led do you mean like old school lead? any suggestions on preventing the typical hard top cracking (right in front of the leaded seam across the roof).

Funny, I’m in the opposite boat. I’m trying to find a body to build up as a “race car” (not entirely, but it will require a 10pt cage…) and being 6’4” I don’t see how I’m going to make it work with t-tops. Unfortunately all the good deals on bodies that I like seem to be t-top cars.

My wife keeps thinking that I should just cut the top off of my formula when I part it out and swap it onto whatever I get, and although I’m trying to avoid the extra work that option is starting to look better and better. It really doesn’t look hard to do at all, and may be I should build the cage with the roof off to allow for a tighter fitting hoop/halo…

I was thinking of using lead to fill/cover the seam and then some filler to get it perfect (i've never seen an f-body that wasn't at least somewhat wierd in that area).

Where exactly are the seams in the A-pillars?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:29 AM

Car: 86 t/a
Engine: 383 turbo world heads ect.
Transmission: t400
this is what i was trying to say in the above response also. it isn't any different than replacing any other body panel at the seams. you should cut the donor car's roof a little long. if you sand down your roof/pillars you will see the factory led filler you can use a propane torch to melt this body solder. to make it easier to get to the seam. most just use body filler to fill the factory seams when done but i have done some soldering. it's not really that hard. heat & spread with a paddle, then file down.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:33 PM

Im not sure if its an old school lead or not, but it hasnt changed in the last 10 years or so that ive used it. The brand i use is PPG. Some lead seem sealers must be heated and spread like guy above says, thats the best way to do it. You can get some Epoxy style lead filler that works well also, but it doesnt take a lot of stress, in a drag car it would probably lose shape a bit similar to the factory seems do but worse. If your looking for a top, and your anywere close to north carolina let me know. I have a yard full of 82-92 camaro/firebirds. Soon as i start on the top conversion ill post a few pics for ya, its easy stuff. I am however about to start a targa, since i saw the one posted here i kinda got an itch to build one and glass the interior of the car. Couldnt hurt to have a mascot sittin around the body shop . Im building a 78 malibu 2 door also, with iroc ground effects, rear bumper, spoiler and taillights. Putting a monte carlo ss nose on it. It cads out to look pretty awesome, one of those "looks like somethin gm forgot to build" kinda projects.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:15 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: Stealth Rammed 412 with TC78 Turbo
Transmission: '93 T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt posi with PBR discs
I would also be interested in seeing some step by step pics of this procedure The one thing that I don't like about my car is its lack of t-tops. I don't know what it is about t's, but I absolutely love them! If you don't mind me asking, how much do you get to do a hardtop to t-top conversion on a thirdgen? I've toyed with the idea of taking my car to Mark's Custom Kits at some point down the road to get a t-top conversion and paintjob done, but North Carolina is closer than Florida I'm certainly anxious to hear more about this, you sound quite knowledgeable!

-Paul
Old 04-17-2005, 12:54 PM

Car: 1 68 bird, 2 87 birds, a 92 bird...
Engine: carb'ed 305 in the 87, yuck...
Transmission: 700R4, for now....
I should be putting a t-top roof on my formula soon too. If I remember my camera I'll take pics