Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

AutoCAD templete

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 camaro LT
Engine: 350, L98 Heads, HSR
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 33 spline 3.55 posi
AutoCAD templete

First off I didnt know which section to post this in, but this section seemed most fitting. Im looking for a 3rd gen camaro AutoCad templete, or base drawing that i can work with, because quite frankley it would be a pain to do from scratch at a skill level such as mine. Ive searched google and surprised nothing has shown up, i was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction or possibly email one to me?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: 3.4L V6
Transmission: auto
Re: AutoCAD templete

Does it have to be exactly to scale? I made one awhile back for a project in my engineering class of a firebird, I kinda just eyeballed everything and scaled it out as close as possible. Also I used autodesk inventor, I dont know if it uses the same files or not since my program pretty much reads any file.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 PM

no as long as the thing is scaled as best as possible, that i fine, i would have to do the same thing if i did it lol, autocad should be able to open it. ill send a pm to you with my email address, thanks man
Old 10-23-2009, 10:57 AM

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.70

Google Sketchup has a few models of 3rd Gen Camaros in the 3d Warehouse. Don't know if you could convert it or referance it in
Old 10-26-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: open rear, 3.42 gears

what exactly are you trying to do?
if you are planning on making a pair of subframe connectors for something like that, i dont think the dimensions would be exact enough.
pretty much anything other than just to get a general idea wont work... remember, these models were made by average guys not professionals.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:32 PM

i am planning to use this drawing or template to help design some exterior modifications, since i have an LT/standard body on my 3rd gen i wanted to make a wind dam/spoiler or splitter for the bottom of the front bumper and maybe some other ideas i have, these models should be fine for this, i just havent gotten around to downloading them. but they don't need to be precise. heck knowing me ill just go right to cardboard and mock some stuff up lol
Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 with Edelbrock ProFlow EFI
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 Eaton posi

If all you plan on doing is little stuff like an air dam, using the model will be pointless. The only time you would ever need a model for this kind of project is if you start doing wind tunnel testing in the software. Chances are that if you aren't capable of creating your own model of a third gen, you are not capable of understanding the results a virtual test like this would provide you.

I'm not trying to sound like an ***, so I'm sorry if it seems that way. I have 4 years of experience with AutoCad and Inventor and about a year of experience with Solidworks. Even I'm not quite ready to effectively use some of the features these programs offer. Your best bet is to just use a cardboard template and go from there.

The reason no one makes a detailed model available is because of what it costs. After all, time is money and the detail that would be needed to do an effective virtual wind tunnel test is very high. People can put 30+ hours into into the model and it still won't be accurate enough to get proper wind tunnel test results. So, do you really expect something like this to be available to any random person that requests the info?

Best of luck,
Mike
Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: open rear, 3.42 gears

who says he is doing wind resistance.
i come from the same place as you
7 yrs autocad
5 yrs inventor
5 yrs solidworks

i cant begin to say how awesome it would be to have a semi accurate model of a thirdgen.
if i wanted to make my own air-dam, i could model it and get accurate dimensions from the computer
i could see how it would look to modify pieces before i did it
ect...
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 with Edelbrock ProFlow EFI
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 Eaton posi

Originally Posted by RED_DRAGON_85
who says he is doing wind resistance.
i come from the same place as you
7 yrs autocad
5 yrs inventor
5 yrs solidworks

i cant begin to say how awesome it would be to have a semi accurate model of a thirdgen.
if i wanted to make my own air-dam, i could model it and get accurate dimensions from the computer
i could see how it would look to modify pieces before i did it
ect...
I assumed he wanted to do some modeling to figure out airflow or something so he can create an effective part instead of something that just looks cool. If you just want to make something that looks cool, it will probably be easier to just make it out of cardboard. and tape it to the car. Just go to a grocery store or someplace similar and ask them if the have any giant cereal boxes that they haven't crushed yet. That will get you a ton of large cardboard pieces for free. Then just bust out the duct tape/painters tape and a scissors/knife and go to town. Yeah it won't give a good representation of smaller radius's, but it will give you a really good idea of how it will look.

That would be great to have a model. However, I just don't see the point in spending all that time to get a virtual image of what it would look like when you can make a rough version of the same thing in real life in about the same time. Maybe it's just me...