Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Make your own Pushbutton B&M T handle

Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Make your own Pushbutton B&M T handle

I have had a megashifter in my firebird for 4 years roughly and I love it. I recently just installed a line lock for the track but wanted the switch to activate it during my burnout to be very convenient. The only real place to put this is on the shifter handle as my hand doesn't come off the shifter as I'm switching through gears during the burnout.

Problem is that my original T handle is fine but it lacks the button to activate it. Buying one from summit will set you back roughly 37-47$ plus the 10$ handling fee, 50-60$ for a handle is not what I had in mind. Not to mention after you get it you have a standard T handle that you can't use and no ones really wants to buy it.

So i took it on myself and made my own! I bought a momentary pushbutton switch from radio shack, single button costs $2.17 and a dual pack costs $3, so i went with the dual pack for a spare if I ever need it. Part number is # 275-609, they are rated at 3A at 125AC, 1.5A at 250VAC, at 12V they should be about 1-1.5A rating. Both are enough to handle the line lock solenoid without the use of a relay, solenoids only take milli amps to activate, same as relays.

Basically I took my handle and drilled a 7/8" hole deep enough so i didn't get to close to the threads of the handle. I then drilled another hole about 3/16" vertically so it intersected at the end of the 7/8" hole. This will be the exit hole for the wires. I ran 18 gauge speaker wire that I soldered to the switch and heat shrunk through the hole and pushed the switch into the hole. I had to sand the threads on the plastic switch for it to fit snugly in the hole so it wouldn't come out. I used the clear wire bc thats what B&M looks like it used, and also bc its clear it would be harder to notice.

I then installed it and used a black weave wire cover to make it look a little more professional. The switch is activated by a hidden power switch in the console which is fused which will allow me to kill power to the handle switch when Im street driving so i don't have any accidents lol. When the console switch is activated this makes the Handle button LIVE, then when the pushbutton is pressed it Illuminates an LED in the dash to alert me its been activated and the solenoid is activated.

The switch sticks out farther than the real B&M pushbutton handle but I like it bc my hands are larger and this seems more comfortable than the button being inside the handle so much.

Cost: $3.93 (saved $47-57) and have an extra switch.
Labor: about 1 hour to make the handle and run the wire through it.
Attached Thumbnails Make your own Pushbutton B&M T handle-img_0095altered.jpg   Make your own Pushbutton B&M T handle-img_0096altered.jpg   Make your own Pushbutton B&M T handle-img_0091altered.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Re: Make your own Pushbutton B&M T handle

Finished installed Pic
Attached Thumbnails Make your own Pushbutton B&M T handle-img_0109altered.jpg