Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Has anyone used HTS-2000?

Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone used HTS-2000?

Just curious if this stuff is for real. I stumbled across this when wondering if I could weld aluminum to mild steel. This product works on everything EXCEPT steel. If you watch the video it appears that this is quite a handy thing to have (if it works like advertised). They are repairing threads and forming parts out of these rods, even repair an aluminum can! I have a wire feed for sheet metal with no way to weld aluminum.
If you have seen/used this product your input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
weld aluminum to mild steel eh? Good luck I had to try it just to see what exactly happens. Tried steel rod on an aluminum tube. Looks cool, doesn't do a damn thing.

Got a link to this stuff? Is it like a metal reinforced epoxy or something? or like brazing?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Sorry I thought I posted it!
Here's the site : http://www.aluminumrepair.com/
Here's a direct link to the video : http://www.aluminumrepair.com/login/windows_media.htm
Old 01-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

oh, it's just a brazing rod. Nothing new there.

I guess it's a good one though. There's one for AL type materials, and one for ferrous.
After watching that video, it looks like a pretty good one, usually brazing needs a very tight fitup, that one will flow and fill gaps and whatnot.

Melts 500* lower than AL. They say you can use it on cylinder heads, but if it melts at that low of a temp...?

What's the price on the filler material?
EDIT - schnike! $65/lb!!! For 34 rods of 1/32" width... wow, you'd burn through those fast...

Last edited by Sonix; 01-17-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Heah, I thought they were a lil pricey as well. How about when the vid started and tried to beat the two al pieces apart! Even though they are expensive, they might be handy to have in the garage/trailer for emergency situations.
As far as your question about the temp, could it be a one-time-heat material because of the flux, once mixed, works similar to epoxy?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Supreme Member

no, it'd still melt after it's set, at the same temp. It's a metal alloy, so it can't really have a "thermoset" type of capability. So I wouldn't use it on exhaust (AL? no use there anyway) , and i'd be leery about cylinder heads.
Intercooler would work great.

And yea, 1lb around the garage just in case would be a good idea. I'll have to bookmark that product.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
good video. Ive used the stuff before. I dono if its the same Co. or not but similar rod for alum. and ya it works just like the video.

If you can braze you should be fine.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Has anyone used HTS-2000?

Originally Posted by firstfirebird
Just curious if this stuff is for real. I stumbled across this when wondering if I could weld aluminum to mild steel. This product works on everything EXCEPT steel. If you watch the video it appears that this is quite a handy thing to have (if it works like advertised). They are repairing threads and forming parts out of these rods, even repair an aluminum can! I have a wire feed for sheet metal with no way to weld aluminum.
If you have seen/used this product your input would be greatly appreciated.
I've tried to use HTS2000, it but it won't work. Bought recommended Burnsamatic tip and MAP gas but nothing. I'm trying to butt back together a solid cast aluminum patio table leg. The rod will not melt into the cast aluminum. Rubbing the end of the rod around does not melt it and the only way I can do that is by holding it in the tip of the flame. It then melts and sits in a small ball on the broken butt end of the leg. This stuff stinks.

Search this Thread