Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

A STRANGE fuel pump question for the folks here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A STRANGE fuel pump question for the folks here.

OK, everyone point and laugh. Got it out of your system? Good.

Here is my quandary...

I have an 89 Firebird with the 305, converted from Fuel Injection to a carb. Love it, by the way. It still retains the electric fuel pump (hate it). I can find tons and tons of info on switching from a mechanical pump to an electric but nada, zilch, nothing on the reverse.

Yep, that's right. I want to toss my electric fuel pump for a mechanical. Anyone done this? Am I breaking new ground in silliness?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: A STRANGE fuel pump question for the folks here.

I would take the electric pump any day over a mechanical one, it makes cold starting a lot easier on the car and on you.
but if you must, the factory pump can be removed from the sending unit and replaced with a short piece or rubber hose. Only issue there is the hose will eventually dissolve in the fuel. It may be possible to cut the sending unit apart and replace the entire tube where the fuel pump goes with a new piece and use flared connections and steel tubing.

the better option is to replace the entire sending unit with one from a factory carbureted vehicle.

this all said, I would still keep the electric pump for simple drivability reasons. there is no good reason to replace the electric intank pump with the mechanical unit
Old 03-05-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A STRANGE fuel pump question for the folks here.

Another thing to note, the fuel lines are on the wrong side for a mechanical fuel pump.