Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

C4 Shifter/Indicator in 1991?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
C4 Shifter/Indicator in 1991?

So, my project '91 is almost running! Time to start on things that are completely irrelevant to improving the drivability!

Is there any way to get the transparent C4 corvette shift indicator to work in a 3rd gen? My orange indicator is out of sync with the actual shifter, and I just like the C4 style better. Or even switch out the whole part in the center console, as my shift "boot" is broken, like most autos.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98(5.7 L TPI)
Transmission: 700r4(A4)
Axle/Gears: G80 RPO, 3:23s, Auburn Racer's Diff
Re: C4 Shifter/Indicator in 1991?

I don't know anything about installing a C4 shifter or Camaros, buttttt...

On my 1991 firebird, my indicator is adjustable. I removed the shift handle. Then I removed the shift plate. On the underside of the shift plate is a white housing holding the indicator in place. I removed the bolts (10 mm if I remember correctly). Then, I adjusted the position of the indicator.

I also sanded off the orange paint for the indicator, scuffed up the area with sandpaper (for light diffusion), laid some white vinyl (that I cut with a razor blade) in place of the orange paint (for light diffusion), and topped it off with yellow vinyl (since it matches my interior better). In the process, I cracked some plastic. Luckily, I had a spare available.

In my opinion, it looks better than stock.