Just got into 3D printing - Page 2 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Just got into 3D printing

Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 PM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 350, .5 lift cam, Holly 650
Transmission: Monster Transmission 700R4-2K stall
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 10 bolt, 3.42
Re: Just got into 3D printing

Not sure of the extent of the machines abilities. But I've always really wanted a bank of switches that go in the spots pictured. Can the printer make working switches? Or has anyone seen someone make a switch bank for these spots to be used with misc accessories (TCC lockup, electric fans, laser cannon, etc...)? I hate the idea of modding in some aftermarket switches if I don't have to. I love the factory look!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:26 AM

Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

The best the printer could do it print up the ***** themselves or the new plate insert.
You could easily add small switches and maintain a similar to factory look, I don't know what kind of switches you want so I can't go any further in depth into options.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 12SHO 04Cummins

Many product switches are just commodity switches with covers on them to look like whatever it is that you want. I've printed that kind of thing before for a power supply cover for my printer that I wanted to have a big red slider switch on and I just used a standard switch with a big red cover.

If you wanted to print the actual switch, you'd basically end up printing the plastic housing and have to cut out and form the contacts/metal parts and then fit them inside. I've had some luck with designing parts with captive metal parts (***** printed around a nut so that they have metal threads in them), but because of the way the process works, the contraction of parts as they cool... it's not an easy thing to do.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Not what potterc32 is asking, but I just read an article yesterday on some of HPs latest 3D printers...commercial stuff. They actually have the ability now to print circuits using conductive materials, and embed those circuits right into a part. Pretty wild stuff.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:46 AM

Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by DynoDave43 View Post
Not what potterc32 is asking, but I just read an article yesterday on some of HPs latest 3D printers...commercial stuff. They actually have the ability now to print circuits using conductive materials, and embed those circuits right into a part. Pretty wild stuff.
You can do that with retail stuff.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:31 AM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 350, .5 lift cam, Holly 650
Transmission: Monster Transmission 700R4-2K stall
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 10 bolt, 3.42

83 Crossfire TA, So if i just went and got a few push button switches of the appropriate size, I could have some switch "faces" printed and then attach them to the buttons. Is that what you mean? I wouldn't mind that at all.

Vanilla Ice, Do I need to come up with a sample switch cover to send to you to copy? I would want 6 or 9 of them. If you help me out, there are a couple other items I would like (radio faceplate, and maybe even a parking brake handle). Can you print in different colors, or will I need to paint them? Sorry, I'm kind of new to all this 3D printing.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
You can do that with retail stuff.
No kidding. That's fascinating stuff.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 12SHO 04Cummins

Originally Posted by potterc32 View Post
83 Crossfire TA, So if i just went and got a few push button switches of the appropriate size, I could have some switch "faces" printed and then attach them to the buttons. Is that what you mean? I wouldn't mind that at all.
I'm sure that you're looking for something a little fancier than this, but this is the setup that I mentioned earlier:

A small pocket that a commodity SPST switch is designed to snap into.

what it looks like from the front

cover printed for the switch

Now I have a big red switch for my printer lighting

The whole thing installed on the printer power supply

You can print any color that you can find filament in, but if you don't want it to look 3D printed you'll need to sand it, prime it and paint it, essentially give it the surface finish you want.

FWIW, I do have some interior parts that I've made for my car as an experiment and as suspected, PLA isn't a great plastic to print them from. They seem to be holding up OK but the first 90* day this year was warm enough to warp them a little bit causing a plexiglass bezel to pop off. Unless someone wants to try to convince me otherwise I'll likely try PETG before trying the more traditional ABS solution.

In this case, it was a bezel for an Arduino powered programmable/progressive shift light that I have been experimenting with. It doesn't look any different now that it was exposed to heat, but it's not flat if you put a straight edge up against it:

Test fitting the original design to see how it fits up in the dash contours

Another angle

Sanded, painted and a smoked plexi lens added to it

Partially lit up at night (I set the shift rpm to something liow to gt it to show more lights at a lower rpm than normal, the leds go to orange then red, matching the atari dash and then they all flash when you it the shift point)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo View Post
I made this myself but I never found anybody to print it for me. It's the Dash emblem that everyone wants $20-40 a piece for. Can you print it for me with a PayPal donation?

Send the file to me. I can make it from any material you like. Aluminum seems to be popular.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: waiting to break

^^^^
I'll send you a message.

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: