Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

89' Iroc Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
89' Iroc Project

Well, I'm not quite sure where exactly to put this but I wanted to document bringing my old Iroc into the 21st century. So far work is underway in the shop, with good progress already being made. The new rear end and brakes are already in with the fronts up next. Every suspension component is being replaced with upgraded versions, with shocks from Koni and springs from Eibach. Also getting done is some light rust repair around the T-tops and all the door and T-top seals, and other light touch up. Last up is switching to hydroboost for the brakes.

That'll complete this round of work, with the next step being swapping the old 350 and 700R4 with a 6.2L LT4 and 8L90. That has to wait until I sell one of my other cars, though. Still, getting even this much done will do a lot to update the way it drives, and I'm pretty excited.

Getting dropped off to the shop

New rear end successfully installed

Rear brakes, 14" Wilwood's with 4 pistons for the rears and 6 pistons for the front.

Front sway bar and strut tower brace

Front shocks

Front caliper, they're hefty sons of guns

Anyone shopping for a factory rear end? Worked great when it came out of the car.

Wheels going on the car, 18x8's. Trying to avoid having to do a lot of clearancing to make them fit, that's why I didn't go wider. I know some would have.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Currie 9"/US Gear Lightning 3.00
Re: 89' Iroc Project

Should be a TON of improvement in this alone.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: 89' Iroc Project

I like your progress, but this is the forum for people fabricating stuff, not really a build. People usually put those in the Camaro/Firebird section under "Auto detailing" or in the LS/LT section when doing an engine swap