Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Adding A Fuel Cell

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LU5 CFI
Transmission: TH-200C
Adding A Fuel Cell

So here is the basic... 1982 Trans Am, Car Wouldn't start, I traced it back to the fuel pump, I'm not exactly sure why the pump isn't doing its job but it isn't. I have noise coming from the pump but still no pressure. My guess is It dried up and is now shot.

My question begins with once the tank is out I'm thinking about replacing with a 22 Gal Fuel Cell. "part # BRP1595" The only problem is that it does not come with the top portion for the fill or line connections.. that I know of... found a guy on craigslist.. hopefully I'm not going to run into the craigslist killer, HAH! Am I able to fab one up of my own? Also, am I able to fab something up that will work with NHRA Regs and using a stock style filler neck..... doubt it but shot in the dark.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56
Re: Adding A Fuel Cell

there is a company called behind bars race cars.. that makes fuel cells/tanks. bolt in../replace stock tank..all aluminum..they make some good stuff..check them out.. I picked up one of there tanks..and am happy with it...fit.. and got it set up with the fittings I wanted added to the tank...sweet baffling inside the tank and the come with a sending unit that will work with your factory gauge.

http://www.behindbarsracecars.com/Ca.../bbrcc9802.htm

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 10-12-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 IROC,
Engine: 5.7 Crate Motor
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Adding A Fuel Cell

its a direct bolt in...

https://fuelsafe.com/sa114/

but the real problem is what do you need? does you car require a proper cell? Do you want to cut the rear deck open and fab some mounts and then deal with opening the hatch to add fuel? or like you said with trying to deal with the nut-jobs on CL to keep the OEM fill location...for fuel tanks, the R7U cars 89-92 had a baffled tank with a pump and it is supposed to be great, although there is debate regarding the actual differences between it and every other F-body tank in those years.

The bottom line is know what you need and go from there. I am not an F-body guru, but have been racing a long long time and playing with GM's all the while. In the early days like your 82 TA, sometimes GM used a lift pump in the tank and a mechanical pump on the motor - see if you have this set up. If you have your heart set on a red box hanging under your car then understand that "doing it right" isn't a low cost proposition, and when dealing with fuel systems, there really is no other way to do it. You will have to have the filler neck located on the side of whatever tank you put under the car - No cheap "cells" come like that, so you either fork out the $3800 to fuel safe for the only bolt in cell or you are performing surgery.

Your best course of action is most likely to retain the OEM style of fuel system for your car and update it to include a proper pump and replace crappy dried out parts like you had mentioned. Best of luck and Merry Christmas.

RR