History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

ASC Convert Tops (plastic Window)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formy droptop/88 Deville
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: factory RWD, WS6 susp
ASC Convert Tops (plastic Window)

As documented some time here, I still own a 1989 Formula Drop Top, bought in 1997/98. I've racked up about 135,000 on it now, rusted pretty bad, a number of winters back, about 4 it seems, the plastic window broke while cleaning snow and ice from it. That hole got progressively worse till it's nearly broken out!

I bought one online, forget the company off hand, but they were insistant I make measurements. I think I did with the top off the car, just comparing it laid out on the floor. Well. I've had no means to do any repairs as layoffs led to a company closing and me being a Dislocated Worker struggling still. I bought a bumper for my car and the top with no means to repair it.

The past few months I took the stored top and opted to lay it out over the old one, it really seems an inch shorter then it needs to be. Extra length would seem to benefit visibly I'd think. Considering the old one shrunk and became unglued on the frame. There was also a threaded tie down to the center cross-frame which kept the top from billowing in the wind, which it does now. The new top doesn't appear to have this.

Wondereing why an F-car or ASC made top mech would have these differing sizes, and if there's a possible trade to be worked for the right top? Seems the best option. This top cost me $300 out of pocket. I'm in Minnesota.