History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

New guy, need advice.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
New guy, need advice.

So, I've come across the opportunity for 2 different Trans Ams.
Aside from knowing the basics like engine packages, transmissions etc (been a GM guy all my life) all I know about these F-bodies is from when I learned to drive manual at 14 in an 87 Iroc.
I was an auto body apprentice about 10 years ago and I'm very mechanical, having sort of done a bit of everything from 40's *****'s jeeps to jacking up new pickups, building race MX motors and the like... I'm a gear head in general.

So, I have a chance to trade my sled for:
This one, which I prefer due to the year, and the way it has been kept... However, I haven't found much about this "limited edition" package... Is this just a dealer trim thing? And what rear end comes in this car?
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Pontiac/T...howcpo=ShowCPO

Or this one. I Think the paint may be in better shape, but it doesn't sound like it has been as looked after... And the motor is a TBI with less power.
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?Ad...eWu9m%2FFuT2E*

Plan is to have a nice sunny day, summertime driver that I won't be ashamed to go to car meets and stuff with, and then eventually swap in a carb 383 supercharged with what I hope to be, 600HP. Cage it, custom race inspired interior (basically gutted and done up with aluminum and carbon), enough suspension to make it handle, a T-56 yadda yadda yadda.
I'm currently in the midst of changing in to a trade (I'm in the military) where I will be doing custom metal work (airframe fabrication) and it will also include composite part forming (so I will be able to do my own carbon parts etc.)

Looking for input. Keep in mind that up here, roads get COVERED in salt in the winter, so being winter garage stored is a very very big thing with these cars.

Where am I looking for rust mostly? I know rear fender arches, and in front of the doors at the rockers... Front strut mount area as well?

I'll be crawling all over these cars before I buy.

Thanks for any help... Hopefully I'll be a real thirdgen member!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts
Re: New guy, need advice.

I'd strongly recommend a TPI car over TBI and carb. They tend to be a lot more reliable. But I guess the engine/fuel system doesn't really matter that much if you're going to be throwing in a carbed 383 anyway.

The "limited edition" package on the '84 looks to be nothing more than a sticker. The only "iimited edition" '84's that I know of are the Recaro T/A (which would have come with Recaro seats obviously), and the White/Blue 15th Anniversary T/A.

Common rust areas include floorboards, t-top bar (make sure you REMOVE t-tops to inspect this area), front strut towers, and all the usual lower body panels.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Thanks. I was assuming that since it wasn't the Recaro car that all it was is just some stickers... So I won't feel so bad ripping in to it eventually.

Car will sit about 6 months of the year due to the winter where I live. Only time I can be guaranteed no salt on the roads is May to End of October.

As far as codes in the glove box, I'm assuming what I want to see is WS6 for the rear disc brakes and the G80 for the "locking" rear end.
I can't remember, is there a visual clue on the rear diff housing? I seem to remember something about a square bottom is the G80? Or a bulge where the ring gear is? I can't totally remember.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23

The 87 looks to be a much better car, the 84 looks all bustered up. Yeah the floors are known to go real bad on F bodies as well as the 1/4's, door's and front fenders.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Overdrive Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1 Positraction

Plan is to have a nice sunny day, summertime driver that I won't be ashamed to go to car meets and stuff with, and then eventually swap in a carb 383 supercharged with what I hope to be, 600HP. Cage it, custom race inspired interior (basically gutted and done up with aluminum and carbon), enough suspension to make it handle, a T-56 yadda yadda yadda.

with this in mind ^ I would personally go with the '84 because it's older a little bit lighter and would really look good with 600hp and roll cage, take that old paint down and repaint it in red/blk or all black. if it's already carbureted no having to mess with tbi.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM

So I called up the guy with the 87. Says the previous owner had the floor patched, drivers side. And aside from a couple stone chips and some fading on the spoiler, there isn't much wrong with the paint. Says there is a bubble in the paint at the top of the drivers door near the mirror. Sounds like an abnormal spot for rust no?

Engine isn't a TBI, it's a carb motor. There is an idiot light on, has something to do with them having the choke wired open? Not sure what possible issues this is, or how to fix.
It's a rear drum brake car, so I'm going to assume it isn't the WS6 package (it doesn't have the snowflake rims) and thus, probably doesn't have the G80 rear end... An open rear end in this car would be BORING.

Aside from that, it looks like a nice car... It catches my eye more so than the 84.

Also have an offer on this:
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ483081938
450HP sounds nice, but not crazy about having a 4 speed. He sent me a picture and it looks clean... But then I'm getting someone's modified car and I have no idea what kind of work they do.

Last edited by WTR388; 06-13-2013 at 04:17 PM.