History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

T-Tops Size

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L V8
T-Tops Size

I have a question concerning the size of the T-Tops.
When I purchased my car, the dealer told me that my 88 Trans Am GTA had rare T-Tops that were optional back then. Not the fact that it has T-Tops, but their size and that they can also be raised at the back. They found that out when they were trying to get new rubber seals and the first ones they ordered didn't fit.
Since I didnt find anything about differently sized tops, I was wondering if they really existed.
Reason I'm asking is, I would like to get bags for the tops and therefore would like to know which ones I need.
Thanks for your help!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: T-Tops Size

Sounds like you've got a "converted" hardtop. If the Gm weather stripping didn't fit than you've probably got a set of C&C ( Cars and Concepts ) T-Tops on your 88. Do a search for that Company here on TGO and you should find a lot of info about that kind of T-Top conversion.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Yup, those one's that pop up at the back are C&C. And I think they are pretty darned cool.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:11 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Heres both kinds of tops
C&C and GM/Fisher

First one is the C&C
The bottom one is the GM/Fisher

Last edited by sonjaab; 04-27-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L V8

Thanks for your fast answers.
So it looks like my GTA has the C&C tops, and DynoDave, you're right, they are cool. I do like them a lot...now that they're not letting more water through than a strainer anymore. There's just a little gap left at the front side corner. Have to look further into that, but usually I'm not driving when it's raining anyway.
Only Downside is, because the car was not build with t-tops, it doesn't have the little bars in the trunk to hold the straps of the bags. So even if i could find a set of bags that fits, I wouldn't be able to fasten them.
Any ideas on that?
I appreciate your help.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a set of these on our 88. The tie downs for them were bolts in the corners of the floor of the deep well portion of the trunk with straps to hold the tops in place. It isn't very convenient to try and drive the car with the tops out and take the tops with you.
If you can find factory bags and the hold down brackets for the hatch area, they might work. The bags are just simple vinyl bags similar to the ones used in 2nd gen cars. Correct weatherstrip and parts are available at www.sunroofdoctor.com They bought out the remaining inventory when C&C went out of business. If you only have 1 set of tops, I would keep an eye out for a second set being sold. These weren't that common when the cars were new and are even harder to find than factory tops.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

C&Cs came with two individual bags, one for each top.As mentioned they dont use straps, so they could/would slide around while driving.I still have both bags, have never used them really.Only guard is a flap that velcro closes!

I use the GM bag since it straps down.I made brackets to mount the buckles to fasten them.I also have the flip up version & these are slightly thicker than non flip.So squeezing them in the bag is a stretch, cant quite close the zipper completely, but its better than the original pieces.

You can adjust the bars that go into the body for a tighter fit/gap.There is a small square bracket at the end, just behind the plastic.Loosen the two phillips & adjust accordingly.