History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Need advice on price of 1986 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: Need advice on price of 1986 Camaro

Originally Posted by Camaro86IrocZ
Tell her to get the chip updated. In '86, the early ones were buggy.. My '86 runs like a '89.. Last code for the MAF cars.. It deletes the 9th injector. Unplug it and/or block it off.. Lower Fan turn on/off temps 210/195, delate Vats.I left the rest stock.. By the way... I love my exclusive one year only bubble third brake light much better than the interior one in my '91 -- I have 140000 on the '86 5 digit odometer shows 40k.. Still looks and drives like new... 16k anyone?

What was "buggy" about them. BTW, no VATS on an '86.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

Originally Posted by Camaro86IrocZ
Tell her to get the chip updated. In '86, the early ones were buggy.. My '86 runs like a '89.. Last code for the MAF cars.. It deletes the 9th injector. Unplug it and/or block it off.. Lower Fan turn on/off temps 210/195, delate Vats.
Along with the poor grammar in your post, most of what you said is false. I suggest you spend more time reading on the DIY PROM board before posting mis-information over here.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '86 Iroc Z & '91 RS
Engine: 305 TPI & 305 Qjet - Future LC9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by chazman
What was "buggy" about them. BTW, no VATS on an '86.
Originally posted by Vader - https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...thing-net.html
Old 08-17-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John in RI
Absolutely nothing in that statement makes me think this car is worth any less. Original 80's Thirdgen with bad valve seals, old gas, and oil seepage at the intake, pinon and cover - all are EXACTLY what you would expect from this car. Not worth 12G's,... but still easily in the 5-8 range
Actually I agree with you. but I found out some new information today. There has been at least one other owner than the current one because I found the original warranty papers. Today, I finished changing the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires and oil change. After I let it run for a while, there is now a very loud lifter tick, the misfire is still there (not a dead hole yet), and the spark plug I took out got drenched in fuel over night so probably time for injectors. The more I work on this thing the more it looks like a serious chore and money pit to own. To each their own but to me not anywhere close to 8k at this point.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by BowerPower
The more I work on this thing the more it looks like a serious chore and money pit to own.
Who'd have thought...
Old 08-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

FYI the oil leak near the back of the intake manifold is probably the oil pressure sending unit. They leak all the time. I have changed several over the years. You can free the stuck lifter with a quart of ATF fluid added to the oil.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Actually I agree with you. but I found out some new information today. There has been at least one other owner than the current one because I found the original warranty papers. Today, I finished changing the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires and oil change. After I let it run for a while, there is now a very loud lifter tick, the misfire is still there (not a dead hole yet), and the spark plug I took out got drenched in fuel over night so probably time for injectors. The more I work on this thing the more it looks like a serious chore and money pit to own. To each their own but to me not anywhere close to 8k at this point.
your right on the price .. for 8k you can get a 40k mile iroc thats is nice and for 10k you can get a mint iroc with say 30k miles on it that needs nothing ..
Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by ray jr
your right on the price .. for 8k you can get a 40k mile iroc thats is nice and for 10k you can get a mint iroc with say 30k miles on it that needs nothing ..
What I meant is more towards the 5k range but now a extremely noisy lifter and a misfire problem that a tune up didn't fix. I wouldn't pay anywhere near 5k for the car. Unless you were being sarcastic about the 8k price.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

What I meant is more towards the 5k range but now a extremely noisy lifter and a misfire problem that a tune up didn't fix. I wouldn't pay anywhere near 5k for the car. Unless you were being sarcastic about the 8k price.
i probably wouldnt pay 3k for the car in your post .. im talking for 8k i can find a real nice 40k iroc that is already real nice ..
Old 08-17-2018, 10:00 PM

i probably wouldnt pay 3k for the car in your post .. im talking for 8k i can find a real nice 40k iroc that is already real nice ..
That is how I feel. Personally I like my cars to be a little bit of a project. I like to work on the cars and a lower price is actually affordable for me. Everyone here is saying 5k-8k yet i find so much wrong but because it has low miles and half decent paint. Yet this car is starting to look like it needs some internal engine work, probably gas talk remove with cleaning/replace, and a few odds and ends. At this point my top dollar is 2k. There are some tricks i could do to temporarily fix some things but I cant do those to a customer's car, such as ATF in the oil. I wanted to put Seafoam in the oil for the lifter but my boss was worried it may break more things loose. You can never be to careful with a customer's car.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

That is how I feel. Personally I like my cars to be a little bit of a project. I like to work on the cars and a lower price is actually affordable for me. Everyone here is saying 5k-8k yet i find so much wrong but because it has low miles and half decent paint. Yet this car is starting to look like it needs some internal engine work, probably gas talk remove with cleaning/replace, and a few odds and ends. At this point my top dollar is 2k. There are some tricks i could do to temporarily fix some things but I cant do those to a customer's car, such as ATF in the oil. I wanted to put Seafoam in the oil for the lifter but my boss was worried it may break more things loose. You can never be to careful with a customer's car.
heres what you get for 8k nowadays .. heres a 86 iroc with 40k miles

Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

and heres what you can get for around 10k .. this is a all original 85 iroc with 33,000 miles

Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 PM

I would pay 8k for that... as long as it is mechanically sound with few leaks and had been driven often enough to keep it good. That exterior is not my color but that is not the point.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:19 PM

Thanks for helping explain that. That is exactly how I thought pricing would be with these cars. I was so dumbfounded with the 5k-8k prices people were saying. Maybe seeing the car in person might help you guys out. I thought listing all the problems would do that for you guys.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for helping explain that. That is exactly how I thought pricing would be with these cars. I was so dumbfounded with the 5k-8k prices people were saying. Maybe seeing the car in person might help you guys out. I thought listing all the problems would do that for you guys.
it goes on all the time here .. there was a guy recently selling a all original 33k mile 83 trans am and was asking on here what he should ask .. a few told him 10-12k .. i laughed and told him no way .. well he put it on ebay and craigslist for 10k and got no interest . then he dropped it to 7500 with no interest .. i got it for 5500 lol

Old 08-17-2018, 10:39 PM

it goes on all the time here .. there was a guy recently selling a all original 33k mile 83 trans am and was asking on here what he should ask .. a few told him 10-12k .. i laughed and told him no way .. well he put it on ebay and craigslist for 10k and got no interest . then he dropped it to 7500 with no interest .. i got it for 5500 lol
You guys are the ones buying and selling these cars. Aren't you guys the ones that should know the value of these cars? On another note, that is a shame. 5500 seems low but but closer to my price range. lol
Old 08-17-2018, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

You guys are the ones buying and selling these cars. Aren't you guys the ones that should know the value of these cars? On another note, that is a shame. 5500 seems low but but closer to my price range. lol
i know what there worth and i know what i can get them for also .. been buying and selling them for the last 20 years .. its not easy selling third gens for high dollar cause theres so many good deals out there all the time
Old 08-18-2018, 12:46 AM
Supreme Member

That's a screaming deal! If I already didn't have a yellow one, I'd grab that!

Last edited by chazman; 08-18-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 AM
Supreme Member

Jesus. All the cars pictured in this thread are boring as hell. Plain Jane Appliance White, Poverty Red, Urine Yellow, and all early cars.... Yuck.

You guys need to raise your standards.

Last edited by Drew; 08-18-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28

I like the blue car Drew, saw it advertised on craigslist kind of in between us.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew
Jesus. All the cars pictured in this thread are boring as hell. Plain Jane Appliance White, Poverty Red, Urine Yellow, and all early cars.... Yuck.

I've always liked this color combo.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:40 AM

First off, the pictures of that car served no purpose to the title of this thread. Second, my standards are low because I prefer to buy cars that need work. A completely perfect car that is show room quality is BORING to me. My hobby is to work and tinker on cars. I have no interest in a perfect car for 12k. That blue cars has a great color combo but it is not contributing to the topic of this thread.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

could of been worse .. i could of posted but ugly burgundy or **** silver .. you learn something new on third gen everyday .. if you dont have a blue iroc between 88-90 you have a yucky car , lol
Old 08-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

A completely perfect car that is show room quality is BORING to me. My hobby is to work and tinker on cars. I have no interest in a perfect car for 12k. That blue cars has a great color combo but it is not contributing to the topic of this thread.
Hmm... You might have stumbled into the wrong sub-forum if that's the case.

The topic is VALUE. The cars posted as examples in this thread of cheap but low mileage cars, are cheap because A) They're unattractive, and B) They're undesirable early cars. My contribution to the thread is to point out that a more attractive car isn't going to sit for sale until the price drops to nothing, because people actually WANT those cars. Also to point out that within the scope of the 1982-1992 F-body, there is SO MUCH MORE out there than 86 305s.

Sorry I'm not telling you exactly what you want to hear.

if you dont have a blue iroc between 88-90 you have a yucky car , lol
Not exactly... One of those blue Irocs is an 87. Both are 350 TPI cars, and both look a hell of a lot more attractive than the basic opaque bland colors. Those cars presented as examples languish because they're boring cars. Their theoretical values ride on the coat tails of thirdgens like the 89 Iroc in the photo I posted.

All I'm saying is think bigger. If you're going to own a thirdgen, it can be so much more than an 86 Camaro in a color you'd find in the smallest box of crayons.
Even within the confines of early thirdgens there are so many significant and exciting cars, why give up a parking spot and time for an 86?
Old 08-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Supreme Member

The topic is VALUE. The cars posted as examples in this thread of cheap but low mileage cars, are cheap because A) They're unattractive, and B) They're undesirable early cars. My contribution to the thread is to point out that a more attractive car isn't going to sit for sale until the price drops to nothing, because people actually WANT those cars. Also to point out that within the scope of the 1982-1992 F-body, there is SO MUCH MORE out there than 86 305s.

Not exactly... One of those blue Irocs is an 87. Both are 350 TPI cars, and both look a hell of a lot more attractive than the basic opaque bland colors. Those cars presented as examples languish because they're boring cars. Their theoretical values ride on the coat tails of thirdgens like the 89 Iroc in the photo I posted.

All I'm saying is think bigger. If you're going to own a thirdgen, it can be so much more than an 86 Camaro in a color you'd find in the smallest box of crayons.
Even within the confines of early thirdgens there are so many significant and exciting cars, why give up a parking spot and time for an 86?
im just trying to give the op examples of what he could get instead of redoing the white one he posted for about the same cost .. if he asked for a 15k dollar iroc i would of showed him some different cars ..

as far as the colors , thats your opinion .. i think the red 85 looks better than the blue 87 you posted .. and alot of people love the yellow ones .. its all personal preference .. blue doesnt do it for me , looks boring .. there the same cars except the color is different as far as appearance ..big deal
Old 08-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

i think the red 85 looks better than the blue 87 you posted .. blue doesnt do it for me
Blasphemy.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Ummm...The topic of this thread is a price for a particular 86 Camaro. All we are doing is discussing prices of similar cars and how that relates the the 86 for sale near me. I agree white is boring but sometimes you take what you can get. Honestly I think a 86 white IROC-Z 305 TPI would look rather nice next to my 85 white Corvette 350 TPI. I have no particular interest in another 350 TPI or any interest in traveling around for a pristine third gen. If you dont mind, i'd like to talk about the value of this 86 and similar cars. I have no interest in the cars you like best.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Well, you guys are welcome to form your own opinions, even if they are wrong. Would it make you feel better if I say that car is an exceptional value but isn't worth even the book value? Because it seems like what you want to hear is that it's worthless, but it's a great car to own. But it's really not, it's a dismal value, with an artificially high potential resale value.

You're asking what the car would be priced at, when it's just entering the market, which are the high values people have posted. You've also been given the low values the cars actually sell for when they've been available for so long the owner wants to cut ties. Somewhere in the middle there's probably a good compromise. You wanted to know why you see unbelievable prices and a wide range of prices, which I was trying to expand upon, but you guys are getting lost in the half joking color preference comment, and completely missing the point.

Wait... Did you just imply you'd rather have a 305 over a 350? LOL
Old 08-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Well, you guys are welcome to form your own opinions, even if they are wrong. Would it make you feel better if I say that car is an exceptional value but isn't worth even the book value? Because it seems like what you want to hear is that it's worthless, but it's a great car to own. But it's really not, it's a dismal value, with an artificially high potential resale value.

You're asking what the car would be priced at, when it's just entering the market, which are the high values people have posted. You've also been given the low values the cars actually sell for when they've been available for so long the owner wants to cut ties. Somewhere in the middle there's probably a good compromise. You wanted to know why you see unbelievable prices and a wide range of prices, which I was trying to expand upon, but you guys are getting lost in the half joking color preference comment, and completely missing the point.

If you didn't spend so much time with wise remarks and sarcasm we would have such a misunderstanding. I am telling you all the problems with the car so that you can properly value the car. If a nice version of the same car goes for 8k-ish then with the problems this one has brings it down to some value we haven't exactly determined.

If I was seriously keen on owning a third gen car then a manual transmission is a must but that only comes with a 305, so... a 305 would be the only option for me. I already have a sports car with a 350 TPI and a manual transmission, so a 305 with a 700R4 will be perfect to drive in the minor traffic I have here. I wont have to burn through a clutch when it's stop and go and it gets better mileage than my SUV with a 350 . If i was in the situation of two cars one with a 350 and the other with a 305 then I would do all I can to get the 350 car but that is not what is going on here.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

the red 85 is a original owner car and just went on the market recently .. he has it priced at a realistic price .. the car is a cream puff .. its a 10k dollar car .. now when you get into the 15k dollar range , thats where the low mile 5.7's and later years come into play ..

also to your 305 - 350 question .. if the 85 305 was in nicer condition than the 87 350 car i would definitely take the 85 with the 305 .. there both nice driving cars and there both very slow .. i know one has 10 more horsepower but really when your talking 215-225 hp does it really matter .. most people just buy them to drive them and enjoy them ..