1989 IROC 344 original miles - Page 23 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

1989 IROC 344 original miles

Old 02-01-2019, 03:07 PM

Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: 1989 IROC 344 original miles

Originally Posted by chazman View Post
I still would enjoy seeing it do a burnout!
You could do like the Gas Monkey Garage guys.....burn those hard old Gatorbacks until they pop
Old 02-01-2019, 04:55 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS B4C
Engine: 5.7 TPI Crate Motor
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.42

Originally Posted by JT View Post
Has that been determined as fact?
No it has not been determined as a fact. I am giving my opinion based on the facts and experiences that I have with third gens. Which are a few pictures of the whole car and some pictures of areas that have been zoomed in on. I remember these cars when they were new and I have been in and around these cars enough when they were new to know that there where paint issues from the factory. Who knows where or when these repairs have been made or how easily noticeable they are in the daylight.

So why are you contributing to what you believe is an issue by replying yourself?!
I am contributing to this discussion because I think that the effort being put into investigating this car's past is not anyone's business except for the current owner. It doesn't look like the owner wants anything to do with this forum because he has not responded to the thread. Nor does the person that took the pictures because he hasn't responded to the thread either as far as I know.

The plan and simple fact is this is a discussion forum. Current (then) owner of the car created this topic to announce a car. Current (then) owner announces he is listing the car on BJ and asked for feedback. In other words, the original poster of this thread created attention and received it.

Some who aren't familiar with this History/Originality section may not know that this section has a long history of helping to correct seller's misrepresentations of a car listed for sale online as well as correcting misinformation. This car of Phil's is just one of many examples where this community's experts come together to help educate a buyer, seller, or the public.
This is simple. It's not a Phils car anymore, it doesn't matter what he says about it. It belongs to the new owner that paid alot of money for it and he deserves his privacy. So pulling a carfax? Really? What gives the message board the right to do that? Education? Please.

I

Last edited by scottmoyer; 02-01-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Originally Posted by steves View Post
I can understand scrutinizing the poor quality touch-ups. I have owned almost 70 cars since 89 and I have sold hundreds of cars.
Huh?

I have owned over 100 cars and sold most of them. Your math seems to be going the other way...

Old 02-01-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD View Post
Huh?

I have owned over 100 cars and sold most of them. Your math seems to be going the other way...
I was a car salesman for a while and I sold hundreds of cars. I am not trying to get into an argument here I miscommunicated my message if there was confusion.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2xIROC, GTA
Engine: 383, 305, 383
Transmission: TKO 600 / T5 / T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54, 3.08, 3.27

This is simple. It's not a Phils car anymore, it doesn't matter what he says about it. It belongs to the new owner that paid alot of money for it and he deserves his privacy. So pulling a carfax? Really? What gives the message board the right to do that? Education? Please.
It's public information Steve and we live in a free country. I'm not sure if you're in here to defend Phil (which makes you look as silly as he does) or if you're here to throw cold water on specific members you've disagreed with in the past. Either way, I'd move along, there is no battle to win here.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ View Post
It's public information Steve and we live in a free country. I'm not sure if you're in here to defend Phil (which makes you look as silly as he does) or if you're here to throw cold water on specific members you've disagreed with in the past. Either way, I'd move along, there is no battle to win here.
Jeremy, I am not looking out for Phils best interest in this case. Figure it out.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:34 PM
JT
Administrator|Webmaster

I am contributing to this discussion because I think that the effort being put into investigating this car's past is not anyone's business except for the current owner...
So pulling a carfax? Really? What gives the message board the right to do that? Education? Please.
To borrow from you, unless you're Phil or the new owner then not sure why you're so concerned about the discussion.

The car was made public and available for purchase by the seller and auction company. VIN was posted on BJ's auction. I'm not aware of what violation occurred for some to run a CarFax on a car that was made public. CarFax does not give out detailed personal information so not sure what privacy issue you're concerned with.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JT View Post
To borrow from you, unless you're Phil or the new owner then not sure why you're so concerned about the discussion.

The car was made public and available for purchase by the seller and auction company. VIN was posted on BJ's auction. I'm not aware of what violation occurred for some to run a CarFax on a car that was made public. CarFax does not give out detailed personal information so not sure what privacy issue you're concerned with.

Your comments are correct. It is public information and it doesn't concern me. So I will keep my opinion to myself.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Some used car sites have the CarFax or Autocheck built in and that info is available to everyone and stays up after the car sells sometimes..

You can also copy and paste the VIN into google and come up with stuff sometimes.

I don’t see how seeing the registration, inspection and accident history on a car is a big deal.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ View Post
Some used car sites have the CarFax or Autocheck built in and that info is available to everyone and stays up after the car sells sometimes..

You can also copy and paste the VIN into google and come up with stuff sometimes.

I don’t see how seeing the registration, inspection and accident history on a car is a big deal.

Exactly right. I don't always have access to carfax, but when I do, I carfax everything of interest. Why wouldn't you? I've found a few cars online which are obviously repainted and looked actually great. I'll ask the owner if the car's been repainted? They'll say " yes because I just wanted to get it perfect" . Okay, lets do a carfax. Totalled in an accident, bought by the insurance company, sold as salvage to a dealer the next day. Explains the paint. Nope, not interested.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

so when will we see this car reappear for sale and i wonder if its at a bodyshop getting things straightened out on it ..
Old 02-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by ray jr View Post
so when will we see this car reappear for sale and i wonder if its at a bodyshop getting things straightened out on it ..
No doubt in my mind, that it will eventually resurface.