History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

1989 IROC 344 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: 1989 IROC 344 original miles

Nice man, more name calling.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BizJetTech
So you are telling us that Reliable Carriers performs an inspection for evidence of the car being re-painted and/or touched up (including over-spray)
on their pre-loading inspection findings ??? .......I've shipped cars with several major transport companies, including Reliable and all they note is existing DAMAGE such as scratches, chips, dents, etc.
dirt.....REALLY ????
Yes. That is what I am telling you. Dropping snarky posts and sowing distraction- is not going to cut it here my friend.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CPC Norwood
For the record Most of the replies over the past 4 pages or so were directly instigated by the same fellows who roll tight with Grant over on face book.

OK Humor me. For the pictures that fired up this entire debate--(now stay with me here) exactly where does Grant say the photos in question are of LOT 442.1 and taken on Barrett-Jackson property?

Please no more OP "you hurt my paws"--"we don't like you anymore" replies Those unchecked personal attacks are bait and just serves to further diminish the standing of the board.

Screen shot as posted here on this board.

Where is the smoking gun that attaches the photos posted to LOT 442.1??

I know I am being persistent but if the photos that caused the hoopla here are of LOT 442.1 and taken on Barrett property-- then Grant needs to say so.

Cannot wait for him to do it BTW.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is today's winner of the "ding bat" award.

Dude - I had Reliable Carriers transport the car. The driver who picked the car up normally picks up at Jay Leno's and stated " this car is perfect and should be in Jay's collection" (That is a direct quote by the way) The car received a complete complete pre and post transport inspection and scored near perfect with two minor scuffs found on the one corner of the front fascia and I have a copy of the reports.

Any damage. ANY evidence of repaint or over-spray of any kind even dirt would have been noted upon inspection.

Is this board and its administrators going to now allow a public attack on the business reputation of Reliable Carriers now?

Please, Please stop making statements like this- further I would strongly recommend that the admin's start watching this thread for garbage like this. This topic is going way beyond stupid at this point.
Thanks for the award, i am proud that a low life like you would be willing to share it with me. I did not want to think that you were an outright liar and scam artist, and i would hate to believe that some complete stranger on facebook is staging some hoax, so a plausible option is that it was damaged in transit and repaired. To say RELIABE CARRIERS transports jay lenos cars so this cant happen is juat plain stupid. When i moved 4 years ago i had 6 of my cars brought down in inclosed carriers and while they were inspected both in and out by the drivers, i have no idea where they were in between. So since my guess could'nt have happened and your car does not have drip rails, the most plausible option is that you are a much less than honorable and honest human being and i hope the buyer gets some sort of refund.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0

Yes. That is what I am telling you. Dropping snarky posts and sowing distraction- is not going to cut it here my friend.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by odin65
Thanks for the award, i am proud that a low life like you would be willing to share it with me. I did not want to think that you were an outright liar and scam artist, and i would hate to believe that some complete stranger on facebook is staging some hoax, so a plausible option is that it was damaged in transit and repaired. To say RELIABE CARRIERS transports jay lenos cars so this cant happen is juat plain stupid. When i moved 4 years ago i had 6 of my cars brought down in inclosed carriers and while they were inspected both in and out by the drivers, i have no idea where they were in between. So since my guess could'nt have happened and your car does not have drip rails, the most plausible option is that you are a much less than honorable and honest human being and i hope the buyer gets some sort of refund.
Got it

Ok -- back to the issues surrounding Mr. Thomas please?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Banned

Got it.

Lets talk about Mr. Thomas please?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Banned

For the record Most of the replies over the past 4 pages or so were directly instigated by the same fellows who roll tight with Grant over on face book.

OK Humor me. For the pictures that fired up this entire debate--(now stay with me here) exactly where does Grant say the photos in question are of LOT 442.1 and taken on Barrett-Jackson property?

Please no more OP "you hurt my paws"--"we don't like you anymore" replies Those unchecked personal attacks are bait and just serves to further diminish the standing of the board.

Each and every time there is an attempt to distract I will re post this page again.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chazman

Specifically-- these pictures. Who will state publicly and unequivocally that these photos are of LOT 442.1 and taken on Barrett-Jackson Property?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts

Here is today's winner of the "ding bat" award.
Please, Please stop making statements like this- further I would strongly recommend that the admin's start watching this thread for garbage like this. This topic is going way beyond stupid at this point.
And another example where you're throwing insults and names to members and yet you're still calling for moderation to protect you - from your own doings. It is amazing to me that you've been unable to understand the damage to your name that you've created out of your responses to this community.

You can post all the pictures you want of the car prior to the auction. That might help some some people. For others, it will do nothing for your name due to all the insults and non-sense you've thrown to this community. Instead of calling for moderation, suggesting legal play, throwing insults, why not step back and review your own behavior and take some responsibility for your actions. From your responses, it's been all about you.

If you want to talk with the owner of the pictures from Facebook, why not contact him on Facebook where the pictures originated from and where the person can be found?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JT
And another example where you're throwing insults and names to members and yet you're still calling for moderation to protect you - from your own doings. It is amazing to me that you've been unable to understand the damage to your name that you've created out of your responses to this community.

You can post all the pictures you want of the car prior to the auction. That might help some some people. For others, it will do nothing for your name due to all the insults and non-sense you've thrown to this community. Instead of calling for moderation, suggesting legal play, throwing insults, why not step back and review your own behavior and take some responsibility for your actions. From your responses, it's been all about you.

If you want to talk with the owner of the pictures from Facebook, why not contact him on Facebook where the pictures originated from and where the person can be found?
JT,

Anyone who is watching this can tell a mile away that you have little interest in actually moderating the thread. as just the most recent example I just got called a
  • Liar
  • A scam artist
  • a less than honorable human being
by @odin65

Did you just happen to miss that?

Be fair and honest about what is going on here and let it all play out.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JT

"You can post all the pictures you want of the car prior to the auction" and For others, it will do nothing for your name due to all the insults and non-sense you've thrown to this community"

These two quotes are instructive. Another thing I do not have a Facebook account, and undeniably this rubbish was introduced here publicly right here on this board.

Somebody or a group of somebodies run, manage and are responsible for the content posted here all of it.

Lets not try to shift the responsibility. TGO owns this mess -- hook, line and sinker.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Seems to me the new owner of the car now "owns the mess" - so to speak.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Banned

TO THE TOP....
Old 01-21-2019, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chazman

Again: Who will affirm that these photos are reflective of the condition of LOT 442.1 and taken on Barrett Jackson Property?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

Again: Who will affirm that these photos are reflective of the condition of LOT 442.1 and taken on Barrett Jackson Property?
Someone could have had a look at it after the sale - I had a friend there willing to shoot a video with narration
documenting the issues....or lack of.....but the car was gone - which is most likely the reason the car was taken away.....
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM
JT
Community Administrator

JT,

Anyone who is watching this can tell a mile away that you have little interest in actually moderating the thread. as just the most recent example I just got called a
  • Liar
  • A scam artist
by @odin65

This thread has been finished long ago. There is no use in trying to get you to see that you've been your worst enemy in this thread from the start. People have spoken. You won't listen and continue on. It's you, not everyone else. You really think your behavior in this thread has helped you? I'd bet less and less people care at this point of the "world record" car because your behavior has overshadowed the interest.

"You can post all the pictures you want of the car prior to the auction" and For others, it will do nothing for your name due to all the insults and non-sense you've thrown to this community"

These two quotes are instructive. Another thing I do not have a Facebook account, and undeniably this rubbish was introduced here publicly right here on this board.

Somebody or a group of somebodies run, manage and are responsible for the content posted here all of it.

Lets not try to shift the responsibility. TGO owns this mess -- hook, line and sinker.
The pictures were posted publicly on Facebook and simply hot-linked here for discussion. Your attitude has been wrong and so is your understanding of how this works. Any legal concerns for our company is for our legal team, period. Enough of discussion on that topic and the threats.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Banned

JT,

It is what it is. I am not threatening anyone.

I thought you guys wanted to get to the bottom of all of this?

That change?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

JT,

• Liar
  • A scam artist
by @odin65

Yes i called you a liar after you called me a ding bat. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt by thinking that maybe it was damaged in transport and fixed without your kniwledge. I'm not sure how old you are or what type of work you are in, but you come across as an immature individual. I feel sorry for the buyer of this car that it now has this history attached to it. Why dont you act like an adult and clear up this matter instead of acting like a child. Dont forget there is a buyer who spent way to much money on an 89 camaro he thinks is a great "barn find".
Old 01-21-2019, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Dont forget there is a buyer who spent way to much money... *snip* he thinks is a great "barn find".
Barret-Jackson in a nutshell.

How can you guys get sucked into that garbage? It's worse than a "Curse of Oak Island" marathon, and it always turns into a hot topic on here.

Can we trade a couple 1LE and BJ circle-jerk threads for a Rustoleum paint job thread in the "body" forum? Please?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:53 AM
Banned

Yes i called you a liar after you called me a ding bat. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt by thinking that maybe it was damaged in transport and fixed without your kniwledge. I'm not sure how old you are or what type of work you are in, but you come across as an immature individual. I feel sorry for the buyer of this car that it now has this history attached to it. Why dont you act like an adult and clear up this matter instead of acting like a child. Dont forget there is a buyer who spent way to much money on an 89 camaro he thinks is a great "barn find".
Got it,

Ok... so here is the deal. The trouble makers are now angling to put the thread on a trajectory to be locked. SAD.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

So you are telling us that Reliable Carriers performs an inspection for evidence of the car being re-painted and/or touched up (including over-spray)
on their pre-loading inspection findings ??? .......I've shipped cars with several major transport companies, including Reliable and all they note is existing DAMAGE such as scratches, chips, dents, etc.
dirt.....REALLY ????
Yeah, as far as I know about transporters they just document any marks that they could get blamed for in transit. They don’t inspect paint and wouldn’t notice if a car had different paint texture on a quarter or overspray.

I am still somewhat on the side of maybe the photos are not the same car unless evidence from the new owner appears here that is conclusive. I also again will state a repaint doesn’t necessarily kill the value of that car but yes, if the purchaser thought it was original paint and found out it wasn’t, that would be a bummer, but it’s an auction and I’d bet if the car was touched up it must be mostly original paint or factory touch up..

For all we know someone at the factory accidentally put decals and stripes on it and a coworker was like, “Yo, that’s a stripe delete!” And then paint was damaged in the removal so they resprayed it without disassembling it because 99% of people wouldn’t know or care.

Ive tried to show even enthusiasts at car shows differences in paint texture between panels and they can’t see it no matter how I try to point it out. I think those people are probably happier too
Old 01-21-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Phil, sorry to say that this all falls on you and your behavior. Nobody said you were a crook or tried to misrepresent (that I remember seeing). Again, it was mentioned that someone on a Facebook page said there were issues with the paint. As soon as the pictures, from Facebook, were posted here, you started making claims that made no sense. You were asked multiple times to shut the FB guy down by showing us what you had and you kept making senseless responses. We didn't ask you to provide proof because we thought you were trying to scam us or mislead us. We were asking for proof so it'll be documented here that the FB pictures are fakes and we have the evidence to prove it. You basically refused to provide those photos for us. You WERE a valued member of the TGO family, so nobody here was calling you out until you started name calling and getting all defensive.

In response to the name calling by odin65, I'm not sure if you've looked in a mirror before complaining about this. You just called him a ding bat. And if you say that you didn't, I will have to say that you didn't "directly" call him a ding bat, but by offering him your prestigious award, you "indirectly" called him names first. Pot calling the kettle black comes to mind.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro RS B4C
Engine: 5.7 TPI Crate Motor
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.42

Specifically-- these pictures. Who will state publicly and unequivocally that these photos are of LOT 442.1 and taken on Barrett-Jackson Property?

First picture looks like there is a reflection of a grid ceiling tile. I thought they only had tents at BJ?
Old 01-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Ill say it again.... post pictures of these areas on the car and put this to bed. I'm sure you are in contact with the new owner. Have him take a phone and take the same exact pictures of the ones posted on FB and then post them here to prove to us that it is indeed not the same car. How hard is that??? Show us the evidence and end this dumpster fire of a thread here.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:12 PM

Nobody on TGO needs to prove anything. Nobody here stated the car had paint issues. Nobody here said the seller was deceptive. We just linked to the pictures on FB and asked for clarification, to which we only got an attitude in response. None of the photos have any valuable reflection to prove anything, that I could see.

I really hope the new owner joins the site. He still has a great car and we are still a great community. Why Phil told the buyer about this thread, to upset them more, is beyond me. Maybe they will come in here and provide the simple pictures that have been asked for. If that does happen, it will fix the question about the car, but it won't fix Phil's reputation that he so easily tarnished.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Lol even if same car as the pics I'm sure everything is in the process of getting cleaned up so looks like nothing ever went down. Then we will see pics.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JT
This thread has been finished long ago. There is no use in trying to get you to see that you've been your worst enemy in this thread from the start. People have spoken. You won't listen and continue on. It's you, not everyone else. You really think your behavior in this thread has helped you? I'd bet less and less people care at this point of the "world record" car because your behavior has overshadowed the interest.

The pictures were posted publicly on Facebook and simply hot-linked here for discussion. Your attitude has been wrong and so is your understanding of how this works. Any legal concerns for our company is for our legal team, period. Enough of discussion on that topic and the threats.

I don't know this guy nor do I care to know him. But he has a point regarding the posting of the pictures on this thread. The cool thing would have been to PM this guy the pictures and let him know what people are saying. It wasn't necessary to post the pictures on here. People should just mind their business. As far as I can tell he posted pictures of the car and everything seems to look as if it is aligned perfectly, and in the questionable pictures it looks as if the door and fender are not aligning correctly. Something is shady here that is obvious. I don't understand why there would be a reflection of what looks like a 2x4 ceiling tile under a tent.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM

steves, you're right about some of the pictures not appearing correct. That's why we asked for clarification. If Phil stated that the pictures weren't of his car, then great, but he didn't. He started making excuses that made no sense and then later played it that he was just letting us dig a deeper hole for his amusement. His reasons for what we were seeing in the pics made no sense and he should've said they weren't of his car, but he never did that until I questioned if they were of another car. His response...Bingo! His story changed with each discussion or question.

I still think the photos are of another car, but after the treatment the members here have gotten, I don't care to push the issue to resolution anymore, unless it's by the new owner.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:15 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

Phil, if the pictures which were posted were not of the car in question, it would have saved a lot of people grief with a simple statement "Those pictures are not of the car I sold at auction" With that, looking at the picture of the tail lights alone make me question the source of the original pictures and whether or not they are of the same car. If the pictures were taken at the auction, was there a second Camaro in which they could have been taken? After reviewing the thread (briefly) It seems that the pic of the supposed tail lights do not look good at all, they look like 100,000 mile tail lights to me. On top of that they look to be repainted. So with that I suspect the pictures in which we are arguing over are indeed not from the car that you sold at auction.

With that said I would really like to be proven correct. I would like some good pictures of the car, to attempt to decipher whether or not they are indeed the same car!!!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by okfoz
Phil, if the pictures which were posted were not of the car in question, it would have saved a lot of people grief with a simple statement "Those pictures are not of the car I sold at auction" With that, looking at the picture of the tail lights alone make me question the source of the original pictures and whether or not they are of the same car. If the pictures were taken at the auction, was there a second Camaro in which they could have been taken? After reviewing the thread (briefly) It seems that the pic of the supposed tail lights do not look good at all, they look like 100,000 mile tail lights to me. On top of that they look to be repainted. So with that I suspect the pictures in which we are arguing over are indeed not from the car that you sold at auction.

With that said I would really like to be proven correct. I would like some good pictures of the car, to attempt to decipher whether or not they are indeed the same car!!!

IMO, it's a mute point now.....it is what it is at this point.....too much time has past and I'm sure all those areas will be fixed so you cant tell a thing from the pics.
For me, it's no longer about the car, the sale or if it was re-painted or touched up......it's the way in which the seller addressed the questions here. His responses and answers make him look foolish
and give me reason to suspect foul play and a dishonest representation of the car.....claybar, compound, detailing residue, etc, etc, etc.......he spun up a real web of BS and I would never feel we are getting the "real"
story on this car......I'm sure it will pop up at auction again, looking perfect. For me, the damage has been done on this one......
Old 01-21-2019, 02:27 PM
Banned

Steve,

It is about who is in control. The PM's and emails I am receiving are all telling me that the thread was a failed attempt to in essence "reign you in"

Another guy who is a member here really nailed it: He said they are following Sol Alinsky. According to Alinsky his "Rules for Radicals is written for the Have-Nots on how to take it away." He went on to state You know they cannot stand that you sold the car and this is how they plan to take your triumph away"

But you know while everybody in this thread is flailing away---- the very foundation of the attack which is the photos- is literally falling apart right here right now. Finally somebody sees the reflections in the ceiling eureka!

And notice now that this has happened it is no longer the car... It is all about that bad guy "who has to look in the mirror" (Me of course) cause I refuse to play ball and so far give the people who started this a graceful exit. It is now a get Phil thread!

In fact JT just said: "You can post all the pictures you want of the car prior to the auction" and For others, it will do nothing for your name due to all the insults and non-sense you've thrown to this community" So TGO admin does not even think pictures are productive now and has said so on the record. this despite two or more pages where exactly that was the stated goal.

It is obvious to me that TGO is more concerned with starting a good a flame war for clicks and then god forbid you get caught gas lighting it - you shift to blame the victim for standing up for himself (again that would be me)

But you know it in the end this whole thing is really not about me at all. Why? Because when I signed the power of Attorney and sent the title to Barrett they technically had full legal control over the car not me Barrett presented it advertised it and sold it. Barrett Jackson also did a receipt inspection and vetted the car extensively before they would accept the car and if they found any inconsistency in the seller's description the LOT could be rejected on the spot. it is so bad on the Gen 1 cars that they have experts verify them in detail.

So I guess this has been put to rest then? Nobody will admit the photos are fake, nobody will come to grips that members here colluded with the faker to insert the link and the photos into the thread --and finally now it is all about "bad guy Phil and how he is treating the TGO community"- That about sum it up?

Ok Scott:

I will let you off the hook-- go ahead and lock the thread down - heck go ahead clean it up if you want.

There there is the exit you guys have been looking for. Go ahead and take it
Old 01-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 HO
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.73

If I was somewhere looking at my small phone screen, I would not be able to tell if the pictures were of someone else's car or not. Then being bombarded questioning my integrity, I would pretty much be caught off guard and would probably saying things wrong. But then that is just me, not used to the confrontation of the internet.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
steves, you're right about some of the pictures not appearing correct. That's why we asked for clarification. If Phil stated that the pictures weren't of his car, then great, but he didn't. He started making excuses that made no sense and then later played it that he was just letting us dig a deeper hole for his amusement. His reasons for what we were seeing in the pics made no sense and he should've said they weren't of his car, but he never did that until I questioned if they were of another car. His response...Bingo! His story changed with each discussion or question.

I still think the photos are of another car, but after the treatment the members here have gotten, I don't care to push the issue to resolution anymore, unless it's by the new owner.
I didn't read the whole thread. My opinion is that those pictures should have been sent to Phil directly not posted on here for everyone to scrutinize. That would upset anyone and cause them to lose their cool. In the end, it doesn't matter if those pictures are of the car in question or not. That's the new owner's problem and if he or she is happy with their purchase then what is the issue here?
Old 01-21-2019, 02:44 PM
JT
Community Administrator

In fact JT just said: "You can post all the pictures you want of the car prior to the auction" and For others, it will do nothing for your name due to all the insults and non-sense you've thrown to this community" So TGO admin does not even think pictures are productive now and has said so on the record. this despite two or more pages where exactly that was the stated goal.
Second time you misquoted me by omitting a sentence. I specifically said:

Originally Posted by JT
You can post all the pictures you want of the car prior to the auction. That might help some some people. For others, it will do nothing for your name due to all the insults and non-sense you've thrown to this community.
And I stand by that comment. Some members will be fine if they see actual pictures that show the car in question as not having paint work. Others will no longer care because it has turned so personal with your insults, attitude and disregard that the damage to your name may not fully erase. You are responsible for that, as several people have pointed out.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:50 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Originally Posted by steves
I didn't read the whole thread. My opinion is that those pictures should have been sent to Phil directly not posted on here for everyone to scrutinize. That would upset anyone and cause them to lose their cool. In the end, it doesn't matter if those pictures are of the car in question or not. That's the new owner's problem and if he or she is happy with their purchase then what is the issue here?
The pictures were posted on Facebook for anyone to see (public) and hot-linked here since the OP created this thread about his car and there was talk about it. How the Internet works. Very good chance they are now on other websites. Again, Facebook was the originating source of the pictures, not TGO.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:53 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27

*sigh*
Old 01-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JT
The pictures were posted on Facebook for anyone to see (public) and hot-linked here since the OP created this thread about his car and there was talk about it. How the Internet works.
That is correct.....social media, FB, twitter, (just ask the president) etc, etc,....it's the world we live in today.
Dont try to throw anyone under the bus for posting up the pics on TGO.....they were already "out there"
Old 01-21-2019, 02:57 PM
Banned

Phil, if the pictures which were posted were not of the car in question, it would have saved a lot of people grief with a simple statement "Those pictures are not of the car I sold at auction" :
Hey what if I told you your car was salvage title and I spread it across the internet? Would you take me seriously?

I told you guys repeatedly this whole line of discussion was silly from the get go did I not?

I began to think the whole thing was a joke, I did claybar the car. I did tape it off. The residue story was an exit I offered early- and it was plausible that I could have missed a residue line (and I am still not taking any of this crazyness seriously at this point) and as such If there was any tape lines whatsoever that would be the source.

Participants in the thread however quickly backed into their respective corners and moderators failed to check what was going on. That is how we got to this place.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JT
The pictures were posted on Facebook for anyone to see (public) and hot-linked here since the OP created this thread about his car and there was talk about it. How the Internet works. Very good chance they are now on other websites. Again, Facebook was the originating source of the pictures, not TGO.

JT not trying to argue with you, but the pictures were posted in a private group as stated on this thread. The person that posted these pictures stated he wanted Phil to see the pictures. If he was so worried about Phil seeing them he should have PM'd him.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:09 PM

Hey what if I told you your car was salvage title and I spread it across the internet? Would you take me seriously?

I told you guys repeatedly this whole line of discussion was silly from the get go did I not?

I began to think the whole thing was a joke, I did claybar the car. I did tape it off. The residue story was an exit I offered early- and it was plausible that I could have missed a residue line (and I am still not taking any of this crazyness seriously at this point) and as such If there was any tape lines whatsoever that would be the source.

Participants in the thread however quickly backed into their respective corners and moderators failed to check what was going on. That is how we got to this place.
Hold on buddy, I did not "fail" to check what was going on. I saw what was going on and I was sitting back waiting for the information to sift out. One thing I have learned in life is you never know what tidbit of information is pertinent to a conversation until ALL of the leaves have fallen from the tree. I asked honest questions, and I was looking for honest answers.

Blaming me, Scott or JT for that matter is not the answer here. You could not answer some questions on how claybar residue looked an awful lot like over spray, which at first glance of said pictures should have been "That is not the car I sold at BJ, hiding behind BJ stating they are the ones with power of Attorney is not a "get out of jail for free either. You keep shifting the blame to BJ, to the claybar, not to the simple fact of whether or not the pictures are from the sold car or not.

I am here looking for the truth just as much as anyone else. A lot of other people have gotten on the overreaction bandwagon and made a mess, and you are not innocent within the whole process of making said mess.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Sol Alinsky? Really? Why do you think we are so shallow to actually care that the car sold for what it did? We were happy to see the 4.3 mile 1985 IROC sell in the $30k range. We're ok with the 1LEs selling in the upper stratosphere. We don't care if you sold the car for $60k. If it is as you said it is, that's a great story that you sold it for so much. The issue has absolutely nothing to do with the sale price as much as it has to do with your attitude towards us. Many of us here have been saying for years that 3rd gen values are increasing. The higher these auction prices go, proves our point. Your argument here doesn't hold water.

You also mention that we are driving people to TGO with this reality TV show. You've been on this board for almost 8 years now and if this was the behavior of TGO, then why are you still here if you're so opposed to us and the way we get members? Remember, you just recently started this thread, so you just recently were ok with TGO.

Again I will say that we are about the truth here. Many people have come to TGO claiming to have 1 of the supposed 1986 350 cars, but after being challenged and shown how to verify, they have always just disappeared without ever providing proof. So with that, we don't believe any exist. Without proof, anybody can say anything, but it makes the accuser look stupid when they are proven wrong. In this case, you have yet to prove the accuser wrong and created ridiculous responses that make the accuser have more credibility than you.

If you told me my car had a salvage title, I would ask for evidence that proves your case. Without ANY evidence, it proves nothing. Much like what we have here. You provided absolutely nothing to disprove the accusation. And, before you destroyed your reputation here, we would've believed you and put the FB guy on notice. But, here we are, still asking for some shred of evidence, and the only thing we have is the original accusation from FB.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I just really feel bad for the new owner....if it is indeed a repaint and he was lied too. The car will resurface in the future with the black cloud over it unless SOMEONE can prove to us that the pics were not of the car in question.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Originally Posted by steves
JT not trying to argue with you, but the pictures were posted in a private group as stated on this thread. The person that posted these pictures stated he wanted Phil to see the pictures. If he was so worried about Phil seeing them he should have PM'd him.
I see no need to be so secretive about it. If it was fake, etc., all one had to do is reply something like "yeah that's a bad repaint, except it's not even my car!" and could have even gone as far as to supply a picture to completely shut the other party down and close the case and make this an entirely different direction. At first, it wasn't even stated the pictures weren't of the car!

Comments on Facebook, which trickled here, regarding the paint, due to those pictures posted on Facebook, was not going to stay silent on the Internet in 2019.

Note the pictures are still in fact hosted off of Facebook's servers. Therefore, they're not entirely private if they can be accessed outside of Facebook. And even if limited to a group who knows the URL, it still doesn't make it entirely private because they can easily be so shared - as proven here.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
I just really feel bad for the new owner....if it is indeed a repaint and he was lied too. The car will resurface in the future with the black cloud over it unless SOMEONE can prove to us that the pics were not of the car in question.
At this point it would have to be a video and a paint meter to satisfy many skeptics.. But if the car is super straight with under 400 Miles, mechanically original and no bodywork, that matters more than a little paint work..

I would have just said it was not the car if I was the OP.. I think he was thinking of reasons pictures like that could surface and thought about stuff he did..

As far as the detailing goes, I’ve never seen a clay bar remove paint, only oxidation and contaminants. I’ve also never taped a car off for just claying the paint, usually only if it will be polished as well. Seems like a waste of time since just spraying lube and rubbing putty is pretty easy to avoid decals/trim, etc. I usually test panels and most cars don’t need every inch done. I generally don’t touch paint that doesn’t need it. The plastic bag trick helps find contaminants and oxidation.

From chemicalguys.com

I know now there are different grades of claybar, but used properly it should not remove paint, only contaminants. I’ve never tried it on areas that are “unfinished/not cleared” like under the hood. I’ve never seen paint get onto a claybar on an exterior unless it was maybe overspray from spray paint or undercoating. Clay doesn’t even effectively remove sap (I use rubbing alcohol and then wax right away)

I just don’t think people should generally think claybarring will remove paint. It takes oxidation and contaminants by gliding across a lubed surface with the putty extracting embedded debris. Polish works down scratches and swirls in the paint and wax seals it.. I would only tape off things you don’t want to hit with a buffer by accident..

Old 01-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by JT
I see no need to be so secretive about it. If it was fake, etc., all one had to do is reply something like "yeah that's a bad repaint, except it's not even my car!" and could have even gone as far as to supply a picture to completely shut the other party down and close the case and make this an entirely different direction. At first, it wasn't even stated the pictures weren't of the car!

Note the pictures are still in fact hosted off of Facebook's servers. Therefore, they're not entirely private if they can be accessed outside of Facebook. And even if limited to a group who knows the URL, it still doesn't make it entirely private because they can easily be so shared - as proven here.
To clarify, that "private group" has almost 6,600 members. If you like IROCs, and are on FB, that is one of the groups you're on. To enter it, you simply need to request and if you are a real person, you are approved, just like many enthusiast pages. Those pics were being discussed all over the place, in venues other than TGO, including by many of us in this very thread. If I didn't post them, they would have been posted by someone else very, very soon. I know that for a fact. My hope was that some plausible explanation existed. Instead we've seen a member literally self immolate himself with stories, insults and accusations. Very disheartening.

So, apparently the person who took the pics plans on registering here to respond. We'll see.

Last edited by chazman; 01-21-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 PM

That would be awesome, because then we can hear it directly from the accuser and see how his story holds up. If he's man enough to join just to discuss this issue, he then already has more credibility than what we've been subjected to so far here.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Banned

I can’t wait to hear the explanation from whoever took the pictures. I would like to know why there is what looks like a reflection of a 2x4 ceiling tile.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I would like to know why there is what looks like a reflection of a 2x4 ceiling tile.
It's not. It's the inside framework of the tent it was under. Look at post 284 and you'll see it from the outside. Proof? -hardly, but every bit as likely as ceiling tile.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by Abubaca
It's not. It's the inside framework of the tent it was under. Look at post 284 and you'll see it from the outside. Proof? -hardly, but every bit as likely as ceiling tile.
If you look at the other photos on the FB page, that's exactly what it is.

Quick Reply: 1989 IROC 344 original miles