History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

another crazy flip

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: another crazy flip

Originally Posted by ray jr
reality is kicking in on this poor guy who thought he hit the jackpot , price down to 15,000
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5982782256659/
He bought it right. He might make a couple bucks flipping it. Nice car, but the guy looking to pay top dollar right now, wants original paint.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by chazman
He bought it right. He might make a couple bucks flipping it. Nice car, but the guy looking to pay top dollar right now, wants original paint.
i agree , repaints are a hard sell .. its on ebay now maybe he will have some luck this time around ..
Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

He's really desperate to dump it now. The price drops a couple hundred bucks every few hours.

BIN $12K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Chevro...kAAOSwordcv60T
Old 07-07-2019, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Woulda been a nice grab at around $12K.
now's your chance , lol
Old 07-08-2019, 08:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

I like that car a lot..

A repaint wouldn’t devalue the car that much of you can prove and arrest to the quality of the job. You’d have to list the car somewhere with better pictures (professionally done perhaps) and even maybe a good video. The higher dollar cars are campaigned by the classic car dealers and they probably get more money than some guy slapping some low res phone pictures on eBay. To get more money the sight unseen buyers have to feel pretty comfortable..

He does mention some sort of fender blemish and there’s no picture of it so I find that troubling though I like the honesty.. I like the story of the car, but what if the paint job was because the Niece that the car was left to didn’t have a garage and didn’t cover the car so the clearcoat failed sitting in the sun.. Or even worse, she had a little accident.. I worry that when cars are “left” to people, they might not treasure and care for it like the original owner..

I would think a good seller could get at least $18k for it.. $12k is a great deal from what I can see.. Nice color combo..
Old 07-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

i just sold my 87 last week and would of bought this car if it wasnt a repaint .. i bet vanguard would of snagged it up to .. the guy don i talk to at vanguard told me he does not buy repainted irocs and most people paying good money for a iroc will not buy a repainted one .. repaints kill these cars !!
Old 07-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

i just sold my 87 last week and would of bought this car if it wasnt a repaint .. i bet vanguard would of snagged it up to .. the guy don i talk to at vanguard told me he does not buy repainted irocs and most people paying good money for a iroc will not buy a repainted one .. repaints kill these cars !!
The other thing is the differing quality of repaints. Few go all out for a superior job. Poor online photos can hide a lot of poor masking, non- disassembly, over spray and........................claybar residue.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

"Claybar residue" is now the official lingo for "Maaco Masking".

Overspray on weatherstrips, that's just "Claybar residue", ignore it.

Body color door handles? No sir, that's only "Claybar residue".

It's now a thing like other classics...

"Surface Rust" = Body rot.
"Rare" = So ugly the designer hated it.
"3/4 race cam" = Farm truck engine

Last edited by Drew; 07-08-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

The other thing is the differing quality of repaints. Few go all out for a superior job. Poor online photos can hide a lot of poor masking, non- disassembly, over spray and........................claybar residue.
the problem is most people i talk to wont even waste there time looking at a repaint to see the quality of it .. why would someone pay top dollar for a repaint when they can buy an all original car for the same , not going to happen ..
Old 07-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Supreme Member

It makes it a little more difficult to sell because no one wants to fly somewhere to check out a car that is a repaint with poor pictures only to find it has drips, wasn’t disassembled and has evidence of taping off, and has an orange peel texture worse than the factory. Most dealers don’t want to deal with the variations in paint job quality of they don’t know where it was done or how to score the job against perfect factory paint. With factory paint even with chips and blemishes, there is a standard a buyer can expect and even if the car is disappointing on delivery you get to say, “Well the paint IS ORIGINAL”

Anyone in my area looking for an IROC would buy a car painted by the guy I took mine to. Cars he paints sell for in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and you won’t find any evidence with a magnifying glass of overspray, imperfections or tape marks.. The guy has a waiting list of at least a year to get cars painted. He just did a low mile Grand National for a collector that found the car in Florida. He calls it a restoration, not a paint job and that’s why he usually scares people away with the price.

The original paint issue is just piece of mind but you can overcome that if you know how to sell and if you know you have a 100% factory correct show quality paint job superior to the original from a high level painter that has connections and credentials with high end collectors..

I would worry about this black IROCs paint quality in person and it is a gamble..

I think this guy might be in a bad local market and doesn’t know how to sell the car properly to someone who would ship..

Vanguard has had IROCs that were repaints before.. I’ve seen no door moldings, incorrect decals, incorrect wheels, bad interior mods, etc... still asking top dollar based on the mileage and the “brand spanking new” underside..

People that want to drive and show these cars are paying good money for them now too not just collectors..

There might be a little premium for flawless original paint, but a proper show car will do well..
Old 07-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

It does seem Vanguard has been focusing more on the lower mile:

“barely been driven”

“only 1600 miles”

“this paint is original”

“look at the wheels not a mark on them”

“these tires are original so if you’re gonna drive it, you’re gonna want to get new tires and save these babies”

”brand spankin new under here”

Much easier to stick to your asking price and find buyers worldwide that will buy sight unseen with their business model. Not everyone wants a $37k IROC either.. But it better be brand new, never sneezed in for that price..

That would be a funny inside joke if he starts saying in the video, “No evidence of any claybar residue folks, this baby is truly original!”
Old 07-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ

Vanguard has had IROCs that were repaints before.. I’ve seen no door moldings, incorrect decals, incorrect wheels, bad interior mods, etc... still asking top dollar based on the mileage and the “brand spanking new” underside..

People that want to drive and show these cars are paying good money for them now too not just collectors..

There might be a little premium for flawless original paint, but a proper show car will do well..
I've seen obvious repaints with no door moldings, etc., and they have straight up denied it.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Yup.. They had a black one where the guy said “we swapped out the stripes and decals because they were faded...

If the car was “kept” so nice how did that happen on a 12k mile car? My original stripes and decals were perfect on my 31k mile car... They also put 87 style repro wheels with black and brushed aluminum and stated “the car had the aftermarket wheels so we put brand new wheels and tires on”...

No thanks for over $30k.. I’m obsessed with paint, but I almost look more critically at wheels, interior, underside, emblems, lights, trim, etc.. This is assuming it’s clear the car hasn’t been hit.. I can fix paint..
Old 07-08-2019, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. It was this car from a different dealer.

Facebook Post

[img]https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b1&oe=5DB049D1[/img]
Old 07-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Just checked it out.. yeah, no moldings and no door edge guards..

Car looks exceptional though.. for 40k miles the seats and carpets looked perfect.. from the pics the paint looks really good.. If that black one was marketed like that one, tell the best story of the car you can, look for a build or trim sheet, see if you can get the original owners manual, dealer brochures, original floor mats, etc.. Looking at the detailed higher res pics and reading the description goes a long way. They made the car seem more special than the guys selling the black one with pixelated photos and CAPS LOCK DESCRIPTION... Some sellers put high res photos in the description.. If you can’t find something special about the car, how do you expect anyone else to?

It’s really a bummer on the 85-87 cars when there’s no door moldings because the 88-90 style looks wrong but there’s not even a repro of that molding..

I know some guys like having no moldings, it just looks wrong to me..
Old 07-08-2019, 04:56 PM

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. It was this car from a different dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/GRClassics/...93320064129578

[img]https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b1&oe=5DB049D1
The nose is a way different color than the fender/hood.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

He showed me the build sheet that said B48 TRIM DEL to prove the door moldings were a factory delete option. I told him TRIM DEL stood for "Trim Deluxe". Anyway, doesn't matter. someone already bought it.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by LeonardS
The nose is a way different color than the fender/hood.
Original paint IROCs have that problem too.. I’ve heard something to the effect that the body and the urethane parts were painted at different times so even brand new there was variance... Maybe there’s another explanation..
Old 07-09-2019, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Original paint IROCs have that problem too.. I’ve heard something to the effect that the body and the urethane parts were painted at different times so even brand new there was variance... Maybe there’s another explanation..
Plastics do absorb paints and primers differently and a by product of this is the plastics appear lighter as the paint is slightly thinner. Plastics also notoriously fade faster than on the steel. You can see this still on new cars today the slight difference in the color from body to bumper.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 5.0 L TPI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

As fun as ungodly performance is, I like a car that feels like I went in a time machine. I don’t even like listening to music that’s not period correct!

Oh, man... you have no idea how glad I am to hear that I'm not the only one that feels this way! Thank God for my iPod!
Old 07-09-2019, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by FinallyGotMyZ
Oh, man... you have no idea how glad I am to hear that I'm not the only one that feels this way! Thank God for my iPod!
Seriously! My vette and my IROC have their own playlists..