Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Can these door panels be reused? Top holes are torn

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can these door panels be reused? Top holes are torn

Looking at geting these from someone but I dont know if they can be reused after the holes are torn out

Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More
Re: Can these door panels be reused? Top holes are torn

If that's the part of the panel that's covered by the top sill plate, then you might be able to "fab" the holes back in. A good example was my trunk glove box. It was flopping all over the place. When I removed the inner quarter panel to paint it, the glove box was damaged pretty bad at the holes and hanging by a couple threads. The inside was also scuffed and scratched pretty badly and one of the corners was coming apart and being held together with velcro (yes velcro).

Since it was cardboard I figured I could just buy another one and ripped it right off. A couple nights later after I got into my perfectionist stage I was looking at it over in the corner and began to regret wasting money. I thought for a bit and then decided how I could "rebuild" the holes. I cut two of those clear CD's you get at the top and bottom of a stack of CD-R's to a dremel tool to fit, then superglued (I also used superglue to reinforce any creases in the cardboard. Since It's basically paper were talking about here I figured a soak in and dry sort of glue would work best) them to the cardboard and reinforced them by drilling 4 screws through each CD. I also used the same screw fix to repair that damaged corner. I then painted it and reattached it to the quarter panel. It's now back in the car holding on as stiff as a board with about 5 - 6 pounds of various cleaning products in it. I call it my ghetto glovebox fix.

Of course with your application it will take more than a couple CD's but the point is where theres a will theres a way.

Waiting for glue to dry. Taken before paint.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi
Re: Can these door panels be reused? Top holes are torn

yeah, they can be reused easily... the door panels that are less usuable are the ones that have the pop-rivet holes rip through, now those are pretty much useless..