Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

restoring my 83 Trans Am interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
restoring my 83 Trans Am interior

i have an 83 TA it has everything else done so now im on the interior its in good shape but the top of the dash has a crack on the passenger side and i need a new radio panel with the 4 proper screws, the dash and console are black with black armrests, but the seats, carpet, headliner, 6x9 covers, and rear panels are brown. I would like everything to be black. Where are the best places to shop, and while i am doing the interior is there any upgrades or cool things to do it?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 04 Silverado
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: auto
Re: restoring my 83 Trans Am interior

The best places to shop are Junk Yards if there are any in your area. Even if you don't find what you need pull good parts and either sell them or trade them. The parts wanted section here on the board are also a great place to find nearly anything you might need. There are alot or interchangeable parts between Camaros and Firebirds, the seats, carpet, 6x9 covers, and rear panels from any third gen should fit depending on the options you have on your car. The later model panels won't fit because of the shoulder belts, also if you have the cargo shade, pull down, or other items make sure you mention these when you are looking for parts.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: restoring my 83 Trans Am interior

I wish i could get parts from my junkyard they are usually picked clean with nothing but a shell left, the ones i do find with parts on them have usually been rained on several times or been on fire, etc..., it doesnt help that guys at two of the junkyards have 3rd gens, so any real steal there has already been caught by them. One of them had the ***** to tell me 1800$ for a t5 that was damn near toast , and they wanted my t5 aswell for that 1800$, I didnt even ask how much for it alone. So im hoping to try this online thing for parts, i have seen lots of good deals just dont trust them so for now im jus buying parts new or online from reputable companies.

im not knocking junkyards they are really good when it comes to my cutlass and truck, good for finding big blocks and small blocks too. but when it comes to my 83 Trans Am i have a hard time. I was lucky enough to find a y-pipe once 8 years ago but thats it, ooooh i found a rad once for it too but after i drove 40km to get it one of the junkyard workers came in and told them they were holding it for him so i didnt get it. I lost time at work i took off to get it plus 80k of driving, and didnt even get a discount or anything.

Last edited by DirtyCanadian; 05-20-2008 at 08:44 PM.