Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Digital dash problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Trans am
Engine: TBI 350 HO Vortec heads
Transmission: 700R4
Digital dash problems

Hey all, I just bought a 87 GTA with the digital dash option, mostly everything works except a good half of the tachometer ticks/lights are burnt out and also the plastic covering over some of the guages has cracked and sort of bubbled to an extent.

So my questions are:
-Will taking the dash off and replacing blubs help with the ticks?
-If blubs wont help how could I get the ticks to show back up?
-Is their any way to replace the plastic covering over the guages?
-On and upgrade note is there some way to make the instrument planel brighter?

Thanks for listening!

Last edited by Borsty; 03-07-2010 at 04:35 AM. Reason: addition of question
Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 AM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM GTA
Engine: Tune-port Injected 6.3L
Transmission: Borg-Warner T56 six-speed
Axle/Gears: Borg/Warner 9-bolt with 3.70:1
Re: Digital dash problems

I have the same digital dash in my 1988 GTA. Personally...I'm not a big fan of it after having it. At first it was cool, but that quickly wore off after it was apparent the thing was going to be more difficult to read (especially driving towards the sun). If your oil pressure runs above 60psi (I believe that's the highest number on the indicator) it won't register on the gage at all. The water temp gage is also difficult to determine exactly how hot you're running because of how the increments are set up. With all of the bulbs functioning as they're supposed to it is moderately bright during the day; however, if the bulbs go out then it becomes more difficult to read during the day. The odometer and system check parts often go bad where they won't display or the numbers will be displayed broken. The system check is supposed to clue you into issues with your car (i.e. door open (driver/passenger), hood, trunk, coolant, windshield washer fluid, etc.), but will also malfunction and tell you something is wrong when it isn't. Mine tells me the passenger door is open all the time and my odometer doesn't work at all. When the odomenter isn't working it doesn't track mileage.

Eventually mine will be coming out and swapped for a custom gage cluster and aftermarket gages because I hate mine so much. I've replaced bulbs and cleaned terminals. Luckily I don't have issues like the ones you described in your post. You can try to change out the bulbs to see if that will correct your tach problem, but I doubt that it will. That sounds more like an issue with the board itself. There is also no replacement plastic overlays for the digital dash that I'm aware of. Lastly, the only way to make it any brighter is to make sure all of the bulbs are working. As I mentioned, if they're not it'll make it even more difficult to read during the day.

Good luck with it.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 AM

Car: 89 GTA & 76 T/A
Engine: 5.7/455
Transmission: GTA Auto/76 T/A 4speed

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to pull the digital dash out? My odometer also only lights up for a bit and then goes out too. everything is lit but i wanted to try to clean the terminals on the back and see if that helps?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

Its not really hard to take out our dash, Its just a lot of little screws ,Keep them organized they are different sizes for certain pannels.
Good luck with your's