Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Who needs seats upholstered?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Who needs seats upholstered?

My daughter is thinking of expanding into the auto upholstery business- she is a fashion designer. I know, I know, but she designs and makes her own line, so she has the experience to at least design and fab seat covers. I am trying to see what kind of work she could get from the 3rd genners. Can you PM me with what you need, so we can gauge if it is worth her time. Sorry if I am not doing this the right way, moderators...
Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM

Re: Who needs seats upholstered?

any idea what her labor costs will be ?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: ???

Are we talking slip on or a full on you have the seat re-do-thing?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM

i need my seats rear and front re-covered, not just seat covers, what is her charge?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM

i am looking for interior parts for my 84 camaro, i need a new dash, lhead liner, carpeting, ect.... any ideas where to find this stuff? thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by micktroup2
My daughter is thinking of expanding into the auto upholstery business- she is a fashion designer. I know, I know, but she designs and makes her own line, so she has the experience to at least design and fab seat covers. I am trying to see what kind of work she could get from the 3rd genners. Can you PM me with what you need, so we can gauge if it is worth her time. Sorry if I am not doing this the right way, moderators...
has she ever removed old upholstery and installed new? Or, would she simply make new upholstery based upon measurements that you took from your own vehicle?

FWIW, I bought a brand new leather interior for my 3rd gen. I removed the old nasty cloth and installed the leather. I got the leather upholstery for all 4 seats for $260. I was fortunate to find such a good deal because the market is more around $600.

Another alternative is the coverking covers on Amazon. They are vinyl and slip on snug and look like the actual seat upholstery. I did the front seats of my 4th gen for $170

that's a little market data for you

I'd suggest a sponsorship on this site and see what it gets you.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Sounds interesting... I would think the most economical way would be for you to strip off your seat covers and send them in to be used as patterns. I can't see anyone coughing up the Benjamins to ship seats across the country and back to have them remanufactured. I might have here help me redo my seats and see how everyone likes it...thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds interesting... I would think the most economical way would be for you to strip off your seat covers and send them in to be used as patterns. I can't see anyone coughing up the Benjamins to ship seats across the country and back to have them remanufactured. I might have here help me redo my seats and see how everyone likes it...thanks for the help guys!

I understand why you would suggest that because it minimizes the need to go out and try and find dimensions of different seats. But, unless someone can have their car off the road for an extended period of time, shipping the seat fabric is not very convenient for the consumer. Also, it's an added expense and it costs about $20 to ship.

If she's serious, then she should try an ad in the local craigslist and have people bring the car to her. She could then take measurements, discuss fabrics, write a contract and take a deposit.

But, I would first have her remove the fabric from all 4 seats and then re-skin the seats including using the metal rods that pull tight the fabric.

See if she enjoys doing it
Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Car: 87 formula
Engine: LG4

what state do you live in?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 67 ******mobile
Engine: 385 Solid roller
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

Good post torque is good. She should def. try a pair or two. More to it than sewing. If the foam needs working, or replacing it can change things.

has she considered working for an upholsterer to learn all the tricks then maybe getting some onesie twosie clients on her own til she can float away and do her own thing comfortably?

one thing about car people...most are deal hunters and somewhat picky

Best of luck on the venture though.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:42 AM

You mean most of us are tightwads!! LOL! We live in CA...
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

You mean most of us are tightwads!! LOL! We live in CA...
yup, but, if you set aside $500 to do a mod, and were able to do it for $400, you'd end up spending the $100 on something else for the car.

It's just how we are, but we don't like overpaying.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM

Car: 1985 IROC Z
Engine: 355/400+ HP
Transmission: 700 R4

Got my carpet at Classic Industries and my headliners, sail panels, and sun visors at Hawks Third Generation Parts.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Car: 89 firebird bone stock for now
Engine: 2.8L V6
Axle/Gears: B.W 9Bolt 3.27 Posi

have you guys considered going to a local salvage yard or junk yard and finding some decent looking seats and working on those to see how work turns out because if anything bad may happen... knock on wood, you now suddenly dont have seats lol. just throwing the idea out there. it might cost a bit to get a set of seats but it could put her skills to the test also. and on the upside if work turns out great you now have a set of seats for sale and profit on those. you get me??