Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

ABS headliner

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Re: ABS headliner

I just called a shop local to me that's been in business for over 40 years. I asked them about a few different things I'm looking to get done, but they quoted me a price of $225 for the headliner, sail panels and visors. They mentioned that they would prefer removing the fabric from the backing board so they can be sure to fix any damaged areas that they created and not something I created. They also said they could completely redo the visors with new innards and fabric. So, an upholstery shop might not be too out of line for getting this done on the original board.

Another shop I called quoted $200 for the headliner alone and $45 for each visor and sail panel. Not all upholstery shops are created equal, so do your homework and you might get fantastic results for a realistic price.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 & 1991 Firebird Formula 350's
Engine: 350 ci
Transmission: T 5 & 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23 & 3:27

with your comments... can we distinguish between the T top head liner or the hard top headliner? My impression is that the T top has fit issues but the hard top fits OK. Is that right?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:28 AM

From what I'm hearing and seeing, the hardtop car headliners are fine, and the ttop headliners are not!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:35 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Oh BOY.............

Here we go AGAIN from the "purists".................
Old 12-17-2017, 08:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

It’s up to you wether you think they are good enough, but they are not the same as original.
They are both molded from the wrong side of the original headliner so both are a little off on dimensions.
The shape and fit of the ttop headliner is much more critical so it is more noticeable it’s not the same.
The hardtop one has trim around all of it to hide any size differences. Ttop has no way to hide the gaps at the center bar and front.
Because the original hard top headliner has a different shape on the backside, a large ridge running down the middle to stiffen it, the reproduction has this ridge on the front side.
Some people like the way it look and it offers more headroom than the original.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:13 AM

fortunately, I need a hard top. I did have a T top that didn't fit well after I scraped off the old one and installed new fabric. I bought some black friction fit lace and put it on the edge around the T top opening and it worked perfectly ... no gaps.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1991 base firebird
Engine: tbi 305
Transmission: 700r4

I have an old hot rod pick up. ive had to replace a lot of parts with repro and understand what the guys are saying about aftermarket fit and finish. my 91 t-top came to me without a headliner. it was clearly ripped out. I'm going to try to find a salvageable original if I can just because ive dealt with aftermarket parts. if I cant find one then I'm sure the abs will look great once I perform minor surgery on it. ya do what ya gotta do.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:36 AM

This is what I used on my T top to clear up any gaps. It worked great. And I don't knock repro stuff too much. The people that create that stuff usually do so at a break even or loss and if they didn't take the time to do it we wouldn't have it.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...8/product.html
Old 12-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by sonjaab
Oh BOY.............

Here we go AGAIN from the "purists".................
And once again, we get an ignorant response that isn't needed. The TTop ABS headliner doesn't fit well at all in the ttop area. This has been shown many times and proven, not as a purists view, but fact. If I could buy a pre built ABS headliner that fit well, I'd buy it! End of story. All some of us ask for is that replacement parts fit properly, or are manufactured to a quality standard.

In this same exact subject, just this week, I asked CPC Norwood for his opinion on the ABS headliner for the Ttop cars, since he just restored the last Norwood IROC-Z. This was a pic he sent me and his comments were that it sucks!!

Attached Thumbnails ABS headliner-img_4187.jpg  
Old 12-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
And once again, we get an ignorant response that isn't needed. The TTop ABS headliner doesn't fit well at all in the ttop area. This has been shown many times and proven, not as a purists view, but fact. If I could buy a pre built ABS headliner that fit well, I'd buy it! End of story. All some of us ask for is that replacement parts fit properly, or are manufactured to a quality standard.

In this same exact subject, just this week, I asked CPC Norwood for his opinion on the ABS headliner for the Ttop cars, since he just restored the last Norwood IROC-Z. This was a pic he sent me and his comments were that it sucks!!

easily covered by the product I suggested.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:58 AM

I would agree that the product you suggested would hide that edge. Now, from the purists side, as some people just don't seem to understand, is that the edging isn't correct for a restoration or if you're trying to maintain the original look. If you don't care about the original look, then by all means, go for it. It will "fix" the shortcoming of the ABS unit and can look great.

A low mile original car, or a car being restored to original specs, the edging just doesn't cut it, so getting the original board recovered may be the only option.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 PM
On Probation

AGAIN the purists and naysayers are doing the "pile on" AGAIN since I (and others)
posted my pics and experiences with MY t-top ABS installation a YEAR or so ago
REHASHING the defects and shortcomings in THE ONLY replacements that are
available TODAY!

Lets hear the old "fix the existing headliner" rote AGAIN !
I sure get a kick outta that one along with "take it to the upholstry shop" !

Should I post another pic of my bare ceiling again too?

Last edited by sonjaab; 12-17-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

Sonjaab, I find it hard to understand your frustration.
The only point I’ve been trying to make is that there IS an option to the abs headliner:
Recovering and repairing the old one!
If you don’t have an original to fix, ok, now your only option is the abs. Still seems helpful to know where it falls short.
My point is that if you have an original, you will probably be better off restoring it.
We have this discussion about almost every repro part for our cars, why does this discussion bother you so much?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

Amazing how Sonjaab picked up right where he left off. Give it up already.

Last edited by 82tarecaro; 12-17-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:53 PM
On Probation

The shortcomings to the ABS liners have been BEAT TO DEATH again and
again in MANY posts by you purists and keep it original zealots and just the
mention of using the ABS units bring u zealots outta the woodwork.

Of course YOU and the other zealots glossed over my original posting in
this thread and others posting MY experience in installing the ABS unit
just to bag on the ABS units shortcomings and what fools folks are to buy one!
It sure gets OLD...........

I suppose this is better:

Frustration? Gee whats that?

Last edited by sonjaab; 12-17-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

Originally Posted by sonjaab
The shortcomings to the ABS liners have been BEAT TO DEATH again and
again in MANY posts by you purists and keep it original zealots and just the
mention of using the ABS units bring u zealots outta the woodwork.

Of course YOU and the other zealots glossed over my original posting in
this thread and others posting MY experience in installing the ABS unit
just to bag on the ABS units shortcomings and what fools folks are to buy one!
It sure gets OLD...........

I suppose this is better:

Frustration? Gee whats that?
It's probably getting old because you won't let it die. Everbody has differing opinions. I think the abs sucks. You love it. Case closed.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:17 PM

And if you'll notice, the "purists" did not bring this up to keep bothering you. Unlike sonjaab, I have better things to do than bicker with people online. If you like the ABS unit, good for you. But, if someone asks for an opinion, please do NOT try to silence me as that crap doesn't float with me. If you want some "safe space", then go to a local college where I'm sure everyone will agree with you, to your face. Formula00ra brought this up and asked for clarification. Your responses were unnecessary.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
It seems the T-top crowd is very unhappy with the ABS headliner while the hardtop guys are very happy. Probably worthwhile to make that clarification for people that are shopping for headliners.
I was under the impression that's it's the opposite. That the T-top headliners for the mart part are OK. But the hardtop headliners suck. I've looked at T-top replacements and they fit much like stock. My headliner (hardtop) on the other hand, bows at the front to the point that it's resting on top of the rear view mirror. The fact that the carpet started falling down after a few weeks as opposed to 20+ years like the stock one shows me that they are apparently putting "post it note" glue on these replacement hardtop headliners.

So yeah, count me in on the fix the original headliner if at all possible. I'm not a purist. If the headliner has a bit of carpet not covering the edges around the door areas (like my replacement), well I've got a black interior with black headliner carpet. I rarely look in the corners. But the sagging above the mirror and lousy glue puts me in the camp of this stuff is garbage.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

I replaced my t-top headliner 20 years ago. The original "cardboard" backer crumbled due to leaking t-tops. I was able to find a FIBERGLASS replacement for $100 from California, but it cost $200 to ship it to Connecticut. I had an upholstery shop fit the new material and I installed it. I had no fitment issues and I love the fact that it is fiberglass. Because when, not if, the t-tops leak, the fiberglass will not be destroyed. I would rather the car not have t-tops at all, but that is my preference.
I have never taken the t-tops out since.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 90-95 ZZ4 Crate 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 4spd Automatic

I can't stand mine. I have a burgundy one I bought from Car and Truck. First one didn't fit worth nothing. Second one is in but I absolutely hate the fit around the center structure. The fit on the rear is too rigid...it leaves gaps to the point that I wont take my T-Tops off. I would like to use this as a template and have a fabric one made with some healthy foam and be able to either glue the material on the center beam or at least vel-cro it on...thoughts??? know of any good upholstery shops that make these???
Old 07-28-2018, 07:08 PM

The biggest thing when changing the headliner with a like original is changing out the seals...I have been absolutely lucky with mine...my car is from Washington state. weather is pretty nice there and here in Utah I keep it garaged a lot of the time except for shows. I use a rag with just small bit of Vaseline....it keeps the seals moist...
Old 07-28-2018, 07:12 PM

Oh crap...I just read the first one...sorry, I will shut up right away...and deal with what I have...sorry members
Old 07-28-2018, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Just cleaning and lubricating weatherstripping once a year or so does wonders. A silicone grease will let the glass slide easier against the rubber, so it reduces squeeks and rattles, letting the top move if it needs to. Also the silicone repells water, so the rubber seals better. It permeates the rubber also which helps keep it from drying out, and prolongs it's life.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 91 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 V8 TPI
Transmission: 4 speed automatic

​​​​I just installed the ABS headliner for hard top (beechwood color) I got from Hawks Motorsports. I had no issues with fitment. It hangs just a tad down in the center at windshield (because the ABS board doesn't use the clips at the front of the headliner like the OEM one does) but it's barely noticeable. Like half inch. I'll update over time if anything changes with the quality of this board over time, but so far so good.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 91 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 V8 TPI
Transmission: 4 speed automatic

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
It seems the T-top crowd is very unhappy with the ABS headliner while the hardtop guys are very happy. Probably worthwhile to make that clarification for people that are shopping for headliners.
I am another vote for the hardtop folks who is happy with the results of my ABS headliner. No issues with fitment. I bought the one from Hawks with the headliner, sail panels, and sun visors. In the front center at the windshield, the board hangs down very slightly, like maybe 2 cm from the frame. But I think that's expected because the ABS headliner does not use the oem clips for the headliner at the front of the car. But it's barely noticeable honestly, you have to be looking for it. I can send pictures to anyone who's curious about how it came out.
​​