Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

A-pillar trim removal-safest way possible, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
A-pillar trim removal-safest way possible, Help!

Ok i cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the A pillar trim off safely, i tried taking it off the way people stated in other threads but one of the clips was starting to break and i started to freak out and stopped. Does anyone have pics of how to safely do this, or at least a very in depth walk through of how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: A-pillar trim removal-safest way possible, Help!

No one told you about the secret handshake?

J/K. This is one of those things that there isn't really a right and wrong way to do it. I'd pull the B-pillar cover first, one small phillips screw at the bottom, then wiggle and jiggle while you pull, it should come off pretty easily. Very easily if someone has had it off before, since most people never put the plastic push pin back together right.

Then, you can do something similar to the A-pillar trim. The catch is that the clips GM used are fragile. Plan on breaking at least a few of them, if not all of them. You'll need 10 to put the trim back on, if you haven't already, go ahead and order new ones. The other tricky part is that the trim is almost as fragile as the clips. Sometimes you can wiggle and shake the trim around until it works off the clips. If someone has had them off before, sometimes the part that snaps around the clips will have been damaged. Normally it's a 0 shape, and it's not uncommon for the front or back of the 0 to be cracked out so it's a U shape. In that case, you can slide the trim towards the front of the car to unhook two of the clips from the trim, then to the rear to unhook the others, and the clips will stay in the roof.

On the upside, the part that will probably break is on the back side of the trim. It's easy enough to figure out a way to make a clip stay in place, if it comes down to it.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

If I remember correctly, you slide it up and off.
So it should slide a little towards the rear and drop down.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Drew, thanks for the response. Lol i wish there was a secret handshake to get them off! I really don't want to snap any of the clips and its a damn shame this design is so shitty.

Ron, it does slide towards the rear a little but won't drop down, it's being a pain in the ***!!!
Old 08-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Check out this short video. =

It appears to show the clip sliding within its holder when you pull it backwards.

Try putting a flat head screw driver on the rear of the clip from the side and prevent it from sliding backwards when you move the pillar.

I would start at the rear and work forward on the car one clip at a time.

When you have a chance take a look at the clips in the "Help"" section at your local "O'Reillys" or "Autozone". I think those clips might be there if you break any.

Most of the parts on my car came from "Pick N Pull" so the cars there are in various states of a "dismantled" condition.

Its easier to dissect some of the techniques necessary for installation and removal.
It just been a long time since I have had to do it.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 08-26-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the video clip man, These clips are for sure the dumbest design i've ever dealt with.