Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

3rd gen camaro complete dash reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen camaro complete dash reinstall

So I made a boo boo a few years ago when I had decided to do an ac delete and was trying to remove a mounting bolt that was spinning in place.
Instead of just cutting it off, I started to take apart the dash board and dash facing. Not thinking that it would be this long and "in depth" I never took photos or video of how to put it back together. So now I'm in a pickle. I've searched the interweba and my Hanes manual and the manual I found here on third gen but nothing has come up.

A complete scimattic or any pics would be greatly appreciated.
Screw types and where they go, how the ac unit couple back together gauge & tac mounting screws etc.
brake peddle installation.

I will add more details later when they come to mind.
and pics of my current progress from what little references I have found.

thanks all

Last edited by mwbird8183; 09-18-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Updating
Old 09-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: 3rd gen camaro complete dash reinstall

You'll have to scrounge on here for any of that. I have a Firebird, but some of this may be the same.
I took my dash out, actually everything that comes off the car was, and put it back in. There are 2 M8 screws with 10mm(could be 13mm though)? heads at the top near the A pillars, 2 mirrored under the dash at the bottom in the same location. Then there are 5-8? screws that go through the front of the dash into the cowl area under the windshield with 7mm heads. I think it was 2 at each speaker location, and then 3 or 4 in the middle across the area in-between. The AC stuff is pretty easy there are a few screws into the bottom of the box that screw into the firewall, and then I think 3 screws on the outside and one nut that hold the outer box on, but also hold the inside box tight to the firewall. Those screws are maybe 1.5" long, course thread and have two "depth" thread with 10mm head
Brake pedal is held on by the 4 studs from the brake booster at the firewall, then there is one M8 screw with a 13mm head that screws into the bottom of the cowl area to support the front of the pedal. Just put all the fasteners hand tight, but backed off 1/2 turn until you have all the screws in, then tighten so everything lines up properly. Honestly, that's a good rule of thumb when you're assembling anything.

Can't help with anything else since I know the Camaro is different on the dash. All the fasteners should be either 7mm, 10mm or 13mm heads, most of the dash stuff is screws into plastic, so they are a course thread, akin to a wood screw. There are SOME 10mm and 7mm machine screws, those would be used when a screw is going into metal. If you need help, post pictures of the areas in question