Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fiberglass Dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro
Fiberglass Dash

I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I raced a dirt modified in the past and have retired from that sport. My new project is working on converting a 92' Camaro in a street legal track car. Plan on racing local SCCA Solo events and taking it to the road course on play dates. I'm trying to remove as much weight as possible. I'm looking to replace the heavy stock dash. I'm not going to have radio, heat or A/C. May add in defrost later. Replacing stock steering column with a race style collapsible column.

Option 1: I was looking into buying a VFN fiberglass dash. Has anyone ever installed one? Can't find any pictures on here of a installation.
Option 2: Has anyone made a mold and fabricated their own fiberglass dash?
Option 3: Fab it out of aluminum which I would rather not do. Would like the interior some what stock looking. (Trim, Carpet, etc.)

Anyone have any pictures or suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: Fiberglass Dash

Fiberglass dash will probably weigh more than a stock one. Most of the weight in the dash is the wiring in there and the dash pad. The stock carrier is plastic with a few small metal reinforcements. If you get rid of the wiring you could probably remove the plastic reinforcements and all the vents and it would only be a few pounds.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: TH350
Re: Fiberglass Dash

Yeah, dash and dash pad are pretty light. We're still sporting them in our C Prepared Firebird. We did replace the panels on the console with some CF panels, but honestly, I don't think we saved much weight. We did it mostly for looks.

I'm assuming you'll be running in C Prepared, or one of the CAM classes? If not, you'll need to verify even your interior mods will be allowed in the class you want to compete in. The rules can get pretty stupid, and get you bounced to a higher-prep class for silly little things. If you are just running for grins, that's cool.