Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Corbeau A4 Racing Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula T-Top
Engine: 350 TPI + some bits
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Corbeau A4 Racing Seats

After my recent track laps where I had a death grip on the steering wheel to avoid sliding out of my worn seat I decided it was time for an upgrade.

After some research, I settled on the above seats in the middle-grade microfiber with leather parts. I ordered lumbar support for both, a shaved seat and a double locking bracket for the DS seat. I am a tall guy and with my helmet and the with the stock smooshed seats I still have to remove a T-top for my pumpkin to avoid banging the roof.

The front bottom of both seats is not what the website shows, it's more of a Frankenstein of stitching and weird contours. I almost returned the seats thinking this is bad workmanship, but I was assured by Corbeau that replacement seats would look the same. It's the nature of the microfiber they say. Once in the car you really can't tell anyways. The rest of the seat is really nice. Some creases in the bolsters worked themselves out after a couple days being out of the box. I would like to black out the white lettering, I'm not a fan of advertising names unless they want to pay me sponsorship (!)

The brackets are way tall compared to my stock seat brackets, you can see the legs on the bracket. Compared to my stock brackets with basically flat horizontal legs. I'm pretty sure these seats, even with the shaved DS seat, is higher than the stock seat. It's just that my stock seat is 28 years old and smooshed pretty flat so it's hard to tell exactly.

The other consideration with these seats is that they are narrow! I am a 34" waist, and like the website says these really are for a 34 incher max. I'm 6'3" and 175 lb so upper body wise is also snug but right for me. They make a 1" wider seat that I suggest for anyone not thin.

So I put a couple 2x4 pieces flat on the floor and just the seat on it and that is the max height I can take and not hit my helmet on the T-top. So I have to cut the seat legs and re-weld them flat in order to keep the slider in place.

HTH someone in their seat upgrade planning.

PS Summit has a same as cash financing for one year. Just make sure you pay it off cuz interest is 30%!
Attached Thumbnails Corbeau A4 Racing Seats-corbeau.jpg  
Old 04-25-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Vortec Stealth Rammed L98
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Corbeau A4 Racing Seats

I would love to see pictures of them installed. Pictures of the modified brackets when you get them done would also be interesting. I've done some autocross and one track day and I know the feeling of about sliding out of the seat. I seriously need to get something similar to what you have.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:19 PM

Will do.

I've read elsewhere that the seat choice depends to some extent on how long you will be sitting in them. I could sit in the old seat for a 3 hour highway drive comfortably but these being narrower and stiffer I'm not so sure. I decided track use is more important than long term comfort.

I think I'll probably junk my old black seats unless someone wants the covers off them which are a couple years old but very lightly used. Maybe the tracks are saveable but a bit rusty.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:43 PM

Here's the lowered bracket. I also could not use the slide mechanism, my head would just barely hit the T-top with the helmet on if I used it.

Raced with it this weekend, huge improvement. Will post more after the rain stops.