LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

where to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: LO3 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 Speed
where to start

Ok its time to start pulling my LS1 out of my 2000 camaro where do i even start? also what are your best suggestions for the wiring, since i will be doing a 4th dash swap does this effect how i would do the wiring? but also where to start takin crap off from the engine bay and where to place the chains from the hoist to get the engine lifted?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Ace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 quasar gta
Engine: Nothing
Transmission: Nothing
Axle/Gears: 4.11s
depends how you want to get the engine out.. easiest is takin the whole k-member out of the car with the wheels and front suspension.. engine.. tranny.. wiring.. 6 bolts on the front and then just lift the whole front end up and pull it out the front

theres a main connection under the driver side dash.. after that slide that out into the engine bay.. the other connection is on the passenger side.. 3 connectors that go to the dash

theres another main wiring distribution on the front fender of the driver side.. bunch of relays and wiring for the lights.. ignition and fans and other stuff... all the wiring for the dash will come out complete to a junction in the headlights and all speaker hook ups

also theres a cruise box under that distribution box.. get that as well..

its hard to explain, you just have to roll with it depending on what you want to do...

heres kinda a break down.. gettin everything out is pretty staight forward... just keep it organized and what plugs into what for later..

are you going with a/c or just heat and what not? I didnt.. so if you go with a/c it will require more fab work

mine was also firebird but the camaro should be easier.. no pop up lights.. switches in the doors

start with takin out the third gen interior.. all I kept was the front wires for the head lights, fogs, turn signals and power antenna.. rear wiring for the hatch pop up, defrost and rear lights

take out the third gen box... now from the 4th gen heater box there will be a pack of resistors.. take that out and mount it in 3rd gen box, this is the blower resistor controls from low to high.. you can try and fab up something for the hot/cold controller.. since i will only change it once a year i just left it tucked under the dash as i couldnt figure the **** out yet.. heard something about an s10 cable but no luck

you will also have to take off the 4th gen hvac vac lines from the box and put them on the 3rd gen box.. the colors are on the dash swap page... dont have them off hand.. pretty easy

before you get the dash in you will have to take off the rear plastic peice that joins up to the heater box.. you'll have to make it look like the 3rd gen dash by cutting it at an angle.. it should make up to the airbox then.. trial and error til ya get it right... make sure to wear coverin googles as i had just sheilds and it came up under the glasses and nailed me in the eye and i was blind in the eye for awhile.. burnin plastic hurts

throw the airbox in and attach the plastic peice to the dash again

here's a little trick i learned after puttin the dash in.. you can break the door wiring from the main distribution and wire that up so do that now as its a major bitch getting the wires in the door after the dash is in..

to get the dash in (its a heavy awkward bitch so bring help) you will have to chop a couple brackets.. a dremel makes quick work out of them.. trial and error.. a couple holes will line up.. get the scews in and then drill out the other ones and put screws in there.. dash should be semi solid now.. i used some wire to hold up the sides to make it solid..

i then put the engine in.. dropped it in with the 6 speed tranny with a cherry picker.. make sure to take the washer motor off..
its pretty straight forward... after that i jacked the tranny without the shifter on but all taped up till it compressed a bit on the tunnel.. mine was an auto so i cut the auto mounting points off and then cut a hole for the tranny.. put the shifter on and then the black covering boot..

i then mounted the air bag sensor just behind the shifter where there room...

take out the seats.. and the side trim..

i then fanned out the wires.. with the rear wires going along the driver side.. power wires for the seat go to the seats.. air bag sensors and what not to the center console.. i used the 4th gen tank and wiring so i brough it back there and bolted it in where the 3rd gen fuel connection block was rivited on in the center of the rear seat..

i also used the 4th gen wiring for the rear speakers and mounted the moonsoon amp in the back where the spare tire was.. sensor just on the side there.. the keyless 4th gen system works on mine still

the switches you are on ur own.. i wired 3rd gen window switches in and used the power mirror from the 4th gen after extending the wires under the column to extend them to the center console.. then mounted them in a plate i made where the ash tray goes.. works good

for the column i used the 4th gen one.. it however is 90 degrees out compared to the 3rd gen one and much much longer.. i took off the rag joint and rotated that shaft 90 degrees so now it works.. it wont work with the hawks LT's tho.. it also only lets you get the wioers going on high or low.. no delay..

what i need to do is take apart a 3rd gen and a 4th gen console.. using the wiper control circuit from the 3rd gen in place of the 4th gen.. and also either cutting and welding the end shaft or putting the 3rd gen one on the 4th gen column so the orientation is correct.. or just live with one/two speed wipers..

i then spliced the wires for the headlights and tail lights.. ran a couple wires for the power antenna as ours is in the front not the back.. connected all the grounds... ran a wire for the blower motor and thats about it

mounted the cruiuse control on the drive side where the batt was.. couple bolts.. then i removed the wiper resoivor.. stole the smaller one from my van.. mounted it in the corner there and then fashioned a couple mounts for the 4th gen distribution power box to mount in that corner.. it wouldnt fit with the wiper res there...

took the three connections and got them thru the hole where it goes to thru the front by the rad.. then the other side where the battery is.. down to where i have the ecm

i wasnt going to run any hvac but added it at the last minute just for defrost and what not.. so i needed a new spot for the ecm.. i mounted it to the frame rail right beside the pass side manifold using the stock ecm holder just cut the wings off it and mounted it to the rail with two bolts on the bottom of it.. Ill make an alum box holder later.. i dont know where you would even go with the ecm if you didnt go this route.. you would have to cut a hole in the firewall and get a 750$ harness from painless

as you can see it doesnt simplify anything going with a 4th gen dash.. major ****in PITA in my opinion and I wish I woulda stayed with the 3rd gen and just spliced it neatly together or got a conversion harness.. better yet.. bought a fawkin 4th gen with an ls1 ;(

theres alot im missing tho.. if u have msn hit me up with any questions ya got : iroc_z_s@hotmail.com
Old 08-30-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: LO3 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 Speed
so you used the entire 4th gen wiring harness not just the engine harness?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
You don't have to use the entire 4th gen harness, all you really need is the engine harness and that's it.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Ace

Car: 92 quasar gta
Engine: Nothing
Transmission: Nothing
Axle/Gears: 4.11s
yes i used the entire 4th gen wiring harness..

sure all you need is the 4th gen engine harness but he wants the dash as well.. id like to see you work that **** with a 3rd gen harness cut into a 4th gen engine harness.. rather then all the plugs going together like stock

just like youd have to tie the 4th gen dash into a 3rd gen harness if you put the dash in the car with a tpi engine

there's alot of variables..
Old 09-05-2005, 02:14 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: Ellis Juan
Transmission: t-56
well i would think if u just took all the wring for the dash and motor that you would have a 4th gen in a third gens body.. jus make sure the wires will all reach where htey have to go.