LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Autometer Speedo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: LT1 SD Mode 30lb/hr
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Autometer Speedo Problems

I have a 84 Camaro with 95 LT1/T56 95 Camaro ECM.
I swapped the instrument panel out for a Covan’s Classic set, and opted for the carbon fiber gauges. Because of the engine/tranny swap I am using the electrical speedo. I have the vss signal coming from the transmission into the ecm and out on the green signal wire into the gauge.

Anyone who has seen one of these electrical speedo’s will know they go through a “boot up” process when power is applied. The needle will go to 80mph pause, display what I assume to be the calibration factor ,and then drop to zero and display mileage.
The problem I am having is the speedo will hang at ˝ needle or drop to zero and not read if I don’t have the motor started before the “boot up” process begins. I called Autometer about this problem they informed me to install a Bosch #30 relay between key on power, power to the gauge, and the starter solenoid wire. This just feels like a work around not a real solution is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Also in the cold mornings the speed stops working, I have to get half way to work then magically it starts working. Any thoughts on this, the only difference I can think of is temp, could the stock vss sender be going bad?
Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: LT1 SD Mode 30lb/hr
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Autometer Speedo Problems

Does anyone even have an autometer electronic speedo?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '88 Camaro
Engine: LS3
Transmission: Mag F
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.11
Re: Autometer Speedo Problems

i have the speedo.

You have to calibrate the speedo right out of the box. the going up to 80 and going back to zero happens whether its calibrated or not.

Your sender should work just fine if its the stock vss. i called autometer yesterday about it, and said you would have to calibrate it

heres the steps

Calibration (Electronic Speedometer calibration made
To calibrate your electronic speedometer:
1) With the power off, push and hold the calibration button (trip/reset button when equipped).
pointer sweeps to full scale and stays at full scale. You may now release the button.
2) Drive to the beginning of a pre-marked 2 mile distance and come to a stop. It does not matter
engine off. Push and release the button. The pointer will drop to half scale.
3) Drive the 2 mile distance. The pointer will remain at the half scale mark no matter what speed
see it counting rapidly as it is receiving a speed signal. If you have to stop during the calibration,
4) At the end of the 2 mile distance, come to a complete stop and push and release the button.
Remember the accuracy of your 2 mile distance will directly affect the accuracy of your speedometer.
The following list contains factors that can affect speedometer accuracy and how to minimize
1. Tire diameter increases slightly as vehicle speed increases. To minimize this error drive
2. Tire diameter increases slightly as tire air pressure is increases. To minimize this error,
3. Tire diameter changes with vehicle load. Minimize this error by having an average load
4. Minimize tire slippage error by not breaking traction during calibration.
Note: Always recalibrate speedometer after any tire size or differential ratio change.