LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LT1 , stalling problem, random

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350 LT1
Transmission: T56
LT1 , stalling problem, random

Had my LT1 in for a couple years now, works great. After this winter I've been having a bit of trouble, I'm trying to gather a list of "what to checks"
-Randomly stalls, idling in the garage, driving down the road, at speed on the highway. Doesn't matter if it's warmed up or not. When it stalls the tach drops to 0. I can key to restart or just pop the clutch and I'm good to go. It doesn't do anything weird, just dies and starts again.
So far all I've done was suspect gas which was 91 octane and had stabilizer in it. I topped off the tank added some good injector/fuel system cleaner/lubricant and drove it. Same thing (didn't expect it to fix anything) ... I figured maybe driving it would kill off the winter gremlins but it didn't. Next thing I did was buy a bottle of stuff to get rid of the water in the tank if there was any (never had trouble with fuel before, car is in garage for the winters) .. I have yet to try it.
Just looking for a list of things that it could and couldn't be.. Hoping the Opti makes it to the list of couldn't be's ... it is a '96 motor on OBD1 and it's a vented opti.

Thanks..
Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: LT1 , stalling problem, random

Try checking fuel pressure, if it goes to zero or really low, start suspecting the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or look for leaks.

Check if there is any coolant dripping on the opti from the water pump.

How often does it die randomly? Like maybe drive it for 20 minutes and it won't die? Or is it about 2-3 minutes after every time you start up the engine?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350 LT1
Transmission: T56
Re: LT1 , stalling problem, random

I thought about fuel pressure.. I will investigate that.. There was coolant dripping onto the opti as I replaced the upper rad hose not too long ago and it wasn't a perfect no drip process. I suspected maybe the coolant was foulting something up in there so I checked it a few times and no coolant is getting in there now..
As for when it dies.. It is completely random. In fact, the last time I had it out, it didn't stall at all but was only a 20min trip.
I haven't actually looked at the wiring or anything in any detail yet, I've been so busy with other stuff and a little ticked at the whole thing as well.
If the opti does end up being the problem, I have the solution. I have a Megasquirt EFI unit ready to deploy, however I have been contemplating selling the car so I have been holding back. If I go Megasquirt, I will go with coil packs and delete the Opti.
It's frustrating, all is fine until it stalls. I wish it would die so I could find the problem. lol