LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

What do you all think of this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56
What do you all think of this?

Im sure everyone in here has read the LS1 swap sticky by now but in case you havent please do so by clicking here

Now get a load of this "article" for GMhightech.

Very VERY SIMILAR article

Discuss
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 LS6/T56/9"
Engine: LS6
Axle/Gears: Currie 9"/4.11, detroit truetrac
Re: What do you all think of this?

The author obviously ripped off our sticky! At least credit this site!

One thing I dislike about articles like this is when they opt to buy the most expensive, bolt-on, no-fuss options and never tell you what they cost. A newbie reading that would think "Wow, I can do that." Until that newb realizes those parts are gonna cost him thousands on their own!

IMHO, magazines should be detailing how to actually 'hot-rod,' use your skills, save your money, educate yourself, do you own work, and put some real effort into your project. Not just shell out some cash for something you could have done yourself. With the amount of info on this site alone, there's no excuse.

A few examples I can think of are the wiring harness, modding your k-member, making a trans crossmember.......ect.

Bolt-on, mail order parts are killing our craft. They're awesome and the companies that make them are great, but people reading those magazines are DIY people and want to see real work that they can do. Just my $.02

Back to the article..........Only beef is that they didn't mention the Vette filter. Otherwise it's awesome to see our cars being recognized!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Plagiarism is a major nono in publishing. The guy didnt even bother to coin a new name for the article! I bet his boss wouldnt be too happy to see this.....
Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by cam-
Plagiarism is a major nono in publishing. The guy didnt even bother to coin a new name for the article! I bet his boss wouldnt be too happy to see this.....
Its only plagerism if you COPY it. I fail to really even see "very very similar". This isnt the same and he obviously didnt copy it since some information is different or left out
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

I didnt ask for fan boys. I asked for discuss. Anyone else?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by cam-
I didnt ask for fan boys. I asked for discuss. Anyone else?
Fan boy? I dont support the publication in any way.

Is a discussion not a collective of OPINIONS? My opinion is that it is not similar. It is quite different. My opinion is that you are seeing something that is not there. I see many differences in the way it is presented, and the information that it contains. Where is the discussion your YOUR end? You chose to just attack the person that took the time to write the article, put in pictures with captions and do some research.

Also there is no "coin" for the article, even that is different that what is listed here. Are you an idiot? What was the guy supposed to call it?
LS1 into a third gen Swap Guide <- Here
LS1 Engine Swap - Third-Gen LS1 Swap Guide - Tech <-Article

Last edited by scooter; 09-14-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Oh, I see it now. You are pissed because someone else had the foresight to write an article and actually have it published, and you got no credit at all because you are a nobody
Old 09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

I didnt mean to infer you were a fanboy of the publication or myself I actually appreciate your candor in not being such and my comments were merely intended to generate more discussion on this topic. Issues like this can quickly sidetrack with personal attacks or polarization of perspective which i would prefer to avoid and simply find out what others think about this instance and stick to the subject at hand which simply is. What do you guys think of this article? A lot of hours and hard work went into penning that sticky and the content speaks volumes on its own.

Regarding the "plagiarism" issue while I agree its not so copied of an article that a bot net "checker" will find too much issue with it but I can assure you that should this matter be something more concerning to me and efforts of legal position were played its not something you, or I can decide on what plagiarism means in this instance it would be up to the courts and if I was a betting man? I wouldnt bet on originality of his article if my career stood in the balance and thats all Im saying.

This issue sits solely on one position as I see it. Integrity and responsibility of the editor and author of that article. For a publication to be legally distributed they have a pile of jargon on the back side of that work so they can distribute through the channels provided for them. There is a code of conduct and ethics in there too I can assure you of that and in cases where a single source is utilized for credit of content then credit is given where credit is due or it can open pandoras box.

At least thats how its "supposed" to work.

So what do we have here? Well it simply seems to me that the guy was either not knowledgeable enough to pen his own article on what it takes to swap an LS1 into a third gen, or he was simply too lazy to bother trying and cut and pasted our sticky with a couple of quick edits.

In the end the articles speak for themselves but I would like to hear what some of you other members have to say about it. Think this article is legit? Think there is some credit missing? Think the board should get a piece of the income generated?

Discuss. Ideas, suggestions, opinions welcome.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM

Income - no. Credit - sure!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Thats what Im thinking. Credit at bare minimum. Footnotes and endnotes didnt disappear with the invention of the "internets"....
Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1967 Firebird P.T.
Engine: LS3 4" Strkr 422ci
Transmission: MN12 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 8.5" 10 Bolt Eaton

yeah i dont like the whole no-fuss parts in there either... sure, they are all great parts to use, but it would have been nice to see a part VS part type of comparison for people on a budget, especially since alot of the younger generation buys 3rd gens due to their budgets and cannot afford a $500 fuel reg./ext.pump as an example (or however much it costs)
Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 88FormulaKiller
yeah i dont like the whole no-fuss parts in there either... sure, they are all great parts to use, but it would have been nice to see a part VS part type of comparison for people on a budget, especially since alot of the younger generation buys 3rd gens due to their budgets and cannot afford a $500 fuel reg./ext.pump as an example (or however much it costs)
Especially when I've seen the vette filter on ebay for $15.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 TA, 91 B4C
Engine: 5.3, 4.8
Transmission: 4L80 4000, T56
Axle/Gears: 4.30 M12, 23.42 10 bolt

Vette filter I got from Oreilly was 20$. No waiting on shipping.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scooter
Oh, I see it now. You are pissed because someone else had the foresight to write an article and actually have it published, and you got no credit at all because you are a nobody
Well seeing as this is going to sleep im going to reply to this^ Your DAMN RIGHT im nobody... The nobody who got published in GMhightech bitach.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

five7 lock this up pls. Im done with it
Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

^^^^