LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS1 swap/air conditioning question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 formula 350
Engine: ls1 magnuson tvs2300 supercharger
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.11 Dana 44!
LS1 swap/air conditioning question

I have a reman AC compressor from a 4thgen camaro. Im using f body brackets, did the k member notch, and have hawks ac lines.

My stock condenser has seen better days.

Central Auto Air now makes an AC upgrade to a sanden style compressor and parallel flow (I think thats what its caled) condenser.

Should I use a factory style replacement condenser or is one of these parellel flow really better? I'm not using R12 or r134 its one of those freon blends. I forget what its called off hand but I can find my extra can if needed.

CAA said the LS1 style compressor is a variable speed compressor and will NOT work with the parallel flow condenser but he couldn't tell me WHY. Any ideas?w

I'm just trying to figure out some of the last details of my swap and your help is appreciated!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: LS1 swap/air conditioning question

Vintage Air has a rundown that is worth reading. Nose around their site. Amid the chatter about their products is stuff that can apply to our cars.
Between their site, and talking with some folks, I came away with; if you use a new type compressor, LS1 included, you want a parallel flow condenser. 3rd Gen Evaporator and Dryer are OK, a will work fine in a system.
Hope this is true. About to find out as the time has come, to get my A/C working.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I am using my a\c now but in Texas in the summer it can't keep up
I am thinking of tearing it all out and trying to fit a vintage air kit .the main trouble is not enough air out of the fan it seems week
Has anyone tried this for a 92 rs
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

My heater, vent and fan are working. I am not getting a whole lot of air from the fan, either. Mine is an 83, and I have had it since late 86. I don't remember it being a problem back in the late 80s. A/C was working fine then. Are the fans tired???
Think I will get one.
Vintage Air stuff good, BUT a whole system. I think their main market is deep pocket hot rod types.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Car: 92 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73

That deep pocket line is tru but I do like the stepper motors rather than vacume
I have a new fan I will put it in tonight and see if I get more air.
I want to put a march billet serpentine system on my motor and that has a diff. Type a\c compressor so I am not sure the factory unit will work any more
Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Car: 1990 RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 9 bolt

Mine works fine with the stock replacement 3rd gen condenser, Hawks lines, and the factory LS F-body compressor. Last summer we were seeing temps over 100 degrees and it kept everything nice and cool. I also have ebony leather so it does take a few minutes to get the car cool, but once it is cool its great. The only complaint I have is the blower motor could move a little more air around to cool it quicker, but not a big issue.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Though I dont have a/c in this car..ive found on my last t/a that when I had my dash apart doing some install i cant remember of what.But I took time to service my vents/ducting and the blower motor as i felt it didnt move/force much air out.I was surprised how much crap get in the blower motor from over the years even with the inlet screens intact.I resealed everything I could,including putting new strips if foam tape for the vents that interconnect across the dash.This made an improvement.I find that leaks of air pressure when switching between modes like defog/vent etc as the the things dont cut off passages like they used to and this is where you still feel floor vents moving air when you only have the dash vents on and the blower motor is on high.