LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

repin pocket harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
repin pocket harness

Early into my LS swap project, I tried to buy a harness from Pocket. He's usually busy, and I could never catch him at the right time. Eventually, I moved on and bought a Speartech harness for my 58x engine. Last week, a member listed his unused 1989 pocket harness on ebay. I bought it before the opportunity was gone. So now I'm dithering on whether to continue with the Speartech harness or repin the pocket harness. If I use the pocket harness, I'll obviously need to buy a lingenfelter converter box. I have a 1984 Trans Am. How hard would it be to repin the pocket harness to work with my car?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans am
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: C4 IRS 3.42
Re: repin pocket harness

First thing, what gen engine you going to use ? 24x or 58x ? What PCM, Cable or electro throttle body ?

EDIT:
I see from you other posts you have a Gen4 58x engine. Presumably the harness you are talking about repinning is a Gen3 ? Thats a big change. Not just a repin. Are you wanting to keep the DBW part ?. Would have to tear apart the whole harness to do it right. And that just the engine side of the harness; Making it fit your C100 is another job.

At this point you might consider aftermarket ECU. Most of them are adaptable to 24x or 58x with just a software setting and possibly a small hardware change. You could have the 58X engine and a DBC throttle body no problem, Something no stock PCM offers.

You could cut off the stock PCM connectors (Ouch!) and put the aftermarket ECU ones on.

Last edited by 88Greg; 02-14-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 02-14-2017, 01:07 PM

Yes - I already went through all options for ECU. I have a DBW throttle body and a cable one. To get the pocket harness to work, I would first need to get a lingenfelter 58x to 24x signal converter. Then I would need to address the C100/C207 differences between 84 and 89 model. I'll probably stay the course with my speartech harness.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans am
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: C4 IRS 3.42

What are your plans for the engine ? You going to tune it yourself ?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:07 PM

So far, I'm proceeding with my original plan to use an ECM from a 2010 Camaro and the 58X harness. I got the ECM programmed by a shop called Hot Rod Therapy. The guy there was very helpful, and he tuned the ECM based on my engine specs. The pocket harness will be a back-up in case I have any trouble using the 58X set-up. It's certainly more complicated than the 24X. The ECM, DBW throttle body, and the electric pedal have to match. It won't control the A/C compressor, and it's difficult to get gauge signals from it. That's why I kept my mechanical speedometer and added a cable connection to the T56.