LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

89 z28 just bought for a project, looking where I should start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 z28 just bought for a project, looking where I should start?

Hey all I just bought a 89' z28 as a roller. The car was pretty much stripped down to nothing, no motor transmission drive shaft and most of electrical is cut or gone. I plan on doing all the body work then paint and move on to the interior. I'm set on Ls swapping it along with a 4l60e. one of my many questions is what should I do about harness's, the interior/dash harness looks pretty chopped up and I'd hate to finish the interior then have to go back and change things because I didn't have the correct harness. I just want it to be all set so when I get to doing the swap that iv got the correct harness inside and out. Sorry this post seems kind of scattered, I'm just trying to plan ahead. Thanks for any and all input it is greatly appreciated
Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT
Re: 89 z28 just bought for a project, looking where I should start?

I recommend you make a Novena.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:20 AM

Car: 89 Z28
Engine: tbi 305

Hey Brad , welcome to the forum. This car looks like it is a awful long was from being complete again considering what you have told us. If you have a budget for returnig this car to street worthiness you may be money ahead to buy a car that is mostly turn key. Then you can start modding later but start driving it now. What I see is a money pit. I'm not saying it to be a butthole either. I've had some money pits of my own. This car isn't a roller , in my opinion. A roller is a complete car minus engine and transmission. This car is a parts car that has givin most of it's parts.

If you are just building a drag car for the track then you are in decent shape.

**this is just my lousy opinion and that is all**
If it were up to me and I was able financially and physically able I would try to save them all! It hurts me to see them stripped and parted. So if bringing it back is your goal and you understand the huge amount of odd and ends that probably are missing then go for it and don't let anyone tell you different. But to me it looks like a donor for more comete cars. I know where about five are sitting in my area I wish I could get before some guy buys them to part but I'm not teliing anyone where they are. I'd bet you could drive around and spot one in a backyard that is complete for a very cheap price.
Anyway, good luck on however you decide to go and most importantly have a blast building it.

al
Old 05-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

Welcome to thirdgen.org.

Since you are set on an LS swap, I moved this to that subforum.

If you got all of the body pieces, and the car is generally rust free, you probably have enough to work with. I started with a V6 car a neighbor had for sale, in hindsight after I bought a V8 donor car, I would probably have been better off finding a running, driveable V8 car (while I was in the middle of the swap, another neighbor pulled up to show me the running, driving '87 Formula 350 he picked up for less than I paid for my 2 cars). But, only you can decide if you stick with this one or find a more worthy platform.

You might want to check on the Classified for parts for sale. Many members have converted to a 4th gen dash when doing an LS swap, so someone may have a harness available.

The only under-hood harness you'll need are the C100 (which hopefully hasn't been cut), HVAC, and lights. The rest to run the engine should be from the engine or a stand-alone swap harness.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:10 PM

Yes I have all the exterior pieces, all in great shape with no rust. I believe I've got a good platform to start with, budget wise there really isn't one, I bought it with intentions of it being a long term project. Most of the work will be done my self. Thank you all for the input and I'll keep you all posted as I make progress
Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 AM

Car: 87 Gta
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Welcome to the forum.
As others have said you might be better off finding a different car as far as the $$ goes but if you're set on that car then it'll be fun. If you're going to do a ls swap I would just find a crashed 4th gen. You can use alot of stuff from that car for your project.