LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

L83 - Gen V Small Block Swap

Old 05-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L83 - Gen V Small Block Swap

First hello all, been lurking awhile and trying to read up.

HOWEVER,

I have questions that I feel I have to ask as I'm in the planning and part gathering stage of my swap.

I don't have a build thread so I'm going to lay it out like this:
Swap subject: 1987 TPI Camaro
Swap engine: 2014 Full Pullout of L83 and 6L90e - wiring and ecm included

I've been researching and searching and searching and .... you get the idea

Questions:
  1. Has anyone on here actually done a gen 5 swap into a gen 3 f-body?
  2. What did you do for a trans?
  3. Engine Mounts - Did you use http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans-Dapt/969/4520/10002/-1
  4. Trans crossmember ideas?
  5. 6l90e require insane tunnel work?
  6. Rear-End (suspect this will be a hot button)
  7. E85 is the goal - I've read up on e85 on the 3rd gen, what did you decide to do?
  8. .....thanks in advance

So many many more questions, but I think I need to get a baseline first.

NOTE: I would prefer to converse with someone who has actually done (or is doing) the swap - but since beggers can't be choosers I can live with some theoretical and comparisons to LS swaps
Old 05-25-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Re: L83 - Gen V Small Block Swap

Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

Originally Posted by LT1-GenV-Swap
First hello all, been lurking awhile and trying to read up.

HOWEVER,

I have questions that I feel I have to ask as I'm in the planning and part gathering stage of my swap.

I don't have a build thread so I'm going to lay it out like this:
Swap subject: 1987 TPI Camaro
Swap engine: 2014 Full Pullout of L83 and 6L90e - wiring and ecm included

I've been researching and searching and searching and .... you get the idea

Questions:
  1. Has anyone on here actually done a gen 5 swap into a gen 3 f-body?
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]
  5. [*]
  6. [*]
Some TGO members have. I haven't in my 3rd gen, but I'm running it in my '57 (stroked LQ4, L92 heads, Holley Hi-Ram intake, etc. 435 RWHP at mile high altitude). You'd have to swap in all the stuff for flexfuel if you want to run it without tuning just for E85. I would guess you would have to have the sensors et al active in order to run it without tuning, in fact.

So many many more questions, but I think I need to get a baseline first.

NOTE: I would prefer to converse with someone who has actually done (or is doing) the swap - but since beggers can't be choosers I can live with some theoretical and comparisons to LS swaps
You could do worse.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the quick reply five7kid, much appreciated.

Research thus far:

Motor mounts are different from ls, just different enough to not be compatible. Time to get the tape measure and try and mock this thing up, I don't know how far forward the engine would need to sit to clear the firewall, there are three "trans-dapt" measurements and I would need to try and shoehorn the engine in there with one of them.

I asked about Trans because I wondered what was chosen and why. I already have a 6L80e (sorry the 90 was a typo- my bad) that came with the pullout. The entire thing only has 10,000 miles on it... I got it all for a song and a dance - for some reason hot rodders haven't caught up to the Direct Injection yet, OH THEY WILL. Anyway I've got it and I'd love to reuse just about everything that I can.

Upon more research I really lucked out, all 2014 L83's are flex fuel by design - Sensors, injectors, Ethanol sensor, pcm all already setup and tuned in for me. Just a few fuel system considerations and I'm at my e85 goals as long as I don't get too HP-Happy.

Trans-Crossmember: I found one for a 68 chevy (custom fabbed) I wonder how much that would cross over, or if it could be made to work. Might be worth looking into.

Tunnel work:
Well that's not ideal, but if I already have the trans and it's got so few miles it'd be a crying shame to ditch it. More research required - Probably the kind with a tape measure and jack stands.

Rear End: I'm worried about all that torque (e85 2014 l83 is really torquey from factory 380hp/410tq), compared to what these things came stock with. I'm a tame driver and almost never stomp my cars... so, I may be WAY over thinking this one. No slicks or strip time is ever intended for this car.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:04 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Yeah, the mount bosses are higher off the block surface.

I like the idea of the Spohn mounts, but they would need modded for the Gen V.

Those trans-dapts use a very old, weaker rubber mount design. Why anyone goes with that instead of designing for 74-up style is beyond me.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can add some further relevant information to this thread. As already mentioned, the mount hole pattern of the Gen V block is different than that of the LS series engines, as is the stand-off height of the mounting bosses of the mounts; the Gen V bosses are 3/8" taller than the LS bosses on each side of the block.

This means that using any flat-plate or slider type brackets is going to create installed crankshaft height issues that are even worse than it has been for LS engines to date.

Holley will be introducing some new engine swap mounting components in the near future that will provide a logical way to overcome this issue in 3rd-gen Gen V swaps as well as many other vehicle application. It's a little too early for me to post images of what I'm speaking of, but I can give you a general written description that I think you will all understand.

The mounts being referred to will be comprised of 4th-gen F-body style poly inserts which are installed in new proprietary stamped clam shell housings, with the Gen V bolt pattern geometry, that draw the inserts closer to the block so that it cancels out the 3/8" taller height of the Gen V mounting bosses. The main through-bolt position of these mounts will be in the same identical position the through bolts are at on a an LS engine with 4th-gen F-body mounts attached to it.

The geometry has also been structured so that the bellhousing mating plane location ends up in exactly the same location as with an LS engine mounted with 4th-gen F-body mounts.

What this means in a nutshell is that you will be able to perform a drop-in install of a Gen V engine into any application previously designed around the use of 4th-gen F-body engine mounts.

That would include stock 1998-2002 4th-gen F-body cars, 1993-97 F-body cars with Hooker LS swap brackets, 3rd-gen F-body cars with Hooker LS swap brackets and 1964-72 GM A-body cars with Hooker LS swap engine brackets.

I don't have an exact release date to report, but my guess will be within the next 60 days.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:18 PM

I will be in line to get one of these!!! That's very exciting to me, since in researching this swap carefully, this was one of the biggest problems people can foresee.

The next would be oilpan choice. Question: Do you happen to know if these will still clear a specific aftermarket oilpan (ie the holley swap lt1 pan)?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, the Holley LT pan will be fully compatible with the mounts in all applications where we used the 302-2 pan for LS engine installations...the 3rd-gen F-body is one of those applications.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:03 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Are you SURE you got ALL the wiring and controllers to make that engine run?

I looked up an article how to do an LT1 swap and it looks like a real headache compared to LS3 swap. And then I see that the Gen V L83 engine is only something like 355 Hp and I fail to see the upside to this swap. I'm not afraid of change (I'm an engineer that has to push the limits in my job) but there has to be an upside and I just can't figure out what it is?
Old 12-28-2017, 02:42 PM

LT1, I was curious about your project. How is it going?
Old 12-31-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: '16 Camaro SS, '88 IROC
Engine: 6.2 Gen V
Transmission: 6 spd TR6060

I am in the process of doing a Gen V LT1 swap into an 88 IROC. I am early in the process. I have an engine and trans, 2017 LT1 with TR6060 trans. I am dealing with one issue at a time. I am currently adding the Holley LT accessory kit and Holley LT oil pan. I had issues with both. Missing parts and gaskets. I have the Dirty Dingo swap mounts, DD-LT-6550C. Once the pan is back on, I will put the engine and trans in place to see where the shifter would go. That is the next issue, the TR6060 shifter. I gotta make something custom. The Hawks Short Throw Retro shifter I bought will not work without major work. It was made for a 2015 or earlier TR6060. I had not noticed this before I ordered.

Next up: Wiring harness, exhaust, fuel delivery, Dash gauges.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: '16 Camaro SS, '88 IROC
Engine: 6.2 Gen V
Transmission: 6 spd TR6060

I will be in line to get one of these!!! That's very exciting to me, since in researching this swap carefully, this was one of the biggest problems people can foresee.

The next would be oilpan choice. Question: Do you happen to know if these will still clear a specific aftermarket oilpan (ie the holley swap lt1 pan)?
Anything new with your swap? I am making slow progress due to the weather. So far, I am not running into any problems. I finally got all the parts for the transmission and I am ready to see how everything fits. I think I need to make the shifter hole bigger.

Search this Thread