LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LQ4 into Iroc, Which Swap Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LQ4 into Iroc, Which Swap Kit?

Hey every one, I've bought a LQ4+4L80e out of a 2001 2500 hd with hopes of swapping it into my 89 iroc. I'm wondering what engine swap kit would work best with the 4l80e and isn't too expensive I'm on a tight budget and will have to stretch every penny. I plan to add a single turbo in the future. From what I've heard BMR no longer makes a trans Xmember for this swap is this true??
Old 06-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 405 Likes on 258 Posts
Car: 1984 TA (1 stock / 1 custom)
Engine: LG4 / turbo LQ4
Transmission: 700R4 / 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Stock / 4:11 Moser 9"
Re: LQ4 into Iroc, Which Swap Kit?

True - BMR no longer makes the 4L80E crossmember.
I'm using a crossmember from PA Racing in my '84 TA. Fits great.
http://www.paracing.com/racingstore/...roducts_id=262

And whatever you do DON'T use Spohn's LS swap mounts. They don't fit right. The engine will sit crooked and there will be hardly any clearance between the oil pan (4th gen f-body pan) and factory k-member.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

Originally Posted by BoostLQ4Life
I'm wondering what engine swap kit would work best with the 4l80e and isn't too expensive I'm on a tight budget and will have to stretch every penny. I plan to add a single turbo in the future.
Well, this could be a problem. "3rd gen LS swap" and "budget" don't typically belong in the same paragraph. Add "turbo" to the discussion and you're WAY out of bed.

But...

Holley/Hooker came out recently with their "Blackheart" line of swap stuff. Their engine and transmission mounts seem to be the best engineered out there to get the engine/transmission set in the chassis properly. The transmission crossmember https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...ts/71222005HKR (also click on "Parts & Kits") has the added bonus of mounting the torque arm to it, getting it off of the transmission (especially nice since most transmissions don't have a torque arm built in like 3rd gen f-bodies need). And the 4L80 is included in the transmissions for which the crossmember works (with an adapter).

Of course, you'll need more. The LQ4 oil pan sticks really, really low, giving you next to no ground clearance. So, figure on finding a '98-'02 f-body LS1 oil pan, or get Holley's pan. And, the LQ4 exhaust manifolds won't fit within the 3rd gen frame (unless you cut the outlet flange ears off and figure out some other way to attach an exhaust pipe). Again, though, the '98-'02 exhaust manifolds fit well, if you can find some (the later years are supposed to be better). Of course, Hooker also has an excellent exhaust system available for the LS swap into 3rd gens, from headers to duals to tips, but if turbo is in your future, you probably don't want to spend the coin on that (which, being a first quality system, involves a lot of coin).

Oh, I used Spohn engine mounts on my first swap and didn't have any particular issues. I used adapter plates for 3rd gen SBC mounts on the 2nd. In both cases I notched the K-member for oil pan clearance (I don't see that as a particular issue if you can cut & weld). If I had dropped the K-member and mounted the engine/trans to it before installing, I could have gotten away without notching it with the Spohn mounts.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:21 PM

This is a huge releif knowing I don't have to make a Xmember. Do you know if I need solid engine mounts for 700 hp? My power goal is around there in the long run, my dash cracked from a violent cold start and I put a dash cap in this spring, don't want to have to worry if my dash is going to break from engine vibration but I also need mounts that can handle turbo numbers. which mounts do you think will be a good combination?
Old 06-09-2017, 05:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 405 Likes on 258 Posts
Car: 1984 TA (1 stock / 1 custom)
Engine: LG4 / turbo LQ4
Transmission: 700R4 / 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Stock / 4:11 Moser 9"

I'm using UMIs swap mounts and solid motor mounts. Your build sounds a lot like the turbo LQ4 build I'm in the middle of. Here's some links. The first is my build thread and the second is for installing CXRacing's LS turbo kit:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...-am-build.html

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/powe...-ls-based.html
Old 06-12-2017, 08:56 AM

Sorry for the late response, my truck (93 toyota pickup, daily) just blew a head gasket and It's forcing me to put the swap money into my daily. Going to have to put the swap on hold for a bit.

I was planning on getting the cx racing turbo kit down the road, my goal for the summer is to get the drivetrain in and running stock with the truck harness and as many truck parts as I can use until I have money for the turbo kit.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:20 AM

Been busy all summer finaly have time to continue my lq4 build. I'm watching creigslist for 4th gen camaro parts particularly engine accesorries and oil pan. Is there any parts I can use off of a gen II LT engine or do I need to get parts only from 98-02 Ls?