LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

What Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC LSX
Engine: 5.7 TPI - LS1 Forged by LME
Transmission: 700r4 - 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23 - 3.73
What Boost?

OK, So now that the LS1 swap is complete it is time for upgrades. Aside from Nitrus , What would be the Ideal Power adder? Asking mainly for clearance issues and such. Don't want to chop up the car. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 380 Likes on 292 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Re: What Boost?

Originally Posted by jazzdadss
OK, So now that the LS1 swap is complete it is time for upgrades. Aside from Nitrus , What would be the Ideal Power adder? Asking mainly for clearance issues and such. Don't want to chop up the car. Any advise would be appreciated.

What is your budget, and what are your goals? Without those, your options are infinite.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 2012 LS9
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 60 3.54:1

Nitrous is the cheapest & easiest to install, but it costs a lot to use it, which never goes away.
Also the bottle gets empty quick, so you always run the risk of running out.
Plan on buying a few spare bottles & the maintenance of keeping the bottle temp/pressure correct.

Superchargers allow you to retain your existing exhaust if you already have it upgraded.
Packaging is relatively easy, but your initial investment is a lot more over nitrous.

Turbo's typically can give the most potential power if you are going to the extreme, but can be the hardest to package.

I've always been a fan of centrifugal superchargers. Easy to install, no hood clearance issues & it's like they are not there until you mash the throttle.
I've installed tons of these over the years. Power comes on more gradual & increases with RPM.

Roots/Eaton style give a bigger boost in the low to midrange, but seem to be more limited in top end power. I've always felt these were great in trucks & heavy cars. I'm in the process of building one of these for my Firebird.

To me superchargers are the most predictable... no lag or spooling issues if you lift & get back on the throttle.

Turbos have a definite mannerism that you have to get used to, but are downright powerful if sized correctly. They are also easy to change boost levels on, whereas a charger needs pulleys/belts changed.

You notice I did not pick one.... it all depends on your needs & desires for the vehicle.

Last edited by Lonnie P; 10-02-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:53 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

I'm not sure you can just ***** nilly decide to use nitrous or boost because of engine design considerations. What are the engine specs, and what power adder did LME build it for?
Old 10-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC LSX
Engine: 5.7 TPI - LS1 Forged by LME
Transmission: 700r4 - 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23 - 3.73

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I'm not sure you can just ***** nilly decide to use nitrous or boost because of engine design considerations. What are the engine specs, and what power adder did LME build it for?

Thanks for some input Fellas. Centrifugal supercharger Sounds more like what I am looking for.

The bottom end was built with stock crank, Forged rods and pistons to handle a 250 shot or so. 243 heads and LS6 intake with TSP V3 cam. I know I would need to change cam and upgrade PCM (running 98 PCM ) .

The car is a fun little tire fryer but lacks that mid to upper end pull. I am not using it for competition or so. I may take it out for a day at the track to play but nothing serious. I want it to be something that will still put me in the seat at higher speeds.
I want everything to fit under the hood and without knowing who makes a set up for our cars ( being as they didn't come with an LS ) It is a bit of a daunting task to figure these things out without tons of research. I don't have much time for that any more.

​​​​​​​Any and all advise appreciated.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

I’ve run a centri and a turbo on my 5.3 and I will tell you the turbo is better for mid and upper rpm. It’s like a slingshot that never ends. You can retain 3” stock style catback and still manage 900hp through it. A simple bolt on CX turbo kit and a cast or billet 78/75 will get the job done. I’ve been up to 15psi on a stock u touched 5.3 (didn’t even gap the rings) and I run 93 pump (cheapest in town). I’ve maxed out my 72lb injectors at like 15-16psi or as close as I want to get to maxing then out. Turbo is better in most ways and I hated dealing with the centri belt slip on a 8rib with green back belt and they put a lot of stress on the end of the crank, they also require power to make power. Nice thing about turbo is the car acts stock till u get on it and then boost hits and it’s just wicked.
The following users liked this post:
jazzdadss (10-14-2019)