LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

84 berlinetta getting 5.3 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 berlinetta getting 5.3 swap questions

Hello all, im new here and about to start my first ever engine swap . Im going to be swapping in an l59 and 4l60e from an 04 yukon and i have some questions. The yukon is a running driving parts car. Got it for cheap because customer didnt want to replace brake lines on it.

As far as me having the Berlinetta with the electronic cluster, can i get the yukons computer to work with my cluster? If not is there an adaptor i can buy to use my facotry cluster? Or do i have to get a new cluster?

Also, as far as the fuel system, do i need to change my factory pump ? Or will it work with this engine? Only mod i plan on before installing is a new cam. Nothing major just a minor cam to give a little rumble. On that note, any ideas on cams for it?

Lastly, any modifications i have to do for brakes or steering system?

And if you have any tips for me or anything else i may need to change other than the pulley systems for the stock hood and motor mounts please let me know. This is the car ive been trying to build for years and its finally all coming together. Trying to keep prices down for now until we are outta this virus situation.

Thank you all for any and all input.

Last edited by Anthony Smolen; 04-18-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 2.8 V6 For Now
Re: 84 berlinetta getting 5.3 swap questions

Hello and welcome to the LS swap world. I will try to answer your questions the best way I can and based off my own build. The first thing I would say is use the “SEARCH” button on here, there is a lot of great information and basically will help walk you through your swap. Secondly I would study members build threads, take notes and come up with a solid game plan before you turn your first bolt on either vehicle. A LS swap can get of control and overwhelming real quick if you are shooting it from the hip.

As for your questions. Pretty much nothing from STOCK on your car is going to work with the engine swap. LS engines control its gauges off one signal serial data wire, your car does not have that technology. I decided to use a v8 Camaro cluster in my swap way easier and cheaper then aftermarket gauges. l Read over this link below and it pretty much will walk you through the electrical side of the swap. The member name is POCKET and from what I have seen he is the man in this area of the LS swaps. Also below is a link of wire diagrams for LS engines. A lot of good information, and where you would need to send your LS computer to get the VATS removed.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...p-3rd-gen.html

http://www.lt1swap.com/
Old 04-18-2020, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 2.8 V6 For Now

Fuel system you defiantly going to have to invest in some parts. There is a couple of ways you can do this. Google “third gen camaro LS swap fuel system” and go from there. The parts below is what I used to supply fuel to my engine.

WIX Filters - 33737 Fuel (Complete In-Line) referred to as the corvette filter

Walbro GSL392-400-939 Inline Fuel Pump 255LPH HIGH PRESSURE (Universal External Pump)

And all the lines and fittings needed depending on how you route your fuel system.

Still trying to figure out my cam build so I don’t have any information to tell you on that.

There is plenty more to explain but it will take me all day. Like I said before use the search bar, and google all your answers. I have noticed if you start the search in GOOGLE with “third gen Camaro” then your question then it typically will show you a list of threads from TGO. For example (third gen camaro LS swap engine mounts) its going to show you everything.

I hope I helped some. I still building and learning myself on my first LS swap, but with a lot of ready and studying I finally got it running and is driving it. Hit me up if you got anymore questions.

Check out my build for ideas and to see the mistakes I made so maybe you want make them also.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome! The LS swap is definitely worth it, and you’re asking the right questions. As Destro Camaro said, search and check out completed build threads. This an example of how I do a Google search:

site:thirdgen.org lsx fuel pump

Your engine is a generation III small block. It has a 24X reluctor, and it will work with a cable throttle body. The usual engine management is done with a GM 411 PCM, and it will have to be programmed by a tuner. I don’t know if your Yukon computer will work. The wiring harness that connects the PCM to the engine sensors is a big challenge. You can buy a generic harness and connect it to the PCM. It’s best to integrate some of the wiring with your Berlinetta’s factory wiring (such as gauges and power). There is a lot of info on this site to help you. Another option with engine management is aftermarket like Holley, Fast, and MSD. You can also do carburetor with an LS, but you’d have to change your car’s hood to make room. Check this out for your car’s wiring through the firewall:

https://berlinetta.info/C100.htm

You’ll have to use an f-body (99+ Camaro Z28) oil pan, an f-body intake manifold, and an f-body accessory drive (alternator, steering pump, etc). The LS style steering pump will work with your steering box. Vortec style of the aforementioned parts are too big. All the engine systems have to integrate with your car, so think it through and see what others have done. Your fuel system, for example, will need a high pressure fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. There are many ways to do add it. You can add an intake pump, add an in-line pump, or connect the entire gas tank from a 99+ LS Camaro. Good luck, take your time, and have fun with the project.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 305/350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.27

i had one of those berlinetta's.i loved that car,shame you cant find another car to cut up and mess with as that one looks great.they are a nice driving ,handling car for fair weather cruising.i daily drove mine for 10 years and hands down ,it was the best ,most enjoyable car i ever owned.yes,it wasnt a race car but i knew that and just enjoyed it for exactly what it was.