Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

83 Z28(slow but steady progress)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28 T-top
Engine: 350 carb'd
Transmission: 700r4
Re: 83 Z28(slow but steady progress)

I finally managed to get my Toyota moved out of my garage, now it is time to get back to the Camaro. I need to do a bit of cleanup in my garage after the fiasco that my Toyota turned into, but this week should see some progress. Unfortunately my youngest managed to get to my camera, and it no longer works. Not sure what I am going to do, I dislike PnS cameras but I don't have the cash for a new DSLR body. In the meantime I will try to get a few pics with my phone until I can decide if it is worth spending the cash to get this old camera fixed or buy another.

Right now the plan is to get the garage cleaned up tonight, pull the hood back off the Camaro, and then figure out why my air cleaner is interfering with my throttle. I am getting an inconsistent idle speed after resetting the idle mixture screws, but the issue only occurs when I have the air cleaner installed. I may be able to massage it a bit to get it to clear, if not I don't know for sure what I can do. If I could find a 1/4" spacer it might work, but the 14" cleaner is already pretty close to the hood so I am not sure if I have enough room for anything else. Regardless, once the hood is off I will begin finally getting the new fender mounted up and adjusted. Once I have the fitment right I will prep the fender for a coat of black single stage to protect it until I am ready for a full paint job and body work. I will be coating the bumper cover with the same color/paint as well before it is installed for the final time. Hopefully some pictures and updates later this week!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

great build
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Want a title? Post!

Car: 91 RS
Engine: goodwrench 350
Transmission: turbo 350

nice project what a steal at 200
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 AM

Thanks guys!

Sorry I haven't been around much, and haven't really done much to the car. The last two months have cost me a bit of cash because of my kids' birthdays, and I am working on a big plan for my wife and I's anniversary (15) this year. We are planning to hit Vegas in July, renew our vows, and a few other fun things, and that has really tied up my cash flow because I know we may not get back down there for a long time, so I am planning to stay in a nice suite for the 3 days we will be there. I had hoped to take the Camaro for this, but that isn't going to happen, and I will most likely rent a car for the drive (I want something nicer than our standard stuff), or I may end up chancing the Cadillac my brother gave me. The Camaro still needs new tires but my daily driver also needs new tires and it is far more important at this point, so the Camaro gets pushed back again. I am still hoping to get the fender and front bumper stuff done before we go, and then she is probably going outside under a car cover, or I may actually buy an aluminum car port and a car cover, so I can start my Blazer project. Regardless, I hope to have some updates on progress soon, or at least actually get back to it and get something done.

At this point I can say that the erratic idle is being caused by something else, quite possibly the damaged line for the brake booster, but not by the air cleaner. It could also be a bad throttle cable, I just don't know for sure at this point. She still fires right up, but sometimes the idle is perfect at around 8-900, while other times it is as high as 2300, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it I can find. I am sure I can work it out, I just need to buckle down and go over everything.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 camaro irocz
Engine: l98 tpi
Axle/Gears: 2.77

nice project ! life seems to get in the way alot .lol i've had mine 3 years an only about a quarter of the way i want it .lol good luck !
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Car: 89' Camaro RS
Engine: 5.3 Vortec
Transmission: Th400
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi

great deal for that price.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by freaky
nice project ! life seems to get in the way alot .lol i've had mine 3 years an only about a quarter of the way i want it .lol good luck !
I am always prepared for the curves that life throws. Just the way it goes sometimes, but I do my best not to let it get to me. In this case I just remember that even though I can't drive it, or really finish it yet, I still have it and that isn't going to change. At my age you just learn to roll with the punches, but next year this thing WILL be on the road, one way or another. It might even make it onto the road this year, but that is looking unlikely. At least my wife will be happy, and she knows how much it is killing me not to just run out and buy everything I need to finish it up and instead focus on something for her and I.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 factory

sweet car man for 200 bucks cant complain lol
and is that a lu5 hood? looks like it has the openings for the fuctonal hood scoops or did someone just cut out covers?

and sweet i got a 82 and wondered if the tag on the rad support was a rpo tag like my old 78 bird
Old 05-10-2012, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by 82z28 wrencher
sweet car man for 200 bucks cant complain lol
and is that a lu5 hood? looks like it has the openings for the fuctonal hood scoops or did someone just cut out covers?

and sweet i got a 82 and wondered if the tag on the rad support was a rpo tag like my old 78 bird
Thanks! A PO cut out the openings, it was the reason that the water got into the engine after the last owner removed and never replaced the carb. The hood is damaged in the front corner from the wreck, and I am actively seeking a new hood, but I will use this one for the time being. A couple months ago I passed on an LU5 hood with the scoops and I have been kicking myself since. I think I can find a way to make them useful, but it is way down the road.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 factory

Originally Posted by lectric80
Thanks! A PO cut out the openings, it was the reason that the water got into the engine after the last owner removed and never replaced the carb. The hood is damaged in the front corner from the wreck, and I am actively seeking a new hood, but I will use this one for the time being. A couple months ago I passed on an LU5 hood with the scoops and I have been kicking myself since. I think I can find a way to make them useful, but it is way down the road.
ahh i see yeah the lu5 hoods are a hard find ive seen the normal non fuctonal fiberglass ones but never a lu5 and yeah at least the 2 little holes dont look bad could be worse could be a huge hole like the dumbies did to my lu5 hood...... but anyway keep it going man
Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 AM

So, I have been away for a while, mostly due to spending time with my family. It's been a busy summer, and money has been a bit tight and the Camaro and all other projects went right onto the back burner. Now that the kids started school, I am getting impatient to get started on a big project and the money is starting to flow a bit more freely, it is soon time to move forward on this thing.

I came across a possible deal on the front bumper steel portion, just waiting to hear from the guy what it is going to cost me. Once I have that part this project will be able to move ahead into the open air, and out of my garage, although it will be living there a bit longer.

The plan moving forward is to first get this steel bumper portion, get the nose assembled and order/install the lockup kit. I am likely just going to go with the TCI setup from Summit, and I am throwing in a Corvette Servo. I am also going to go ahead, since I need to drop the pan anyway, and install a new filter. From there it may take a month or so to get all 4 tires picked up and installed, then she will either go outside under a car cover for the winter, or I may go ahead and get her licensed so I can drive her when there has been no snow, or SALT, on the roads for a few days. Either way I have started to get excited again to get her out and running.

More updates coming very soon!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28 & 1967 RS & 2002 Z28
Engine: 388 ci SB / 454 ci BB / LS1
Transmission: 4 speed / TH350 / T56
Axle/Gears: '91 "1LE" rear, posi w/ 3.23's

Keep up the good work UT needs more 3rd gens !!!

~DaVe
Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 AM

Well, I haven't been around in a long while, mostly because things haven't worked out to actually work on this car. Seems like every time I started to get a bit ahead, something would come along and knock me back further into trouble.

Well, almost 2 months ago my wife and I finally decided to quit renting and buy us a house. Part of the requirements were a decent sized garage so the Camaro can continue to live it's new sheltered life. I found a nice big (for me at least) house with an oversized 2 car garage and now the Camaro is happily living, although not currently actually able to run (no battery). The day before we got the keys my wife's aunt passed away and left us a pretty decent chunk of change. We have some plans obviously, especially having just bought a house, but I get to take a nice chunk for myself to get the Camaro on the road. My wife wants her to be ready to run by the end of March so we can make a run out to Wendover for her birthday.

To that end, I have a list of parts and a few questions on recommendations: (see the red sections for pertinent questions right now)

1. TCI lockup controller
2. New power steering pump and lines
3. New 235/60r15 tires on the Z28 5 spokes
4. New front bumper and filler panel (likely going to order used)
5. Fix the high beam control lever
6. New front rotors and pads
7. Adjust the rear hatch window so it doesn't drag on the spoiler

Next up is I'm considering upgrading the suspension to the Eibach Sportline springs, but I need to have some options on shocks that will provide a decent ride and good handling. Any suggestions from those in the know? Is there anything typically required to adjust the alignment after installing these springs? I ask because I know a few here have used those springs, so hopefully I can get some opinions.

I'm also thinking about just replacing the control arms with new tubular units, but I need to insure that they will work with a new k-member down the line when I get ready to drop an LS in. So, what control arms are going to work in this way, and who makes a k-member that is ready for an LS and will work with the control arms? Any brands more recommended than others? I have so far been looking at the BMR units, but I don't have my heart set on any particular brand without knowing the answer above.

Finally I may go ahead and order a new gauge set, with a new dash insert from Classic. Not sure which gauge package I will go with yet, we will see how much I spend above, but springs and shocks are a must.

I will see where this puts me financially, and how much my wife is willing to let me spend, then I may consider replacing the rear end links with new tubular parts. Worst case scenario I will make it part of next winters projects, which I still haven't fully decided on. I plan to basically drive her during the spring/summer and then plan for a project for the following winter and buy the necessary parts for it. This way, even when she is parked for the winters, I can continue to upgrade as I work towards my ultimate goal for how I want her finished up. Hopefully I can get some answers on some of this stuff without having to start seperate topics elsewhere.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:42 AM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z / T-Top -1987 GTA
Engine: 305 (LO3) _350 (L98)
Transmission: 700R4 _ 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 L.S. - ???

nice man, hope you get her the way you want her ... and just so you (and anyone else reading this) know, you dont "need" a pressure regulator when running a carb on an injection pump ... you can just get a fuel filter (for about $3) that has a third nipple on it for a return line ... i did that with my crate 350 and it held about 9 psi and never starved for fuel at wot
Old 12-18-2013, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Barlow8869
nice man, hope you get her the way you want her ... and just so you (and anyone else reading this) know, you dont "need" a pressure regulator when running a carb on an injection pump ... you can just get a fuel filter (for about $3) that has a third nipple on it for a return line ... i did that with my crate 350 and it held about 9 psi and never starved for fuel at wot
Luckily mine was never injected, although that will change when I do go to an LS. I will probably go ahead and throw a new fuel pump in while I am doing this work, just for reliability sake.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 AM

"I plan to eventually restore the crossfire injection that was, I believe, originally on this car, but upgrade the injectors to power the 350" ... that was where i got that it was injected ... did you find out it was not a crossfire? ... i know this is going to sound stupid, but i have seen it happen 2 times, with my own eyes ... if you run an injected pump with a carb and no regulator or return line, it can blow the valve covers off the motor ... it will fill the oil with gas, from holding to much pressure when the car is shut off for the float valves to shut off all the flow

Last edited by Barlow8869; 12-18-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:15 AM

Yeah, later on I posted that it wasn't originally a crossfire. Unfortunately my data tag is completely unreadable, but it appears this was just a base model Z28 originally, nothing really fancy. Luckily, there are so many upgrades and parts available that I can really build this car into the car that I wish GM would have built it to be.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:19 AM

i must have somehow missed that, sorry about that ... she is looking good so far, hope things keep going smoothly for you, and you and the wife get to take that trip in her ... when i got my iroc, my wife hated it, then she got to go for a few late night cruses in it with the t-tops out, and i got a little body work done on it, and now she loves it ... lol

Last edited by Barlow8869; 12-18-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Barlow8869
i must have somehow missed that, sorry about that ... she is looking so far, hope things keep going smoothly for you, and you and the wife get to take that trip in her ... when i got my iroc, my wife hated it, then she got to go for a few late night cruses in it with the t-tops out, and i got a little body work done on it, and now she loves it ... lol
No worries, maybe I forgot to post it, it is entirely possible.

My wife initially didn't want me to get the car, but since I paid for it and it really hasn't cost us too much she has softened on it. She wants to get out on trips in it, especially since she knows that all the kids can't fit in it at the same time, so it will mostly just be trips with us. Right now she is more willing to let me spend money on this car since I have been talking about buying a Lotus so that she will allow me to spend more on this car.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:38 AM

wow, i had missed a bunch of posts in this thread, not sure how i did that, but all caught up now ... lol
Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 AM

was a good read, hope to read more about it soon ... and the lotus trick was nice ... haha
Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5

Glad you are still chipping away at it.
I understand the "life" thing completely. I got my '91 'Bird over a year ago and still don't have it on the road.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 PM

Car: '89 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears

Pretty good reading so far. Your k-member question, UMI, BMR, and Spohn all make pretty good pieces. There does seem to be some brand loyalty on here though, mostly based on opinions rather than facts. Most of them allow you the option of either using the stock control arms or using tubular ones. Most of the questions you may have about putting in a LS engine are in the sticky threads on the LS board.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by khulsebus
Pretty good reading so far. Your k-member question, UMI, BMR, and Spohn all make pretty good pieces. There does seem to be some brand loyalty on here though, mostly based on opinions rather than facts. Most of them allow you the option of either using the stock control arms or using tubular ones. Most of the questions you may have about putting in a LS engine are in the sticky threads on the LS board.
Cool, I will check that thread out when I get closer. Right now I'm looking at the Spohn stuff, mostly based on price. I'm trying not to go too overboard at this point, but at the same time make sure that I'm thinking ahead to future upgrades as well as well as safety now.

To that end, I have been making up a list for this winter's project, which is mostly focused on getting her ready to drive and safe. This includes all new front end components, lower control arms, new Sportline springs, new KYB AGX shocks/struts, new front brake components as needed, lockup controller, power steering pump and lines, and a couple of interior upgrades which could include a double DIN stereo with GPS built in. I may also see if I can swing the cash to have a new Magnaflow exhaust system put in with new high flow cat. I'm sure the current cat is probably pretty choked off at this point, but exhaust upgrades are going to depend on how much I spend. I have to plan for suspension upgrades that may be required as a result of the springs, but I'm hopeful it will be safe until next year.

I have one guy on another forum who deals in Autometer stuff and can probably get me a good deal on all new gauges. I'm waiting for a quote from him on a couple of different sets, and then comparing them to Classic with the dash insert they have. The dash insert is a must, but buying the gauges from them really isn't since I have other sources that will probably save me some cash. I plan to do the GPS speedo input instead of the trans mounted unit.

I'm also planning ahead for the next couple of winter projects, and making most of the suspension upgrades happen next year. I have always done better when I think big picture and plan further ahead than is strictly necessary. My hope is that I can hit the suspension work and get ready for paint, then the last project will be the LSx and a 6 speed manual conversion, along with likely going to a Moser 9". Each step will be planned and I will make purchases with future planning in mind. This also allows me to buy when deals come along, since I know what parts I want to install later on down the road. At least that's the plan.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:24 PM

Car: '89 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears

If you are looking at Spohn because of their price, take a look at Founders. I got a few pieces from them that I'll be throwing on while I'm back in the states for the holidays.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by khulsebus
If you are looking at Spohn because of their price, take a look at Founders. I got a few pieces from them that I'll be throwing on while I'm back in the states for the holidays.
I will check out Founders as well. Price has to be a consideration, even with a good chunk of cash in my hand, which won't be the case for a week or two at least. I could easily go hog wild and spend a ton of cash all at once, but I really want to just get her out and then adjust as needed.