Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Please please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 irocz
Please please help

I have an 89 camaro riocz with the 305 Tbi in it. Every since day after i got it the car radomly cuts off, when at i slow down in the car, at like red lights and low idle etc. So i have had it looked at multiple times by numerous mechanics. NExt i put it in the shop to have it checked out. they put a new Ecm, Fuel pump, coil, and ignition switch,fuel pump relay,fan relay,fuel pump fuse i ask the mechanic to drive it around the block and he said it did the same thing and that the battery was dead and he had to get it towed back to my house because there was nothing else he could do. once it got here i took the battery out and took it to be recharged and test, it was charged properly and the test said it was a good battery. Next i got back to the car and put the battery back in and a new fuel pump fuse ( Old one was bad) WHen i turn the key the rear hatch and radio come on and the fuel pump relay clicks but i didnt heard the fuel pump in the back. But the car will not start when i go to start it car just clicks and then nothing happens. Im completed stumped.. If any one of my Fellow 3rd gen friends are located in virginia (preferably in the hampton roads) but anywhere in Va and can take a look at it for me the would be great
Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS T-Top
Engine: 5.0 Tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Please please help

Where in Hampton Roads are you? I'm around Suffolk, send me a private message if you don't want to post it public.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:22 PM

You said the fuel pump fuse was bad, and now even after replacing it you don't hear the pump come on.

Sounds like you might have a loose/frayed wire somewhere, causing a short. That would explain the blown fuse, and the random dying. Try following the wires to the fuel pump and making sure that they're not messed up anywhere.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 PM

im located in portsmouth
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by camarohelp
You said the fuel pump fuse was bad, and now even after replacing it you don't hear the pump come on.

Sounds like you might have a loose/frayed wire somewhere, causing a short. That would explain the blown fuse, and the random dying. Try following the wires to the fuel pump and making sure that they're not messed up anywhere.

THe fuse doesnt blow anymore
Old 09-13-2015, 08:38 PM

check the the check engine codes lastnight and code 54 appeared which is fuel system ti then looked at this and noticed that the top line when it meets the meter play is loose and the metal line can be moved from side to side and up and down.could this be my problem .. oh and the fuse is good i always take it and out and put it back and i heard the relay click everytime
Old 09-22-2015, 12:55 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 LG4 & 92 TBI Firebird
Engine: The Mighty 305!
Transmission: 700R4

From that pic, it looks like the wires were spliced. I'd check those and at least replace them with some weatherproof ones.

That clamp is also wrong on the feedline for TBI. Someone must have cut all the metal lines. Get a FI clamp thats the right size on it and make sure to put a flare on the metal line so the hose doesnt blow off.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS T-Top
Engine: 5.0 Tbi
Transmission: 700r4

Yeah, that looks dangerous.